Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Winchester 1873 Nickel plated. New Purchase. HELP!

Winchester 1873 Nickel plated. New Purchase. HELP!

So I just came back from a gun show and bought an 1873 MFG 1888. It was alot of money! Im not to sure if I did a good deal or not. Its nickel plated with a crest on it. I dont know what it is. The man that I bought it from told me he had it for over 30 years, and that he didnt know what it was either. Said it seemed like a show piece since the barrel seems pristine and the nickel only has minor patina in some spots. I was walking around with the gun after I bought it and a man told me that he didnt know if the nickel was original since the wood on the grip and stock looks used compared to the metal. Anyways, I am looking for help from anyone that has advice. Thanks.

The Cody Museum is the repository for old Winchester factory records. For a fee they will send you an official letter containing all known information as to how your rifle left the factory, i.e., finish, barrel length, caliber, etc. and where it was sent. The letter is a good tool in establishing authenticity for resale.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/...earms-records/

Thanks, I have heard of it before. I would really like a paper for each Winchester I own but the fee, I think is pretty high.

If the rifle "papers out as seen", the cost of the Cody Letter would be infinitesimal compared to how much the letter would raise value of the rifle, should it be a Winchester Custom Shop Special Order rifle.

The heraldic depiction on the buttstock is the coat of arms for the Dominion of Canada, and thus most likely a presentation piece for some Canadian government dignitary,

or

just an aftermarket refinishing done by/for some proud Canadian.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride