Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationGraf & SonsRotoMetals2Wideners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Foster slug test part 1

Boolit Master

I've tried the "stay on" paper patching but it gets shredded in the bore so has a rough uneven surface. For me it didn't work. Better to shed the patch I think but smoothbore shotguns are not BP paper patch rifles so there is no rifling cutting patches and "confetti" at the muzzle. I think the patching has to come off cleanly much like a sabot. The other issue is that the patch has to survive rubbing on a rough hull, opening a crimp and the jump through the forcing cone.

Personally I think a full bore slug or a wad slug like the Lyman sabot slug and the Lee Drive Key slugs are the way to go. In the end the fit is an issue. That's why I decided to size down my Lee Drive Key slugs so I could then patch back up to snug fit for a specific bore diameter. So far the sized paper patched Lee slugs seem to be doing reasonably well but they need more testing.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Scott: I just put the mic to a few wads I have on hand and measured up the petal about 3/8th of an inch. My 12S3s are the Downrange substitute and measure .024 as does the WAA12 (white) The Western WT12 is .023 the WAA12114 (yellow) is .022 and the Claybuster 1100-12 (pink) is .021. You're almost there Maybe just a different wad. Good luck. Gp PS Got the 662 RB mould in. If you need a few let me know. Also an approx. BHN you need.
    I guess I must have lost my mind yesterday, trying to push the slug/wad combo through a rifled barrel????

I'll give it a try today using my smooth bore.

UPDATE - Using the same components and these push through my cylinderbore barrel at just shy of 10# pressure.

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 06-03-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

Were you paper patching like this where the slug locks-in like this:

If wrapped tightly and then folded right it will hold on to the slug till you fire ! !
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 06-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Nope Ajay, nothing so elaborate. That patch looks like it might have a chance. I'd like to post a picture once in a while even just for a good laugh but sadly I'm pretty much a computer "Tard" I just used a very small dab of super glue, did two tight wraps and glued the ends together then filled the HB with hot glue. Only made a couple and they are loaded. Not much lost. Will move on to the next bright idea soon. Gp

Dang it Scott, you're goin' to shoot an eye out. LOL Sometimes I have to shake my head and go "What was I thinking" Gp

Lyman Foster slug test part 1

I have an idea. I have heat shrink various thickness. This stuff is tough and some has an adhesive made in it that bonds with the material once heated. Ill heat shrink a couple slugs and measure the OD.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I have an idea. I have heat shrink various thickness. This stuff is tough and some has an adhesive made in it that bonds with the material once heated. I’ll heat shrink a couple slugs and measure the OD.
    Awesome idea, almost like the Teflon jackets they had on the 9mm ammo back in the mid 80's.

I bet you could size those up to fit any bore you wanted.

I know there is some heat shrink available that gets pretty hard afterward installation.
    SIDE NOTE: This is the stuff we used on the military jets where two tubes would cross and needed to be protected from ware.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post

I know there is some heat shrink available that gets pretty hard afterward installation.
    SIDE NOTE: This is the stuff we used on the military jets where two tubes would cross and needed to be protected from ware.

Scott
    Exactly what this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measures .730 and .735

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would hope this helps the accuracy, are you planning on using a nylon ball in the back, or are you just filling it with caulk/wood putty/hot glue? or just a hard card ?
    Can't wait for part two video using these !!!!

Scott
    Scott

38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12