Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Vintage Lyman Ideal progressive press.

Boolit Master

Vintage Lyman Ideal progressive press.

I got this press in a trade, I have all the parts for it. I tried to use it as a progressive press but it was impossible to use it that way. I ended up making a two stage press out of it and it works great. This press was designed to use 310 dies with a collet which is threaded the same as standard modern dies. Standard dies would not screw all the way in from the top. I tried screwing them on from the bottom but that was too inconvenient. As you may or may not be able to see I hollowed out the area behind where the dies screw in, making it possiable to use two dies at the same time. I used a wood chisel to chip out some of the material in both positions until I removed enough to screw the dies in. As you can see there is no orange paint behind the dies. I bought from Lee two shell holder rams for $8.00 apiece and had them machined to fit the press, that cost me $20.00. I now have a very usable press for $36.00. I can use two dies in tandem and load twice as fast as a single stage.
    I have it set up for 30-30 right now and it is very quick to change over to 38-55 or any other caliber.
    One picture shows the old 310 dies. When I made the trade it came with 4 die sets. 30-30, 30-06, 38 Special and 30 Carbine.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 05-26-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    45-70 Chevroner,

Your press is the notorious Lyman "EZY-Loader," and attempting to use it as a progressive press will likely wind up breaking either the handle wood or the bottom platform where the shell holders sit in the front. One has also been noted with a welded repair on the top casting where the handle and linkage attach.

The original dies that were used in the front two stations resembled the 310 dies but were threaded "upside down," especially for insertion from bottom to top. The 310 dies could be used with the bushings, as you are doing. They were for neck sizing/expanding and seating. The original full-length size die, only to be used in the rear center position, was unique to the press and similarly inverted as compared to standard loading dies, with an unthreaded section of smaller diameter than the rest of the die.

In experimenting with an EZY-Loader myself, I found that the press was right up to its limit doing the full-length sizing job with the die in this rear center position. I note that you scarfed out the die holder casting so regular 7/8" x 14 tpi dies, with their lock rings, could be screwed down properly. I would advise you not to use one of these stations with a full-length sizing die.

The EZY-Loader was only produced for a few years. You might check the ARTCA Site for discussions on the thing. There was also a writeup on it in one of the ARTCA Journals. It was not Lyman's finest moment when that press was introduced.

I bought one of these with the original (really cool) "lunchbox" factory cases from Stratsman. After messing around with it I realized it was not going to fit into my collection of presses. It is a really cool press nonetheless! Congratulations on the pick-up!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    45-70 Chevroner,

Your press is the notorious Lyman "EZY-Loader," and attempting to use it as a progressive press will likely wind up breaking either the handle wood or the bottom platform where the shell holders sit in the front. One has also been noted with a welded repair on the top casting where the handle and linkage attach.

The original dies that were used in the front two stations resembled the 310 dies but were threaded "upside down," especially for insertion from bottom to top. The 310 dies could be used with the bushings, as you are doing. They were for neck sizing/expanding and seating. The original full-length size die, only to be used in the rear center position, was unique to the press and similarly inverted as compared to standard loading dies, with an unthreaded section of smaller diameter than the rest of the die.

In experimenting with an EZY-Loader myself, I found that the press was right up to its limit doing the full-length sizing job with the die in this rear center position. I note that you scarfed out the die holder casting so regular 7/8" x 14 tpi dies, with their lock rings, could be screwed down properly. I would advise you not to use one of these stations with a full-length sizing die.

The EZY-Loader was only produced for a few years. You might check the ARTCA Site for discussions on the thing. There was also a writeup on it in one of the ARTCA Journals. It was not Lyman's finest moment when that press was introduced.
    I don't use the original dies at all. Just put them in to show what it looked like with them.
    I have loaded around 500 30-30's and a number of 38-55's using full length standard dies with no problems. I lube my shells using a spray lube the same as when I use my other presses there is no binding. I really think I will get a lot of years out of it using it as I have been using it.

Boolit Grand Master
    It would appear that this was one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" products that all manufacturers seem to let slip through. While collectible for purely historical value, it is not what I would consider to be a well designed press. If I were use it at all, I would put it on a very low stress regimen. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    If you can lfind a "prime O Matic " you can auto prime But you need the shell holder with the gate
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    If you can lfind a "prime O Matic " you can auto prime But you need the shell holder with the gate
    I do have all the parts for it. I have all the shell holders with gates for the different caliber dies that came with it and I have the primer feed system, the thing is, it's easier to use the Lee primer shown in one of the pictures. The primer feed system that came with it is very finicky and it does'nt always work.

Banned
    That press should be put on the shelve to look at and never use, that is unless you enjoy being frustrated, stressed out and mad at the world.
    One of the the reviews nick named it the Queasy Loader for good reason.

If you insist on using it do not even try to get the primer feed to work, it won't. Never size with the front two dies, it will break.
    You can use modern, carbide pistol dies for sizing, if you happen to have one that will thread up into the rear die station. Some Redding dies will. Or you can have a die turned down and the lathe to fit.
    As has been noted, leverage is limited, putting a cheater pipe on the handle will break things really quickly.
    Never, never loosen any of the frame bolts, once it is out of alignment getting it realigned is nearly impossible.

Otherwise it's a good press.

Ken

Boolit Master
    So far it has worked just fine as a two stage press using the front die holes and I have already fixed it to take standard dies up front screwed in from the top. As noted I have loaded quite a few 30-30's and 38-55s.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    45-70 Chevroner,

I have been using this press to load 30-30's for over two years with out any problems. I am quite sure I could load pistol rounds with out any problems.

Banned
    Pistol cases are easier to resize than rifle brass. 30-30 is putting a strain on those front die stations. It's OK now, but at some point don't be surprised if the sizer die breaks off.

Looking at your pictures your idea of making shellholder adapters from Lee rams is a great idea. Better than buying the Lyman adapters.

The Ezy Loader is really a press made to be used with 310 dies that can be used with modern dies and sometimes fatal results. Herter's little Model 27 press was made for the same market and suffered the same fate. Lee not with standing, aluminum is not well suited for press use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Pistol cases are easier to resize than rifle brass. 30-30 is putting a strain on those front die stations. It's OK now, but at some point don't be surprised if the sizer die breaks off.

Looking at your pictures your idea of making shellholder adapters from Lee rams is a great idea. Better than buying the Lyman adapters.

The Ezy Loader is really a press made to be used with 310 dies that can be used with modern dies and sometimes fatal results. Herter's little Model 27 press was made for the same market and suffered the same fate. Lee not with standing, aluminum is not well suited for press use.
    I have two Lee presses, an O frame and the little cheep open frame press. They are both Aluminum. The only thing I use the little press for is depriming with a Lee universal deprime die. The O frame is used for small cartridges, like pistol, or 223, 22 Hornet. My two main presses are a Dillon Square Deal, and a RL 550 B.