Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Wolf-like" creature shot in Montana.

Banned
    Back in the early 70's hippie days. I knew a guy who owned a female wolf. He bred her with dogs and sold the pups. The DNR in Wisconsin took the wolf away because he didn't have it kept in a proper concrete floored kennel. A couple weeks after they confiscated it, it died in their care. It was his pet.

Boolit Master
    Any kind of wild dogs bred with domestic dogs,especially very large dogs are a nightmare for farmers......They have all the cunning and savagery of wild dogs,but no fear of human scent....They dont restrict themselves to sheep,but tear cattle to pieces, hunting in small groups....They are too smart to form large packs,and restrict to small family groups..........They are extremely difficult to shoot,and rarely frequent the same spot .

The only dog I ever saw who regularly caught fox squirrels all on their own was a cross.

Part wolf, part coyote, part dog. She was scary smart. She would lay out on the front lawn and watch the silage pile. When the squirrel got far enough from his tree she would be off, a low gray streak. And she did not run at the squirrel, she ran for the tree. She'd take it right off the trunk some 3-5 feet up as she flew by.

And for the next 3 hours she'd lay out there chewing, head first with the squirrel tail bobbing up and down with every chew.

She saved my hide one day when a rather nasty bull had me tree'd on a gate post. And he was fixin to take that post down and stomp me.

She heard my yell, came a running, took one look, sized up the situation. Faced the bull head on, when he charged she grabbed him by the nose. I saw him spin her 3 times around no part of her touching ground. Then she had her feet on the ground and was leading him away. When she was ready she released, slipped through his legs, nipped at a heel, and ran him out to the pasture a quarter mile away and back 3 times. Yipping and nipping and teaching him a lesson.

2 weeks later that bull almost killed the boss. Broke 3 ribs. And then me and the wolf were both there getting him clear. We ate that bull, dang good hamburger.

Loved that wolf. She was a good one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Terrible thing to say about that poor wolfdog.
    Shot for mistaken identity?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The only dog I ever saw who regularly caught fox squirrels all on their own was a cross.

Part wolf, part coyote, part dog. She was scary smart. She would lay out on the front lawn and watch the silage pile. When the squirrel got far enough from his tree she would be off, a low gray streak. And she did not run at the squirrel, she ran for the tree. She'd take it right off the trunk some 3-5 feet up as she flew by.

And for the next 3 hours she'd lay out there chewing, head first with the squirrel tail bobbing up and down with every chew.

She saved my hide one day when a rather nasty bull had me tree'd on a gate post. And he was fixin to take that post down and stomp me.

She heard my yell, came a running, took one look, sized up the situation. Faced the bull head on, when he charged she grabbed him by the nose. I saw him spin her 3 times around no part of her touching ground. Then she had her feet on the ground and was leading him away. When she was ready she released, slipped through his legs, nipped at a heel, and ran him out to the pasture a quarter mile away and back 3 times. Yipping and nipping and teaching him a lesson.

2 weeks later that bull almost killed the boss. Broke 3 ribs. And then me and the wolf were both there getting him clear. We ate that bull, dang good hamburger.

Loved that wolf. She was a good one.
    Thanks for sharing that great story.

Boolit Master

I read once that at the start of the colonization of the America's that the Indians had their own unique species of dog but not a wolf-dog hybrid. It's been extinct for over a 100yrs. Maybe a few survived on their own and live in the deep woods and/or mountains of the North.

What ever it is it can't be a dire wolf. Those things stood over 4ft tall at the shoulders and had less flexible leg joints than modern dogs or wolves. Dissected, that would show up immediately.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Shot for mistaken identity?
    Possibly, I don't know enough of the details to make a any kind of educated guess, and I won't make an uneducated one.

We've had 3 wolfdogs over the last 20+ years. You really must know what you're doing with them or you'll paint yourself into a corner. They're considerably smarter than the average domesticated dog in that they seem to be able to understand "cause and effect". GhostHawk's story is a pretty good illustration of that.

Wolfdogs also seem more capable of reading your moods and intentions than their fully domesticated cousins.

Anyone thinking about getting a wolfdog, consider this; they're not good watch dogs. Throw them a steak and they'll show you where the TVs or valuables are.
    Unless they perceive that you are in trouble, as you are the alpha in the pack, they see it as your job to protect them, not the other way around.

If you think you want a wolfdog, study first, study second, then look for low content and ideally mixed with Malamute or maybe American Alsatian. I've seen quite a few wolf/German Shepherd crosses that resulted in odd looks and inconsistent temperament.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Hybred. Uncommon as a wolf pack is more likely to kill a stray dog than let it into a pack but not unheard of. A coyote-dog hybred has never been confirmed through DNA that I'm aware of but it's been a few years since I was doing the lab testing.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Like write up an info smokeywolf.
    Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Don't know how it ended up in the US, but that is a rare sub species of Drop Bear (the Long Legged Drop Bear), native to Australia.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Banned
    jonp,

FYI, our official TEXAS STATE DOG (the TX Blue Lacey) is a sort of coydog. = The Lacey family won't tell anyone EXACTLY what breeds were used to "create" the Blue Lacey Stock Dog but coyote is ONE of those canines.

Fwiw, we used to own (or were owned by??) a GSD/wolf cross. = Her "call name" was "Donna" & her ALPHA was my late wife.
    ("VK" called her "my shadow that goes in & out with me". = Lord help the person who bothered her, as "Donna" was very protective & was always within touching distance of her left hand. ===> "Donna" often went on her photo shoots & if you looked carefully at the Black Velvet whiskey magazine ads (YEP, the lady in the white evening gown was my wife.) in ESQUIRE magazine in the Fall of 1978, you can see the tip of Donna's tail in the photo, peeping out from behind a big vase of roses..)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-29-2018 at 06:37 PM.

In Remembrance

Did they finally put Roseann down?Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Out, anyways, but we can hope

Banned

When they found it, did it have a Chinese menu in its hand, walking through the streets of Soho in the rain? (Warren Zevon fans will get it)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    When they found it, did it have a Chinese menu in its hand, walking through the streets of Soho in the rain? (Warren Zevon fans will get it)
    For to get a big dish of beef chow mein

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    For to get a big dish of beef chow mein
    From a place called Lee Ho Fooks, of course.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    From a place called Lee Ho Fooks, of course.
    And his hair was perfect.

Boolit Master

Better stay away from him he’ll rip your lungs out Jim!

Boolit Master
    ..... Ah hooooo........ !

Three44s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Better stay away from him he’ll rip your lungs out Jim!
    I’d like to meet his tailor!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast