Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Memorial Day is about !

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I saw a soldier kneeling down,
    for this was the first quiet place he had found.
    He had traveled through jungles, rivers, and mud
    He'd tasted the sweat and shed his blood.
    He folded his hands and looked to the sky
    I saw his tears, as they welled in his eyes.
    He spoke to God, and this is what he said
    "God Bless my men, who now lie dead;
    I know not what You have in mind,
    but when You judge them, please be kind
    when they come before You, they will be poorly dressed
    but they'll walk proudly, for they have done their best.
    Their boots will be muddy and their clothes all torn
    but these clothes they have so proudly worn.
    Their hearts will be still and cold inside,
    for they have fought their best and did so with pride.
    So please take care of them as they pass Your way
    the price of freedom they've already paid."
    AMEN!
    &
    LEST WE FORGET!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

DCP
    How very true now if more Americans understood today is a day to remember, a day to understand freedom is not free and never was meant to be easy
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    DCP
    How very true now if more Americans understood today is a day to remember, a day to understand freedom is not free and never was meant to be easy
    Thank you

We who understand are sadly in the minority

For all the Bobs

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

One Angel Flight plane is based near here, suspect there are others. I see it from time to time, they do touch & go's at a nearby airport. Very moving video.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Jon there are websites that will list the graves in those abandoned cemeteries. Helps family find missing relative history... https://www.findagrave.com/ might want totlist them and someone may come out and get all the details they can.
    Thanks, Mary. I was able to find the location of the grave of a childhood friend with this site. I'd long thought it was unmarked in a local cemetery.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In remembrance to family that have fallen from the revolutionary war to WWII, and to all.

May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Mary, that graveyard is not just abandoned, it's for sale by the town for lack of tax payment. My wife and I have talked about it several times trying to decide if we should buy it to clean it up and take care of the graves. Down this way there are many abandoned cemetery's that people have forgotten. Seems odd to us but the local VFW/American Legion also doesn't put flags on the graves around here for Memorial Day. Up in the North East sticks where we come from they find every grave of our Vets they can and put a flag on all of them. We even found a grave of a Revolutionary War Soldier out in the middle of the woods on the side of a mountain and the local VFW makes sure it's kept up and a flag is there.

Jon maybe a fundraiser here to help? It would be a good project instead of having the land sold, graves dug up and moved who knows where... We IDed one more Sioux Uprising grave today and turned the info over to the Fort Ridgely historical society so they can make a brass plaque for it. Sorry I can't share pics, privacy thing for family who may be alive yet... it was a local name so I think there are surviving family members in this area.

Boolit Master

This is a bittersweet day for me. My family has lost sons in every war since the Battle of Hastings in 1066. We revere the men who fought and died, often on the wrong side.

An event that I witnessed a couple of years ago leaves me bitter about who we are and how we remember our fallen. I had two of my grandsons on a tour of the Normandy beaches and battlefields. After two days, we ended our visit at the American cemetery overlooking the sea at Omaha Beach. Several years before, i had located the grave site of my uncle who dies in the first hour of the D-Day invasion, with the 29th Infantry Division.

Several busses pulled up and disgorged several hundred French school children who looked middle school age. They each had a handout and a group leader. They were quite and reverent and listened to the presentations in a serious manner. A priest began sprinkling holy water on graves. The French school children knelt and prayed over each grave.

It was a touching moment in a very special place. The scene still lives on with me but disgusts me when I think about how several hundred american school children would run amok and grabazz if taken to a cemetery of our fallen American soldiers. I can only imagine how politically correct staff members would protest taking school children to a military action because "it sent the wrong message".

This country has gone to hell in a handbasket.

I lost a Uncle in WW2 .He was KIA when he was call back in for the 2nd enlistment. He was kill in the South Pacific on one of the island by a sniper. I still have the flag they use the last time they buried him.He was buried 5 times.The flag have 48 stars on it.I always remember him and others that went before us in all wars and conflics.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Lest we forget!

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12