WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crimp diameter on a 44 mag?

Could you shorten the case enough so the mouth lines up with the crimp groove, then crimp with a 44 Special crimper?
    Kinda like Hornady does with the rubber tipped bullets for lever action rifles.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Had a chance to load a few today, all brass trimmed the same length aol 1.640". I turned my Lee collet die one full turn in and it folded into the lube groove nicely. The load shot a 2.3" group at a 100 yards a few weeks ago with 50/50 and am going to see how this mix of 80/20 ACCOWW and pure mix with 6% pewter added to the total weight of around 13.5 BH. It loads and feeds fine in my 77/44

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-12-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Virtually impossible to measure a roll crimp. Just roll crimp into the groove provided, done.
    This ^^

I have the devastator mold and I can shoot them in my revolver, but not in my rifle. They are just too long. I wouldn't try to just crimp past the groove, it'll change the case volume/pressure/etc...
    Anyway, I do shoot those in my revolver - nothing says "holy ****" like 240 grain hollowpoints loaded under 21 grain of 2400 in a Ruger Redhawk...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Had a chance to load a few today, all brass trimmed the same length aol 1.640". I turned my Lee collet die one full turn in and it folded into the lube groove nicely. The load shot a 2.3" group at a 100 yards a few weeks ago with 50/50 and am going to see how this mix of 80/20 ACCOWW and pure mix with 6% pewter added to the total weight of around 13.5 BH. It loads and feeds fine in my 77/44

Those are incredible!
    Last edited by 44Blam; 06-14-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Boolit Master

I grew up loading the old LYMAN #454190 & #42798 &40143 that had no crimp groove. We seated & then crimped seperately over the edge of the ogive. Could always tell we had a good crimp by tapping the loaded/crimped round, bullet nose hard on the bench.
    All 3 cases were trimmed to minimum. They were seated in a standard 7/8 X 14 die & then crimped in LYMAN 310 dies with the adapter bushing.

When LEE came out with the Collet crimp die, a friend tried them and recommended them to me. They worked like ****. Years later I was told to ignore the Lee instructions and adjust by feel. Now they work great.

Adjust by trial & error. They will work for you.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My brass is trimmed to minimum. I'm sure I can trim it a little shorter as up you can see I don't have much of an overlapped lip after crimping. I like the looks of the crimp. It pulls down the brass very smooth and evenly and my boolits have not slipped from recoil. They feed fine so I'm not going to trim them short so I can use them with other Boolits. I do have some short brass I trimmed for using Hornady flex tip bullets that I'm sure would line up perfect but don't feel a need to go that option yet since this route has been working for me. I'm sure seated a little short I have a little higher pressure and velocity gain. I'll have to run it across my chrony with this load.

44 blam,240 grains? Mine are 270gr with GC and PC set and done.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.