Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Bearcat

Ruger Bearcat

Anyone have one of these ? How much smaller is it compared to a single six? How's it shoot ? Any issues the commonly have ? I been considering getting one because I don't own a 22 and always thought they were neat looking .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I have one that belonged to my Papa. He bought it at the Bellas Hess store in Mobile, Al. on Aug. 14, 1966. He paid $29.20 for it. While he was at it he got 3 boxes of ammo for it too @ 29 cents per box. I still have the original box, receipts and ammo. One of the boxes has 6 missing from it - so I guess he shot it 6 times and put it away. I don't have a Single Six (I owned 1 yrs. ago - but ended up selling it). The grip frame is quite a bit smaller than the SS. Here's a pic of it sitting next to my Blackhawk.

Attachment 220985

It's a neat little revolver. When I got my hands on it, I took it out in the back yard and shot 6 colibri's through it so I really can't speak to it's accuracy. I haven't really read any negative things about it. I believe there have been some changes to it over the years.
    Last edited by mac60; 05-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    I have one that I carry all the time in the woods. Its light weight makes it easy on this bad back of mine. Accuracy is fantastic when these old eyes cooperate. Hunter makes a nice little holster for it.

Boolit Master

My wife has one. Great guns. I bought her it about 20 years ago. They shoot well and carry light.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I have one as well, from the 1990s run. Mine is blued and shoots as well as my SW 617 , not quite as easy to shoot well but still very nice. If you have big fingers it is a bit small in the trigger guard. Its notably smaller than the single six, i have both. In all honesty i lile it better than the ss. The beatcat gripframe is very like the colt 1862 percussion. Like identical..ish! Get one you will like it, and mine shoots to the sights at 25 yards.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have an early one, but prefer the handling qualities of the larger Single Six. Generally, I empty a 22 handgun much faster than I do a centerfire, so I find the loading/unloading process of a SA to be a pain if done very often. The DAs and Autos are taken out much more often.

I got the Bearcat in case I wanted to introduce a future grandkid to single actions. It most definitely is a little cutie.

Boolit Master
    I like the looks of the Shopkeeper version. Round grip, 3" barrel.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IF the fixed sights on yours happen to shoot where you point, they are a great little gun. But finding an ammo which shoots to the sights is hit & miss... I prefer the Single Six with adjustable sights. Either Ruger is more accurate than the S&W Model 34 Kit Gun
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    typical ruger bull strong reliable and I don't think any one will ever live long enough to wear one out. that said some people can break an anvil. keep in mind they are a using pistol not a bull's-eye machine.

Boolit Master

I have one of the SUPER BEARCATS, from the last couple of years of original production. I actually think the thumb reach for the hammer is longer than the Single-Six , because of the way you have to "choke down" to get a proper grip with BIG hands. They're cute, but harder to shoot than a Single-Six or S&W 34.
    My buddy has one of the new stainless ones. He has a heck of a time seeing the front sight.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have an older blued model. They are light, small and cool !

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I like the looks of the Shopkeeper version. Round grip, 3" barrel.
    Me too, but I've read some negative reviews on this. That's why I never did get one.

Boolit Master

I’ve got a New Bearcat in SS. Love the look and feel . I had some issues with the point of aim and also it was “spitting” lead. I called Ruger customer service and got a mailing label and sent it back. I got it back in about a week , they said they replaced the barrel. Now it is on target with WW copper washed 37 gr hp’s and no spitting. Great customer service! Great gun to shoot and I get a big grin just looking at it. I bought a nice Mernickle holster for it. Give it a try, you’ll love it!Tim

Boolit Buddy
    I have a stainless Bearcat. It makes for a light, accurate and easy packing trail gun. It is lighter and more compact than my Single Six.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master
    I own a few of each,,, Bearcats & Single-Sixes.
    The BC is a smaller gun all around than the SS. If you have larger hands or fingers,, it may be a bit uncomfortable to try & shoot. it was built as a pocket gun,, and as such,,, it's small size makes it excellent for that job.

May I suggest you go to a gunshop & handle both variations BEFORE you make the decision to spend money?

Both are good quality.

Most models of Bearcats are fixed sights. With the Single-Sixes,,, you can get an adjustable sight gun much easier.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have one from the early 70s - I believe mine is a "super bearcat"? Can't remember as it's been a while since I have shot it. To answer your question, they are smaller than the single six. My hands are not huge so for me it works just fine - a good woods carry gun - light weight. I agree that the ammo you use will shoot differently between brands. Mine is fairly accurate if I am. My wife liked it and so I sort of made it "her gun" - about the only one I can get her to shoot.

Mine is pretty "pristine" and I have the original box, etc. so it's kind of a collector's item to some folks. I ended up buying a Heritage Rough Rider with a 4 3/4" barrel - a tad bigger than the Bearcat. I know . . . some folks don't like the Heriage line but for the money they cost - no they aren't a Ruger or a Smith - but they serve the purpose and I don't worry about getting any wear on it. You cn pick up a Heritage for under $200 dollars - comes in a variety of barrel lengths. The last vintage Bearcat like mine that I saw that had a price on it was $400.00 and it sold fairly quick.

Personally, I'd take a vintage Bearcat over one of the new ones - just me - but the cost would be cheaper for one thing. If you have big hands - like the size of hams - you might want to hold one first to make sure it will work for you. For smaller hands - they are ideal - and a good "learning pistol" for a youngster too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    IF the fixed sights on yours happen to shoot where you point, they are a great little gun. But finding an ammo which shoots to the sights is hit & miss... I prefer the Single Six with adjustable sights. Either Ruger is more accurate than the S&W Model 34 Kit Gun
    Lipseys had Ruger make Bearcats with fully adjustable sights in blue and stainless. I got my youngest grandson a blued version for his seventh birthday and he was pumped ! That little Bearcat liked just about everything we fed it and kept all shots inside two and a half inches at 25 yards with one staying at an honest inch and a half. BTW you can get holsters for them too !

Boolit Master

I may take mine out soon and shoot it.

On another note I heard there was a company/shop that was boring the barrels and cylinders to .32 S&W-L years back. That would a cool gun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Thanks all I'm gonna call around and see if anyone have one in stock so I can go fondle it I don't have huge hands but not dainty either .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    A Shopkeeper in 32 long. I want one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast