Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any interest in Bullet Casting DVDs?

Boolit Buddy
    Dave
    I got one of the sets and loaned them to a friend of mine who casts. I can check and see if he is done with them and if so, you are welcome to them. They are very basic and directly from you tube videos.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. Basic is OK, since I’m just starting out and haven’t cast my first bullet yet. I’m trying to gather all the info I can.

Dave

Casting can be a complicated as you wish to make it, but there is a point where practice will do you more good than more study. One great point about casting is that you can hide your early mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTNC View Post
    Thanks. Basic is OK, since I’m just starting out and haven’t cast my first bullet yet. I’m trying to gather all the info I can.
    Dave

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Casting can be a complicated as you wish to make it, but there is a point where practice will do you more good than more study. One great point about casting is that you can hide your early mistakes.
    Thats a good point, true of a lot of things. I’ve got enough stuff together to start casting and will probably try it for the first time tomorrow, but since the DVDs arrived yesterday I’ll watch them first. I might pick up something that will help. There’s still a couple of things I’m a little unsure of, but I think I’ve learned enough to try it.

Dave

Boolit Bub
    Well, I finally cast my first ones today. (I posted a thread in the Cast Boolits forum titled "My First Cast Bullets" but don't know how to link to it.)

I've watched the DVDs that 2011redrider sent to me and are ready to send them on to the next person that would like to see them. I'll send them out to the first person to PM me saying they want them.

"Bullet Casting 101" is a basic overview of the process, starting with safety gear and ending with range testing bullets that were cast during the video.

"Casting Premium Bullets for Handguns" goes into a little more depth, but is still pretty basic. But I did like the section on inspecting and troubleshooting bullets that told what caused different defects in the castings.

All in all, I found a few things interesting since I had never cast a bullet before. Someone new to casting might learn a few things like I did. But if you've been doing it for any length of time the videos are probably too basic to do you any good.

One thing in the videos that I haven't seen discussed anywhere else is the use of a "sprue cooling fan". The guy in the video had a small fan that he held the mold in front of for a few seconds before opening the sprue and releasing the bullets. I don't plan to do this, but wondered if anybody else does. I'm slow enough that I think doing that would cool my mold off too much.

Dave

Boolit Bub
    The DVDs are on the way to retread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123