WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Proper Depth of TC probe in a Lee 4 20 bottom pour also

Question Proper Depth of TC probe in a Lee 4 20 bottom pour also

Hi,
    My husband is making a stand for my PID and I wish to find out what is the optimum depth to set the PID from the bottom & also the proper distance from the side of the pot.
    Once again would like opinions as to what would be best. I remember reading about this in the forums, but I have failed in finding it again.

TYIA, SharuLady

I have my temp sensor up about 1/2" from the bottom and about 1/2" out from the side.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fralic76 View Post
    I have my temp sensor up about 1/2" from the bottom and about 1/2" out from the side.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    That's what I've always read and where I've placed mine. It's the tip that produces the mini voltage that does the trick and the PID unit converts that voltage to a temperature reading.

I'm assuming you're inquiring about the TC probe tip not the PID unit.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

I thought that was the proper distances as I recalled them but was wanting to confirm this.

"Quote Originally Posted by fralic76"

"I have my temp sensor up about 1/2" from the bottom and about 1/2" out from the side."

Yes, I was referring to the TC probe tip. Sorry, I should have made it more clearly stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    That's what I've always read and where I've placed mine. It's the tip that produces the mini voltage that does the trick and the PID unit converts that voltage to a temperature reading.

I'm assuming you're inquiring about the TC probe tip not the PID unit.
    But, wish to thank you fralic76 & Mike W1 for your quick replies;

SharuLady

Oh, darn it, I forgot to ask about placement of a TC Probe in a small convection oven as well. I know that it can be placed in though the top or from the side. But due to the size of the oven and the element is at the top I think it may be better about midline through the side panel. I think (could be wrong) that it will work better there but will need to be sure it doesn't hit the probe when sliding in the trays. With pistol/revolver boolits I can get in 2 trays. With rifle boolits I can only get 1 tray in due to their height. BTY, this is a 400* TC probe.

SharuLady

My oven has three tray positions, but because it's non-convection I can only use the centre position so I fitted the probe just underneath the centre tray, screwed through the back wall. It's probably the optimum position regardless of the oven type.

Boolit Master

my oven has two trays and I came in from the side (one with no electronics) and just under the top tray so the bullets on the bottom tray don't get knocked over by it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Hi dikman, That is interesting, I don't recall seeing here on the forums a probe through the back.... but hey if it works that's great. I will keep that in mind though.
    TY for replying.

SharuLady

Hi Walter, Mine is 2 trays as well. But so far this Black & Decker convection oven has only fluctuated between 385 to 405 with just the controls from the oven itself, but…. I have been running a Taylor oven gage as well to keep tabs on it. Guess I have been lucky so far. But will feel better when I get the PID set up in it.

TY for your reply,

SharuLady

SharuLady, it depends on the oven construction as mine only had a single metal thickness on the back, the sides were double walled.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    SharuLady, it depends on the oven construction as mine only had a single metal thickness on the back, the sides were double walled.
    Oh Ok. That makes for a good reason!

SharuLady

On my probe holder I took a piece of coat hanger. Twisted a small loop in one end, moved over about 1/2 inch and twisted about three turns around a Phillip's head screwdriver shank. Use the small loop to hook under the screw on the left side of pour spout rod. Let the three turns hang out over pot.
    The probe slides right down through the three coils. If the probe isn't where you want it, just use the screwdriver to adjust the coils. Slip the screwdriver down into the coils and bend a bit, test the probe fit. Repeat as needed.
    I have my PID installed in an old lock box, says Brink's on it. A single place outlet to plug the pot into on one side. The power supply and probe wind up and fit inside when not in use.
    Oh, I also have two toggle switches on the front. One next to PID turns on power, one on other side of handle bypasses the PID for warm up.
    I can use this PID with anything. I can use the pot alone.
    Leo