Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for softer grips for my super Blackhawk 44 mag

Boolit Master

Looking for softer grips for my super Blackhawk 44 mag

I’ve got a Ruger super Blackhawk 44 magnum that has the original rosewood grips. I’ve used it like this for quite a while, but I’m now considering getting a pair of Hogue grips. I did put the rubberized Hoague grips on my 686 357 mag, and it sure made a pleasant difference.

What kind of grips, style etc. did you choose for your super Blackhawk 44 and why.

Thanks

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Pachmayr. A different shade of ugly than the Hogues but absorb more recoil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Have a 41 SBH Hunter and would like to do the same thing. Checked Lymans site and only SBH grips are for the square trigger guard models.

Boolit Grand Master

ghh3rd;
    I have had a Ruger Super Blackhawk since the sixties. I have shot nothing but full loads (and near full loads) by the thousands. When I first got the revolver, I put a set of Pachmayr grips on the revolver. I have never been bothered by recoil since. I LOVE the Pachmayrs. Many speak disparagingly of them called them "Goodyears", ugly, etc. Since I am a serious shooter, I want and NEED something that WORKS. Pack's DO work, so they are on nearly all of my single action and double action guns. I have relatively large hands and long fingers so I also appreciate the handfilling attributes.

YMMV,
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 05-26-2018 at 01:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used the Pachy's and Hogue rubber grip on my SBH. Threw both of them away. The Hogue made the gun feel squirelly to me and the Pachy's abraded my palm. I put a Herret Shooting Star grip on it in 1972 and it's still there. It fills my hand better reducing felt recoil.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Which just goes to show that we are all assembled a bit differently. The trick is to find what works for YOU!

Dale53

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    ghh3rd;
    I have had a Ruger Super Blackhawk since the sixties. I have shot nothing but full loads (and near full loads) by the thousands. When I first got the revolver, I put a set of Pachmayr grips on the revolver. I have never been bothered by recoil since. I LOVE the Pachmayrs. Many speak disparagingly of them called them "Goodyears", ugly, etc. Since I am a serious shooter, I want and NEED something that WORKS. Pack's DO work, so they are on nearly all of my single action and double action guns. I have relatively large hands and long fingers so I also appreciate the handfilling attributes.

YMMV,
    Dale53
    I like that plum bluing on your pistol I'm running this on my RSBH https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...uperblackhawk/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

LUCKYDAWG;
    That “plum bluing” is just the light. It came with a very nicely polished and blued finish but has some “Honorable loss of bluing” from normal wear and tear. This has been an excellent performer since I first got it.

Dale53

Boolit Master

I sent mine back to Ruger a few years ago to replace my barrel and they re blued it It came back with a deep blue color looks awesome
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

+1 for Pachmyer, have the same grips on my SBH. not pretty but works like a charm for me.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

I have a 3 screw SBH like the one in the photo, I'm going to put rubber grips on it. They're ugly but really improve the shooting experience. I have them on a model 28 that cover the backstrap and prefer them to Hogue on my S&W's.

Moderator Emeritus

What ever you get make sure that they fit the gun with out any movement and that they fit your hand.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The last two sets of Pachmayr revolver grips I have purchased(Ruger Blackhawk and S&W Model 15) have fit terribly. The new Pachmayr grips pale in comparison to the older grips. I ended up going with a Hogue Mono grip on the Blackhawk. Fit was very good and felt great in the hand. Looks wise,I thought it was an abomination,but to each their own.

Boolit Master

Pachmayr's are made in mexico. Another piece of **** out of mexico. I have several good AMERICAN MADE PACHMAYR'S, they fit well but I have never liked them on Single Actions. I put a pair of HOGUE'S on my 5 1/2" SBH. It's a bit different than most SBH's. It started out as a 10 1/2' silhouette gun with the heavy bbl. I had the bbl cut down to the cylinder rod length of 5 1/2". It's a bit snappy when shooting the SAECO 265grGC. The HOGUE'S made the difference the PACHMAYR'S didn't. I have a pair of old HERRETT SHOOTING STAR'S it used to wear back in it's Silhouette day. HOGUE'S are better for the ARTHRITIS earned from too many hot/heavy loads for too many years.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    "Which just goes to show that we are all assembled a bit differently. The trick is to find what works for YOU!"

Quoted for truth. Everybody has a different hand & feel. As an instructor, I teach that a person needs a gun to fit their hands. Sadly, sometimes, it takes several different tries to find the best fit.

Dale,,, NICE 4 digit OM Super!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a big fan of Hogue grips

Boolit Master
    I have Hogues on all my Smiths and all my Rugers. They really work for me.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Hogue grips

This isn't a Super Blackhawk (it's a nm BH in .30 carbine). The old grips got damaged years ago and I decided to put Hogue grips on it. Really like the way they feel, and I think they make the gun point better so I left 'em on.

Attachment 220986
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Banner Sponsor

I'm a huge fan of the Hogue Mono Grip!
    I have a set on a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45 Colt that has seen many HEAVY loads.
    I also have a 6.5" BFR in 475 Linebaugh that wears a set intended for a Super Black Hawk. The 475 can really dish out some punishment, but the Mono Grip tames it down quite a bit.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag with a 3-3/4" bbl in a Bisley grip frame. I searched the Hogue and Pachmayr sites and can't find any rubber grips made for the Bisley frame. Any suggestions?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast