Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have an Amazon Alexa?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    You suppose they engineered the Kindle, the iPhones and others to be impossible to conveniently and immediately disable, because it was advantageous and beneficial to the consumers?
    The funny thing about iPhones is they aren't allowed in high security areas. You have to leave them completely out of the area. Phones w/ a removable battery are allowed as long as the battery is removed. Granted the phone is worthless but w/ the size of some of the plants I'm in it would nice not to have trek back over a mile to pick up my phone.

As much as I hate government intervention the amount of data collection going on is ridiculous. The default should be opt out, not opt in. And you should be able to disable whatever you want. But the current administration is very anti consumer so I don't expect anything to change.

I honestly can't believe the amount of privacy people are freely giving up. My kids may not even know what it is.

Moderator Emeritus

How to remove it from your fire device.
    https://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-...n-fire-tablets
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

That doesn't remove it. Alexa is built into the OS. Sure you can make some changes to setting but who's to say that's going to keep it off. You can't delete Alexa from the tablet or Firestick.

I like my Alexa.

Hint: you don’t have to “hide it under the mattress”, just press the button to stop it from listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    I like my Alexa.

Hint: you don’t have to “hide it under the mattress”, just press the button to stop it from listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    But, are you absolutely, positivity sure it's not listening?
    It might just be a feel good button!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    I like my Alexa.
    What do you do w/ it? I'm asking because I don't see any useful purpose for it. My phone hooks up to Bluetooth speakers in my house already. So I don't need one to play music. I don't need Alexa to sing me a song. I honestly don't see what this device does but collect data for Amazon.

I recently went through Firefox and really tightened up security on it. I'm amazed at how many cookies it automatically deletes. And a lot of them are tracking cookies. Not really off topic because the purpose of those cookies is to collect data about you. Read an article this morning about "Datavakbond". That group is thinking correctly. Will be interesting to see how it plays out in Europe. I have issues w/ the amount of data collection going on. Most of it is not something you can opt in or out of.

Boolit Master
    My kid has one. Ask it about the CIA. LOL it shuts off.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    You guys make me laugh. Like it’s something new. I tell you what make a random phone call to someone you know, say the right sequence of words and phrases in a given period of time and let me know how long it takes the guys in suits with crew cuts to come knocking on your door! Obviously I’m not gonna tell you what the right sequence of words and phrases are!! Big brother has been listening for a long long time !
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Have an Amazon Alexa?

Never had anyone show up and my friends and I have tried every trigger word and phrase imaginable. It was a game for awhile to see who would hang up first. There's also a difference between a phone call and a listening device. I'm sure you're more careful what you say on the phone compared to taking to friends and family in your living room.

I don't expect privacy w/ anything electronic. But I'm also not going to willingly install a listening device in my home. Limiting exposure is the best you can do these days.

Boolit Master
    For things like “smart” TVs, is there at least some notice that the device has the ability to capture audio and video? Wife wants a new big TV, I need to find one that doesn’t spy on us.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Never had anyone show up and my friends and I have tried every trigger word and phrase imaginable. It was a game for awhile to see who would hang up first. There's also a difference between a phone call and a listening device. I'm sure you're more careful what you say on the phone compared to taking to friends and family in your living room.

I don't expect privacy w/ anything electronic. But I'm also not going to willingly install a listening device in my home. Limiting exposure is the best you can do these days.
    Trust me you just didn’t hit the right sequence in context
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12