Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum mold longevity

Boolit Master

Aluminum mold longevity

Newby questions here (I searched but mebbe used the wrong key words).

I have been casting for a year or so, reading here and trying out my molds (MP 4 and 8 cav, Accurate 5 cav and the 6 banger Lee molds I first got), and am at the point where I can produce acceptable boolits in reasonable quantities (about 5 K so far). My goal is to produce the 30 to 40 K pistol bullets I need each year to feed my action pistol shooting. Is one or maybe two gang molds going to be up to the task?

I've read here about Al molds ten plus years old that are reported to have cast tens of thousands of bullets, but that's only a few thousand per year, while I can shoot that up in a couple months. Other threads claim that Al molds should last multiple lifetimes, but how many casting cycles do those molds bear?

Is it too much to expect of even a finely made Al mold to last through, say, fifty thousand cycles per cavity? If it can be done, what do I need to do to make that happen? Or should I expect to replace the mold eventually, and if so, when?

ETA: I don't think that I will go the automated machine casting route as 1), bullet production is and will be for personal consumption only, and 2) I'm cheap ;^D
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-24-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Banned
    An aluminum mold will last a looooong time IF you treat/maintain it properly. With that desired volume, a 2 cavity would take forever and a larger mold could get heavy.

To maintain that volume you would need to cast an average of 110 boolits every day of the year

When I was shooting that much I had two small children. Just loading and shooting took up all of my time. So much so that my young son made me a sign for fathers day to hang on the reloading room door; "Reloading, do not disturb". I did not get the hint. Being young and dumb, I kept on until my wife found someone else too. Yes, I was a top gun, but the cost was high.

Not sure where this fits, but my first thought is that casting, loading, practice and matches may be a big bite, unless you get more than 24 hours in your days.

Just the ramblings of an old fart, who wishes he could reclaim those days with his kids and wife.
    Sorry for the hijacking of the thread, just a bit melancholy at the moment.

Boolit Master
    I've got a few Aluminum molds with over 40K bullets cast through them (each) and still going strong. Abuse and neglect kill any kind of mold, but an Al mold won't take very much abuse at all, where an iron mold can withstand a shocking amount of abuse (but is more susceptible to neglect).

Keep everything in adjustment, don't use it as a hammer, and lube the sprue plate and alignment pins, and you should experience long life with Al molds.

Like most things, technique and care play a big factor in your outcome.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Ah, well, I'm just retired but still mostly in one piece, and have a grown son and a wife who's into ballroom dance but who has a husband with two left feet. She does her thing, I do mine, and we talk about it each evening, and have other things we do in common, so that's good.

Even so, it does seem like the time is tight. So far, casting has not gotten old so I expect to stay at it. Sound like the molds may hold up if I take care of them. We shall see.

Boolit Master
    Grmps, that's a good observation there about the weight, which is part of why I mainly bought aluminum. Still working on my technique with the 8 cavity versions from MP - I've mainly been casting from the five cavity Accurate molds, but I can hopefully get a sixty percent increase in boolits per pour for not too much extra time or fatigue.

I'd like to try two or even three molds alternating (Ausglock has a great video clip showing him using three six cav molds in rotation, using up alloy so fast from his twenty pound bottom pour that he rigged a pre melt pot over the production pot for fast refills. A technique and set up to admire and aspire to).
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-24-2018 at 03:56 AM.

The way Accurate makes their mould with steel alignment pins and pin seats, I doupt you wear one out any time soon if you keep it lubricated. If used in a casting machine, I think they will last longer than if used hand held but still, I would guess that the service live would be in the hundreds of thousands of cycles.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    As with anything in life it's probably going to last a lot longer if used correctly and gently vs run hard and put away wet. Using the correct temperature lead and not clanking the mold shut will help prevent warping of the mold blocks and keep the alignment holes round. Eventually it will need to be replaced irregardless but assume you get 40,000 bullets from a $60 mold and your cost is $1.5 per every 1,000 bullets. I'd guess your easily spending $2,000+ on powder and primers year if shooting 40,000 rounds per year

Molds are relatively cheap. The expense starts to add up when the molds start to multiply. If you're like me and think you need a dozen .38/.357/9mm molds, half a dozen 45 ACP molds, half a dozen .30 caliber molds and a wide assortment of other molds that's when the costs start to add up.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is it too much to expect of even a finely made Al mold to last through, say, fifty thousand cycles per cavity? If it can be done, what do I need to do to make that happen? Or should I expect to replace the mold eventually, and if so, when?
    Molds are precision made 'tools'. Treat them accordingly and your estate will have them for sale or pass on to the next generation
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    The biggest threat to lifespan of ally molds is sharp steel tools scraping lead smears .....if the mold is heated to melt temp,then no sharp tools are needed,just brush the metal off......One thing I have noticed is that beeswax acts as a flux for the ally,making lead smears stick,when theoretically they shouldnt .....synthetic oils dont do this.

Boolit Master
    I still use 2 NEI 4 cav molds that I bought in the late 1980's, a 120 gr 9mm SWC and a 204 gr .45 SWC they still cast good bullets and I am sure both have cast over 50,000 bullets each.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, reddog, I've already asked my casting mentor if there's a local BMBA (Boolit Mold Buyers Anonymous) chapter I can join...

So (again a newby question), lots of pours (long or frequent casting sessions) aren't necessarily harder on the mold than the same number of pours spaced out over a greater timespan, if I take care every time to not beat it up or overheat it, and always do proper maintenance, inspection and storage techniques?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Yeah, reddog, I've already asked my casting mentor if there's a local BMBA (Boolit Mold Buyers Anonymous) chapter I can join...

So (again a newby question), lots of pours (long or frequent casting sessions) aren't necessarily harder on the mold than the same number of pours spaced out over a greater timespan, if I take care every time to not beat it up or overheat it, and always do proper maintenance, inspection and storage techniques?
    If anything, I would imagine longer casting sessions (with proper care) to be easier on the mold, as the total number of heat cycles (from room temp to 400+) would be reduced.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all for offering your expertise! This forum has really saved me and other new casters a tremendous amount of groping around in the dark (not to say that groping around in the dark isn't a pleasant experience in the right circumstances ;^D.

Vendor Sponsor

Hi Kevin,

50K boolit drops is just taking you through Break-in period with Miha's molds... I've been running his 9mm 135gr 6-cav brass mold very hard now for about 1.5 years. I know for a fact that I have casted 25K with this one, and it's just now developing that gorgeous patina on the inside of the mold cavities. If taken care of, I don't see his molds ever wearing out.

Cast-on!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Newby questions here (I searched but mebbe used the wrong key words).

I have been casting for a year or so, reading here and trying out my molds (MP 4 and 8 cav, Accurate 5 cav and the 6 banger Lee molds I first got), and am at the point where I can produce acceptable boolits in reasonable quantities (about 5 K so far). My goal is to produce the 30 to 40 K pistol bullets I need each year to feed my action pistol shooting. Is one or maybe two gang molds going to be up to the task?

I've read here about Al molds ten plus years old that are reported to have cast tens of thousands of bullets, but that's only a few thousand per year, while I can shoot that up in a couple months. Other threads claim that Al molds should last multiple lifetimes, but how many casting cycles do those molds bear?

ETA: I don't think that I will go the automated machine casting route as 1), bullet production is and will be for personal consumption only, and 2) I'm cheap ;^D

Boolit Grand Master

Get 2 aluminum molds and cast with them simultaneously. This will keep the mold temp in check and produce a pile of boolits. Your molds, if taken care of, will last a long, Long time.

Boolit Master

I got 3 "free" Lee 2cav aluminum molds. BEAT TO ****. Sprue plate screws cross threaded. 2 of them with old style alignment pins. I tried them though. Cast a few bullets, then the sprue plate would fall off into the quench bucket. Some day I gonna try to drill/tap the sprue plate screws.

I've got a pair of Lee 401-175-TC 2cav molds that have put out 20,000 bullets in the past 15+yrs. Got 3 Lee .44cal 2cav molds that my DAD bought used 30yrs ago. Still casting great bullets, must be at least 10-12,000 out of each. Lube ALL ALUMINUM molds every time I refill the lead pot(20lbs). Tap gently IF needed and HANDLE WITH RESPECT. It's a tool, use with care it'll outlast you.

I've got an AXE HEAD that belonged to my GREAT-GRANDFATHER. It's passed through many handles in many hands, it's a bit short bladed now, but it's still a GOOD TOOL.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    A bit like cars....some owners can keep 40yr old cars going reliably,others can break new cars in a few months.

Boolit Master
    I have been casting with alum. molds sense the 70's still have all molds in good condition.Cast thousands of boolits in them just take good care and don't abuse them.

Boolit Buddy
    If you get good molds the will last. If you buy a Lee...all bets are off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast