Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case with out primer hole

Boolit Master

case with out primer hole

Fourty years of reloading an I have never had a case with the primer hole not punched out it was a new 204 Nosler case. Has this ever happened to any one else just curious.

Boolit Master
    Haven't had a missing primer hole, but I recently got a 50 Bewulf case with no rim. Put it up on the "curio" shelf in the loading room (lots of unusual cases etc - 44 rim fire (found), blown out 45acp case (dbl charge 231 - mine), 9mm shot in a 40S&W chamber (found), 22 TCM shot in a 9mm chamber (mine).
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Never heard of no primer hole;two years ago I had a factory new box of 30-30 Winchester super X where every case was bent at the neck and the brass was so brittle you could scratch pieces off with your finger nail.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    Fourty years of reloading an I have never had a case with the primer hole not punched out it was a new 204 Nosler case. Has this ever happened to any one else just curious.
    I had 3 .30 carbine r-p h/s cases with no flash holes. All from the same 100 pc. order from Midway. Lost 'em to hurricane Katrina.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

its rare, but it happens.

Boolit Master

When my son was in the military in the early '80s, he was qualifying with a M16. Had a failure to fire and some smoke came out of the action. He ejected the round but noted where the round fell to the ground and continued firing. He subsequently picked up a couple pieces of brass along with the c-j (I think) round, looked at it and acted like he tossed it back on the ground, put it in his pocked, and brought it home to me from either Fort Hood, Tx., for Fort Sill, Okla. The primer is missing and there is no flash hole. Otherwise it is a live round. Big Boomer

Had it happen once. Premium SD ammo too! So, I no longer carry factory ammo. At least if it messes up, assuming a good primer, it's my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    its rare, but it happens.

Most likely a "Friday" case.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Most likely a "Friday" case.
    most likely the drill on the PI broke and a case or two slipped through.

Boolit Master
    Found one when shooting an SKS with old Norinco ammo. The bolt bounced and smoke came out from around it. I broke it down and no flash hole, it's in my collection.

Boolit Grand Master

Not all that uncommon with Winchester I have had two in the last year.

Boolit Buddy

Also had Winchester cast without primer hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Had one with some surplus 9MM ammo. Pulled the trigger and the sound was louder than a click, so I ejected the round and picked it up. The primer sealant was bubbling, which kind of spooked me. I dropped it and picked it up later to pull the bullet and find out.

Boolit Grand Master

II had 2 rem cases in 45 acp that didn't have flash holes. Was shooting up this case of 45s in an ispc matches. Took me out of the standings. Most of the american and european cases the flash hole is punched thru, reason for the heavy burrs you see inside the cases. Lapua and some norma are drilled flash holes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    II had 2 rem cases in 45 acp that didn't have flash holes. Was shooting up this case of 45s in an ispc matches. Took me out of the standings. Most of the american and european cases the flash hole is punched thru, reason for the heavy burrs you see inside the cases. Lapua and some norma are drilled flash holes.
    That's also the source of the brass chips many blame on SS pin tumbling. Until I started wet tumbling I religiously used a flash hole de-burr bit.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    I had one, or rather had to assist in clearing a jammed M16 that fired a no primer hole case. It was 1971 and I was working as a trainer on Clark range at Fort Knox. This was trainee'so first day on the range.
    The kid fired and called a miss fire. I tried to pull the charger back but it was stuck hard. I know there's a live round chambered so kicking the charger with my heel is out. Tried to open the receiver but the carrier is back just far enough to lock it. No hammer available or wood block to use as one. We ended up calling for Ordinance repair to send their truck.
    Finally got the action open and out comes a round with no primer hole. The primer had fired and drove the round into the chamber very tightly, pulling the charger moved the carrier back but the bolt was hooked on the jammed case totally locking the gun.

Ken

In Remembrance

A friend of mine bought a case of PMC .45 acp 200 gr FMJ ammo to run thru his Colt tricked out Gold Cup. Several boxes later as he was shooting on an indoor range he had a minor explosion in the pistol when he pulled the trigger. On inspection by him and several range people it was discovered that a cartridge was loaded and primed yet had no flash hole in the case thus causing a minor explosion by the primer when struck. He had to send the pistol to a `smith for reworking it for some reason. I hear he has engaged an attorney (bottom feeder) to go after PMC over this.Robert

Boolit Bub
    I have not found a case without the flashole in new brass (yet!) but have had factory rounds that didn't! 30 carbine, 7.62X54R, 30-06 (twice!). The exciting part was starting to open the bolt and having the primer cup sail out of the action as soon as the bolt moved far enough to create a space for the gas from the primer to force it's way out (happened with the carbine, the mosin tried but the flattened primer stayed in the bolt head). The 06 rounds leaked gas into the action which must have released enough pressure that they stayed largely in place (though one fell out when I removed the case and the other was easily pried out where it had bulged). 2 were military and 2 were commercial loads.

Boolit Master
    Many years, 1975/1976, ammo officer for Army, M16 and M60 training and qualification, saw a couple every week, tens of thousands of rounds per week, both 7.62 and 5.56. Upside down primers also.

Boolit Master
    Not a "no" primer hole but FWIW I had a dozen or more very old vintage 38 special cases out of a box of several hundred I was given that every single one of them the primer hole was badly off center. Can't recall the brand, but I can tell you this. A lee universal depriming die punched a "good" hole in them all. I'd be humming along popping primers in my old rock chucker and every so often "CRUNCH" and it would take a wee bit of effort to pull the case off out of the die. Every single one I then had either an oblong primer hole, or a "double" hole in the pocket. I can also tell you they loaded and shot fine afterwards. Most of that ancient brass is still loaded and stored somewhere around here from back before my cancer surgery.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast