Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown green flake powder?

Super Moderator

The usage of an unknown powder isn't even debatable in my opinion, unless you'd like to be a test subject for Darwin's theory. God only knows what it is or what it was intended for. It's anyone's guess, and if you value your face I'd certainly advice against using it. If in doubt, toss it out!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The usage of an unknown powder isn't even debatable in my opinion, unless you'd like to be a test subject for Darwin's theory. God only knows what it is or what it was intended for. It's anyone's guess, and if you value your face I'd certainly advice against using it. If in doubt, toss it out!
    Fair enough…

I deleted all my previous posts as this might be a very controversial topic that I do not wish to express my opinions dealing with it any further. It seems it could get heated...

To each his own actions...

Good-luck…BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 06-02-2018 at 07:10 PM.

If one had massive quantity then it might justify having some sort of professional lab work done to identify the powder. Depending on cost of lab work against quantity of powder salvaged I suppose. Couple of 40# barrels with label unreadable might be worth spending some money to find out what it is. A coffee can worth from an estate sale. Eh? Not so much.

Smokeless powder is a great nitrogen fertilizer so if you or the spouse has some sort of garden it won't be wasted if you spread it around the plants.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Remember pulling a few bullets from some 1946 San Francisco who manufactured military ammo for the Argentine military. Forget what the bullet weights were but this was done just a few years ago. Powder was not green flake type as you pictured but black flakes. Also had some FYA HP 7.65x53 that was made by Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik in Austria in 1928. Again powder was black flake type powder. The San Francisco arsenal? had a long history of making ammo for the Argentine military. They even made up sporting ammunition also in 7.65x53. Somewhere they screwed up and instead of a 53mm case they went with a 54 mm case. Some 1891 and 1909 rifles and carbines will take the extra long case but don't know anyone who had that good luck. Thing most if not all Argy MilSurp ammo was imported by interarms in 100 round boxes. Still have a few loose rounds for old times sake as the 1891 rifle was my first real high powered rifle. I do own a couple sporters though. One of the common complaints I have heard is deteriorating powder. I do have about 70 rounds of SF commercial 7.65x54 and not one will fit my two sporters. So what you see before you represents represents my total sum of knowledge regarding Argy Mil Surp ammo. By the way,if your powder is clumping strongly suggest you ditch it as well past its prime time. Either burn it in small amounts or use it for lawn fertilizer. Hope this helps. Frank

Boolit Master

I have many small lots of powder from decommissioning old ammo. The LGS comes across some from time to time so I turn some into drill rounds and I can keep the powder. I recycled some had great j-thingy loads but no more of that powder to shoot, can't get more and didn't know what it was to begin with. So it's good for a few rounds, now I toss most into a can for fertilizer.
    Just my experience
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    If you must use it don't forget to film it for posterity .

In Remembrance

Even if you get CLOSE, it still won't be safe for use reloading it. Fertilizer is it's best use. Don't blow up your gun or your hands trying to get too durn cheap with OLD unidentifiable powder.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

And, remember old CORDITE powder is extremely corrosive. You have been warned

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Also cordite burns hotter than a regular nitro or smokeless powder like we use today. So if its going on a burn pile don't get carried away and chuck anything over a pound and make up a long trail of powder to set it off. Unconfined old cordite will give you a pretty good light show. Had about 700 303 WWII rounds that had less than a sterling storage history. Once you get the bullet out of the case the fun is only beginning. something sharp to pry out the wad above the powder then tweezers to get started on removing the powder. Scrapped the cases as corrosion was pretty bad. gave to to a buddy upstate ny. With explicit instructions as to how it is to be burned. Well instead of a pound he chucks the whole mess on the burn pile. Flames about 8' high and all sorts of noises. Good thing his burn pile us a good distance away in the field. Said it was an interesting experience. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    My guess is AL - 8 which is a slow shotgun powder by Alcan. Between Bluedot and 2400 in speed and somewhat useful in straight wall with cast. IIRC it was produced in the 60's to early 80's. I have some that was marketed by Smith and Wesson as it has their label.
    Yes but, AL-8 was not green.

If you have a bunch of it you could work up load data. A small amount is not worth the trouble.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I was wondering if the OP had put this stuff on his tomatoes yet, or blown up his gun?

Why are we even discussing this anymore?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    My AL8 is green. Certainly s light green, but it's green. Fantastic powder in the 500 Smith and Linebaugh. Wish it was available.

Boolit Master

AL-8?...

I have two 6-pound jugs of it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_3550.jpg  
    Last edited by BCB; 07-15-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    It may be useful for fire forming cases?????

It shape looks like some of the old Alcan powders. I thought at least one of them had a sort of OD green color. Being extremely frugal and if I had a .38 or .357 in a TC Contender I would start with a couple grain load and a 148 grain wadcutter and work up slowly. And if that did not work, powders do make good fertilizer. Did that with two different unknown powders and it worked with one and the other went onto the lawn.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    AL-8...

I have two 6-pound jugs of it...
    I have one, and it looks just like your picture.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Cordite is interesting stuff. If one pulls the b*llit and strikes the primer (from a safe distance), it goes off with a bang - just like a blank. A load bang I might add. If the case is not secured I would imagine it would fly back at you with great speed.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Disagree.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdjax64 View Post
    Trying to help someone figure out who made this powder.
    Attachment 220892
    Thank you for any help.
    Vectan A1? http://www.vectan.fr/FR/les-gammes-de-poudres

I've got some and it's square and green just like that. Much depends on where you got it and how old it is. They make a few square powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdjax64 View Post
    Trying to help someone figure out who made this powder.
    Attachment 220892
    Thank you for any help.
    Vectan A1? It looks like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vectan_A1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	223694

//www.vectan.fr/FR/les-gammes-de-poudres

Vectan makes great powders. I have all 3 of their "square" powders and they are good stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast