Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unknown green flake powder?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Cordite is interesting stuff. If one pulls the b*llit and strikes the primer (from a safe distance), it goes off with a bang - just like a blank. A load bang I might add. If the case is not secured I would imagine it would fly back at you with great speed.
    I decommissioned a pile of mk7 a week ago. They are flipping loud! And even with the crimped in primers the primer cups came out and we're forced up the punch I used to set them off about an inch. This also happens with GP11 and FN 7x57 both were berdan primed. I read they are hotter to ignite the cordite in mk7 the GP11 and FN 7x57 not sure, slower powder maybe?
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Bub
    The square flake powder was used by a lot of different loaders back in the dark ages as a standard means of making smokeless powder. Like current stuff you can't tell anything by the appearance. Nitrogen content can vary quite a lot and it may be double or single base so power and burn rate are not something you can see or feel. If you pulled it down from a particular type of ammo you can work up loads for the same type ammo. If you don't know where it came from its anyones guess. I've seen that sort of powder in everything from 32 auto to 8X63 Swede and no real way to tell the powder apart.

Good luck

Frank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123