RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Am I over sizing my boolits?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Am I over sizing my boolits?

I was out on a range session yesterday and had one stuck case out of about 50 plus rounds. It was after the first 12-15 shots. I was using a stout load of 23.8 grains of h110. I pushed my bolt back pretty hard to get the casing out. I noticed some scratches along the case. I immediately thought it was a hot load but after inspection the primer looked normal and not flattened. I inspected the firearm for damage and found none. The rifle was a Ruger 77/44. I shot the rifle a good 25 times after the stuck case without any issues and it fed fine with the same load and same brand casings. After my range session I noticed a few lead rings that were inside my fired casings. Little thin lead circles that mush have shaved off the boolits as they entered the rifling. They looked exactly like what was left after sizing slugs through my bore. I'm thinking a lead shaving got caught between my case and the chamber and jammed it up. After my shooting session I checked and had no leading in my bore. I'm using 270 grain devistators and sized them one one thousands over my bore diameter through my lee sizer. I PC and GC them at the same time. Is it normal to have a lead ring shaved off my boolits or am I doing something wrong? This the first I have noticed this happened and I've put a good three to four hundred rounds through the rifle. I plan on cleaning and polishing the chamber out with a soft copper brush today in just in case there might be burrs and or lead fowling. I was using 50/50...half acccow and half pure...lead flooring along with 2% pewter. Could a boolit have started in my rifling a little crooked, or sprung back from sizing? Grouping was OK. My best group with this load was 2.7" at a 100 yards.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Well not sure where you got your data but that is pretty far over max? No, your lead bullet should be 0.001" min over bore size for best results. I do not know how you get a lead ring shaving to be inside the case after firing, everything should go down the bore.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I'm A Honcho!
    I shoot the same rifle and NOE Boolit Close to that one....That's too much H110. Ill bet you a beer your best accuracy is somewhere between 21 and 22 grains.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Primers are not a good indication of pressure. CCI and Winchester primers tend to flatten above 55,000 psi but I doubt your 44 mag rounds will ever get that hot and still have an operating gun afterwards. Federal primers are considerably softer and will flatten with "normal" .223 or .308 loads so that isn't a good indication on the other end.

Boolit Master
    1) Size to throat or .001 - .002 over groove diameter; 2) There are no circumstances that I can envisage that would result in a ring being shaved off the boolit by chambering, or that would leave such a ring inside a fired case. That's a mystery.

Boolit Mold
    What you are talking about resembles an issue I had with my 35 Rem. Take a look at the pics of the rings. If it's the same issue I hope the thread helps. If not, then disregard my post. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-35-Rem-shoot

You guys are right...I used win 296, not H110, which was in my Lyman 4th edition cast boolit load book. I thought that was a pretty stout load since i've read that the 296 and h110 powders are exactly the same ... but I've never mixed them or load data of course. I would have thought 23 grains would have been the max for 296 side is the same as H110. I Have a little w296 left yet from years and years ago used it instead of the H110. I planned on downloading it to 21-22 grains as advised being there is a world difference in recoil by downloading it 2 grains believe it or not. I have some loaded with 21 grains of h110 and it's a putty cat compared to the w296 23.8 grain charge. After I sighted the 23.8 GR w296 load In
    At a 100 yards I can tell you the 21gr load of H 110 drops a good 6-8". My boolit is .0001 over bore. I slugged the barrel last year. Made three slugs and they all measured the same. I bought a lee sizing die and add my GC to it at he same time. I also PC before sizing and added the GC. I was using federal gold metal match large pistol primers.

After reading your post sfauble I'm wondering if I crimped the boolits too much and stripped off a little ring I only saw it it one case. I am seating past the crimp groove or the boolit won't feed in my 77/44 magazine so I probably cut into the boolit. I'll have to give it less of a crimp. I'm using the lee factory crimp die. I was pretty positive I over crimped them...and now it makes sense.

I have pics posted on what one the boolits looked like, and what was left here...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sticity-of-tin

I am also wondering if that's A misprint for a max load of w296 in the 4th edition?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-23-2018 at 10:35 PM.

I'm A Honcho!
    Thats the recoil reacting on the light 77/44 making for the variation of 6-9 inches. A firm grip tightened my groups on that gun.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

All cleaned. No leading found. I'm going to work up a few more loads starting with 21gr in half GR increments and work my way up to 23gr and test for accuracy.