WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty's Buckshot Molds

Boolit Grand Master

Just so everyone is aware, he had problems with his original hinge design, and had to stop production. He now has a new design, and has resumed production. It looks like he has most sizes available. He lowered the price to $90 too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFx2pibXks

Don't miss the 10% discount code "BubbaRountree"
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 06-19-2019 at 01:54 AM.

I just bought a #3 buckshot mold from Marty. Same design as the Sharpshooters. I spoke with My buddy Wade at Bubba Roundtree Outdoors and he likes them.

Haven’t cast with mine yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a 000 buck on the way.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Sharpshooter mold for buckshot. For sure were just a Do-It mold. Alignment and fill-out was not up to my high standard of at least being round. Handles were too short and burned my hands. Sure got talked up good on some Websites.? This one looks like it has a better hinge.

I love the way the Lee round balls turn out from their 6-cavity and 2-cavity molds but alas, no .330".

Just wondering how the buckshot molds from Lee work out as far as making round balls?

Don't mind trimming off the sprues but can't have a ball with a seam line all around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I bought a Sharpshooter mold for buckshot. For sure were just a Do-It mold. Alignment and fill-out was not up to my high standard of at least being round. Handles were too short and burned my hands. Sure got talked up good on some Websites.? This one looks like it has a better hinge.

I love the way the Lee round balls turn out from their 6-cavity and 2-cavity molds but alas, no .330".

Just wondering how the buckshot molds from Lee work out as far as making round balls?

Don't mind trimming off the sprues but can't have a ball with a seam line all around it.
    Give Lee a shot. They’re cheap and just might live up to your “high standard”.

But like any multicavity mold, if your lead or mold isn’t hot enough, it still won’t fill out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post

The Lee buckshot molds drop balls every bit as good as the 6 cavity molds.

Well I was pretty sadly disappointed when I tried casting with my new marty's .20 caliber, and got .24 caliber balls. Those might work in my .223rem but sure do not work in my Sheridan Blue Streak. Its marked .20, but every ball I cast measured .244 or bigger. Threw it on the shelf in disgust and there it sits.

No I did not even bother to complain about it. Not worth my time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Give Lee a shot. They’re cheap and just might live up to your “high standard”.

But like any multicavity mold, if your lead or mold isn’t hot enough, it still won’t fill out.

I hear you on having to get the lead hot enough. I use a Coleman gasoline stove (much hotter than propane) and iron pan. It works better for me when making big boolits.

I will "bite the boolit" and lay down the money on a Lee buckshot mold then. If it doesn't work, I can always get my money back. We will just have to find out!

For trimming the sprues, Harbor Freight sells a small set of side-cutter pliers that will cut off the bottom part of a .36 maxi-ball to make a kind of collar button boolit. Tough metal, whatever it is.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been tossing around the idea of a poor-man's ball mill for making cast lead balls more perfectly round. At the moment it's just an old freon tank with a hole in it. I pour in a load of balls, seal the hole and let it crash around in the back of my truck while I drive to work for about a week. I'm getting good results with lee .690 balls. .445 balls for the flintlock take longer, maybe two weeks. I'd imagine common buckshot sizes need quite a bit more. Eventually I'll build a motorized stationary tumbler to do the job.
    Perhaps one of the teeny little harbor freight rock tumblers would do for 00 and smaller.
    With the big .690 balls, the sprue and mold parting lines disappear entirely, and they measure out much more evenly when I take the dial caliper to them.
    .445 never seem to get perfect, but they get shot with a patch anyway, so i'm not yet sure it's worth it with this crummy setup.
    earplugs are recommended if you take the truck route.
    bonus points for anybody with the beans to do it in a cargo van.

Boolit Grand Master

I tumble buckshot in the HF rock tumbler. some of them get a little nub of sprue left, and tumbling knocks this down. This makes them stack in the shell easier. I have not noticed it helping roundness, as they are already within .002" round anyway, most of them less than that. Lee makes a phenomenal ball mold.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well I was pretty sadly disappointed when I tried casting with my new marty's .20 caliber, and got .24 caliber balls. Those might work in my .223rem but sure do not work in my Sheridan Blue Streak. Its marked .20, but every ball I cast measured .244 or bigger. Threw it on the shelf in disgust and there it sits.

Thank you for posting this, I was waffling about ordering one to try.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a .680 and .720 mould. We'll see how it goes. If it's much larger than stated I wouldn't hesitate to make him make me a new one.

Boolit Master

I have what is likely a complete set of Sharpshooter Buckshot Molds. Yes, the handles need modification. Even gloves don't entirely solve the issue. I dislike the clipping individual balls, but there was nothing else available in the smaller buck sizes like T and F that I like for coyotes. Hinges? They are what they are. Perfect alignment, no, but there was nothing else like it available. Can a mold be made for buckshot smaller than #4 that cuts off the sprues? If so, I'll buy them. I'm a mold-aholic. Bring 'em on!

Ghosthawk: Close to #4 buck. Powder coat them and send them from your shotgun. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

You should at least send marty an email so he knows he made a mistake. It would help everyone in the future.

Boolit Master

I have a single cavity Lee 310 RB mold that sat on the shelf of a local mom and pop gun store for at least 30 years. $12 bucks, what the heck. Sometimes I use it when cadence casting using 2 molds. I was surprised how quickly I cast 5 pounds of buckshot. I have contemplated the Lee 6/18 cavity but I just don't shoot that much buckshot. I know with the 3 round balls per cavity are easy to separate with canine toenail clippers, and then running them in the Lyman case tumbler to smooth the sprues.

Might as well tumble with PC powder in the Lyman but sounds messy. The plan is to buy some see through/opaque hulls and load some red/white/blue buckshot, and fold crimp with a clear plastic over shot card, my brother's request. The 69 cal RBs will be loaded with special cup wads and roll crimped. 69s will be PCd Zombie Green (and black) just because. Hey, every Zombie I have shot were DRT, um already dead, but stopped right there. I might even make some Barbie Pink ones for the Wife. I just need to order the see through hulls.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

If you wet tumble putting the shot into the tumbler with a bit of graphite not only coats the shot so it doesn't stick together with age it also pounds the nib off at least somewhat.

I have only used Lee 6 cavity round ball and some group buy buckshot molds from MP molds to make buckshot. I have toyed with the idea of buying one of Lee's "string of pearls" in #4 since I don't have that size and do load 20 gauge. Haven't taken the plunge yet. Guess since it is a commonly available mold I don't feel any rush.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I got a #4 buck handle screw burn the crap out of ur hand. I wouldn’t buy another

Boolit Man
    I have Marty's molds in T, F, #4 Buck, and #1 Buck, love them.

Have Lee in the #4 buck and 00

50/50 wheel weights and range lead makes for some very hard buckshot that patterns very, very well.

A coffee can full of T shot is some serious work!

Quote Originally Posted by ackleyman View Post
    I have Marty's molds in T, F, #4 Buck, and #1 Buck, love them.

Have Lee in the #4 buck and 00

50/50 wheel weights and range lead makes for some very hard buckshot that patterns very, very well.

A coffee can full of T shot is some serious work!
    I hear you on the T shot. When I have some time to make for to cast some I will get more done also. How dose yours shoot ? Do they pattern good ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast