Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyd’s Hardwood Stocks Review

Boolit Master

Boyd’s Hardwood Stocks Review

Anyone have any experience or feedback with Boyd’s Hardwood stocks?

They have some interesting models and I’m debating their fully adjustable stock for my Remington 788 just to put it in a better chassis. Prices seem a little too good to be true.

Boolit Master
    By "fully adjustable stock" do you mean the At One with adjustable LOP and comb height?

If so, I recently put a sporterized Swedish Mauser into one and added an adjustable butt plate. Fitting required an extremely minor amount of filing, maybe 10 minutes total. The barrel was fully free floated right away. Because my sporterized Mauser had the bolt turned down, it took time to carve out the bolt channel, but otherwise it was drop in. The stock is surprisingly light but substantial and rigid. The adjustable LOP furniture is a little cheesy. But it locks in place fine.

Imho, the price is right.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Boyd’s Hardwood Stocks Review

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-At-One-Stock

Still haven't shot it. And still think it's ugly as all get out. I may have time to work on it on Tuesday. But I have two ARs to build first. If it wasn't such a pain to get it set in the stock free floating it wouldn't be a big deal.

I bought one of Boyd's thumbhole stocks for my Savage 223 and it fit fine without any adjustments needed. Shoots well also.

I have used a few of Boyds stocks, my only 2 dislikes A) the thumb hole stocks aren't for guys with little hands.....and the finish is not as shiney as I like.....a little minor fitting must be done.....

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav 110 223 .250 neck LW CM barrel Boyds Tactical stock SSS recoil lug 9-29-2013.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	220947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5-06 9-23-2015.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	220948

I have built a couple rifles with Boyd's pro varmint stocks. They are very low cost for laminated stocks, and I paint them.

Boolit Master
    I just put my Ruger American Compact .308 into one of their Platinum shaped stocks. Took some minor fitting and still needs bedding. I am quite pleased with the quality. Boyd's had it to me inside of a week too!

Boolit Master
    Ok think I’m sold.

Thank you all for the great info. Next bonus check comes out I’m ordering a One Stock in Walnut for my 788. Will post a photo of it doesn’t take too long to get said bonus

Boolit Master
    I purchased one of Boyd's laminated stocks for my 30-30 in 788. I had rebarreled it, using a heavier contour barrel, so I had to relieve the barrel channel somewhat. But other than that, a perfect fit. Very pleased, I paid about $100 plus shipping a couple of years ago. Be aware, that the 788 has different action lengths, that are determined by the spacing distance of the two action screws. Be sure you order the correct one.

Boolit Master

I have three rifle in "Boyds Stocks". One a Mauser in .308 with thumbhole, a Savage axis in .223 with a "Classic" stock, and a Remington 700 in .308 with a "Pro-Varmint" stock.

1. I hate the looks of the AT-ONE stock. Just not willing to part with the $$ to try one.

2. In my youth (1960's) the Thumb Hole stock concept arose (Apache I think they called it). Thought it was cool, but never owned one until I bought the Mauser .308 because it was already on the rifle. Works OK; but not sufficiently impressed for me to buy one for other rifles in the Gun Safes.

3. Bought the "Classic" Boyd's stock to replace the Savage Axis .223 Tupper Ware stock. Great improvement. Significant improvement in accuracy of shooting for the Savage Axis with the Boy'ds Stock.

4. Bought the "Pro-Varmint" Boyds stock to replace the Plastic Remington 700 stock that came on my Cabella's .308 Varmint Rifle. Dramatic improvement in accuracy once I put the Boyd's stock on the Rem700. I am still not thrilled about the looks of the "Pro-Varmint" stock (really like a classic look on a rifle stock), but it feels really good when shooting - so I guess I'm a convert for this stock style.

Still can't get past the looks (Flash Gordon Ray Gun?) of the Boyd's AT ONE; will not buy one - unless I try someone else rifle so outfitted before hand.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 05-24-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I’ve had a couple of their stocks before, both the Classic, for my scoped rifles and the Prairie Hunter for my iron sight rifles. The Prairie Hunter shape allowed me to cut off the raised cheek piece which allowed proper eye placement for iron sights.

Their website, at least to me, is not user friendly. I tried numerous time to price out a Prairie Hunter stock unfinished and can’t seem to get there. I’m going to have to call them I guess.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

They won't change the LOP so, at 6'2" and a 36" sleeve I'm not a customer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I don't have one of their adjustable stocks, but I do have one of their stocks on my T/C compass. For the price you are paying, you are not going to find better. For twice the price, you might not either. Are there minor (VERY minor) issues? Of course. These are not hand made stocks meant to be absolutely perfect. They are well made, everything fits nicely, and everything is as it should be. They look great too.

Boolit Master
    Here are two Mausers I Built on Boyd's Pre finished stocks.
    The top one is one that is out of the box and fitted to a 1909 Argie in .35 Whelen.
    The bottom one is the Same Exact Stock, that I stripped the finish off and did a little re-shaping.
    Then re stained it, and fit it to a Czech Mauser receiver with the same Adams Bennett .35 Whelen barrel.

Boyd's will change the length of pull. I just checked a Classic hardwood stock for my Savage 110. They offer 13-3/4" standard, and 13-1/4", 13-1/2", 14", and 14-1/4" options for $25. I'm 6'4" and 14-1/4" is about right for me. If I wanted longer, the Boyd's stock comes with a 1/2" recoil pad, so I could easily substitute a 3/4" or 1" Pachmayr.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The finished product has a lot to do with what you know what to do with what you get. Check out my sticky on Joni Lynn's Mauser for tips on correct stock design. Boyd's leave plenty wood to do it right if you take the time.

I personally detest a thumbhole stock, and have turned down stocking jobs to do them. A proper classic stock is much nicer, IMHO. Ditto on the adjustable stocks. Better to have one properly designed to fit you, although I realize many don't have the resources and a competent gunbuilder close by.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Boyd's will change the length of pull. I just checked a Classic hardwood stock for my Savage 110. They offer 13-3/4" standard, and 13-1/4", 13-1/2", 14", and 14-1/4" options for $25. I'm 6'4" and 14-1/4" is about right for me. If I wanted longer, the Boyd's stock comes with a 1/2" recoil pad, so I could easily substitute a 3/4" or 1" Pachmayr.
    That must be realtively new. Couple of years ago they told me no luck.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I was buying a Boyd's finished stock and in the cost build up there was a small charge for not finishing it

The only thing I don't like about Boyd's is Internet Explorer won't go there, needed to get Google chrome.
    Leo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast