StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Graf & SonsADvertise hereTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First post,a bit involved Q

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Seems like it would be a simple matter to obtain/construct some sort of nipple/anvil that could be inserted into a percussion cap, which would then be held in place by a simple sheet of paper or foil glued in place on the inside of the cartridge/primer assembly. I'm envisioning a small aluminum tube, if such a thing exists. Once it's got a charge of compressed black in front of it, it would go nowhere. I figure your striker head would need to be somewhat smaller than the diameter of the cap, giving a really hard, indenting bash on the middle 2/3rds or so, forcing contact with whatever you've installed.

Another option would be to fill the cap with some kind of "crunchy stuff" - if flammable, so much the better. . . just so long as it isn't bore-eroding.
    Right. Just off the phone with a local vendor and it seems all version of 6 and 9mm blanks are exempt. Net idea though in such a case would be the 9mm version as that is centerfire by design.
    Only drawback,seing what were talking,would be economics as theyre certainly more expensive then regular blackpowder primers but then again...using BP for propellant is cheap enough anyways so.
    Thinking as such...you win some you lose some.

Ordered a couple of boxes,they come 50 a box,and will design around that. Dimensions of said cartridge is on the correct side of 11mm so..we should be good to go.
    Even for the better theres versions that hold minor amounts of smokeless,me thinking as such that smokeless present will minimize fouling.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    You mentioned the LEE 500 above - some of the long range boys here called questions on that one for stability - since I liked the boolit I have been attempting to prove them wrong on it - not able to do that so far - in calm conditions I can get it to shoot but any amount of wind (doesnt take much) and that big pointy boolit goes haywire - seems like for me it gets out to about 400 ok but by 500 its all kaput - a few days back I tried a modification to it by turning a small flat on the front end that seemed to work - just a flat .215 across instead of the pointy nose - something to try if you get that far with this chasse project.
    Yup.
    Read about that,thx for going the extra mile! Sort of a situation to us over here are lead times involved with the more...obscure molds.
    LEE for instance is normally to be had over the counter while the more exotic RCBS,Saeco,Lyman aso are not.

A lathe ive certainly got,a Lyman melting pot as well (cast craploads for my revolvers) so...nothings stopping me from going out on a limb as far as trying various mods to a casting mold.

Speaking which,and about as off topic as it gets,i really enjoy shooting my 44 cal revolvers too and that there with using shrink sleeve might just be an idea to implement there as well.
    OTOH..paper cartridges works that much smoother with the revolvers.

As were gun buffs and i happen to own the occasional odd ball oldie...

A real scarse Freeman 44 Army. Yes,i use it.

Guess i dont have to explain that one... LOL

N here an 1858 born in nov of 1864 that i overhauled/restoed and use as one of my main guns for CAS.

Guess a few pics of goodies always makes for a better day...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing View Post
    Yup.
    Read about that,thx for going the extra mile! Sort of a situation to us over here are lead times involved with the more...obscure molds.
    LEE for instance is normally to be had over the counter while the more exotic RCBS,Saeco,Lyman aso are not.

A lathe ive certainly got,a Lyman melting pot as well (cast craploads for my revolvers) so...nothings stopping me from going out on a limb as far as trying various mods to a casting mold.

Speaking which,and about as off topic as it gets,i really enjoy shooting my 44 cal revolvers too and that there with using shrink sleeve might just be an idea to implement there as well.
    OTOH..paper cartridges works that much smoother with the revolvers.

As were gun buffs and i happen to own the occasional odd ball oldie...

A real scarse Freeman 44 Army. Yes,i use it.

Guess i dont have to explain that one... LOL

N here an 1858 born in nov of 1864 that i overhauled/restoed and use as one of my main guns for CAS.

Guess a few pics of goodies always makes for a better day...
    1864 - you kidding! it looks like a new one ! pleased to see you use it - collector guns that dont get shot seem such a waste to me - that remmie is alive - stashed away in a collection its just a pretty piece of dead metal. I just have bread and butter stuff . I like workin on em though, its fun to bring a tired one back to life or hit center with one that somebody thinks is shot out !

Boolit Master
    ???? 1864 really? With S&W DA grips fitted to it? Typo maybe?
    You restored it to this current condition - Please tell is more, fill in the details. This is a story that needs to be told.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub

Sure. Looked like this when i bought it. Ugliest sights in history,but i reasoned as such that such a gun most likely had a barrel and cylinder looked after. Indeed.

Getting rid of that fugly front sight i thought they had turned that diameter difference down,no such luck. But i cut a fresh barrel end (looks only) and went at it. Ditto for the dovetail at the rear.

Blending the new barrel end in...and handing the piece a new crown while at it.

Much of making the outers of it come full circle,seing how involved the design is after all,was a matter of..by hand. Finer and finer grit emory backed by a regular file.

Stocks indeed are off of a Smith model 29 that ive had laying around for 30yrs or so. Reasoned as such that..why the hell not. TBH it makes for a profound difference in how you handle the gun.

Then..bath time. Old fashioned style. Ie;nitrates only,which brings that gorgeous blue,at approx 360degC.

Here fresh outta the bath. This is where polishing with 0000 steel wool and oil pays off and the rest...is history as they say. Use the gun vividly.
    Serial tells it saw light in november of 1864 i believe.
    Pulled a couple of stunts on it to secure that NOONE ever will be able to pass it off as an untouched original. Actually own half a crapload of Remmy 58s..

For instance. Bought this "deactivated" 1858 in Britain a while back. Completely ruined in essence,drilled right through the frame and barrel,cut with a die grinder into the barrel aso aso aso.
    Well. I got it cheap,being an original,with a serial of 58 xxx...and see i had something completely different in mind.

Reshaped the grip of it into a birdshead one..

Boolit Bub

...and made a 3,5" barreled snubbie out of it. Cool little piece that actually shoots very very well. Tight as a...just purrs as you spin that cylinder.
    T7 and a diet of 200-240 grainers make for a nice,compact little gun. A large cal and large frame piece of kit..
    Stocks of it are a little neat. Fellow countryman to me has a past as a diver. That there is "black oak". Ie;oak thats been under water for a long time...as in a LONG time.
    Its salvaged oak from one of our regal ships that the russians sank in the baltic sea back in 1723...
    Hows that for a story.. LOL

That said.
    Back to Chassepot cartridges and bullets friends!!

Boolit Bub

That over and done with,this is a pic of the full length cartridge as itll present itself in MY gun. Ie;its all in all 18mm longer than the stocker (just a tad under 3/4").
    It does make room beyond what even i thought. I filled the thing up,leaving ample room for a boolit and i came to a halt at 140 grains worth.

Now. That leads me to believe that a fullsize (as in 14,5mm outer) shrink sleeve cartridge for the stock thing..thats an easy 100-110 grains at least,which leaves room enough for the stock 90 grains at will AND a hefty sized grease cookie or whatever along those lines.

In other words these are ballpark figures and hands us an idea what to expect.

Boolit Bub
    Ok guys.
    So for the time being i picked up a LEE 459-405HB and cast me a couple of hundred boolits.

From the looks of it this has turned out as thought. Need to adjust the mix used in the pot though as for some reason i get quite a few wrinkles. Antimon i guess.

Anyways.
    What im playing around with at the moment is the use of either RWS shotgun primers (nope,no 209s) or 9mm blank cartridges by Walther.

What im having doubts about is if the NC 9mm blanks will evacuate the chamber and barrel seing the size of them. The regular shotgun primers though,no doubt what so ever.

The NC 9mm blanks though,as far as im concerned,might very well be the ticket that aside as they do contain a very limited (approx 5 grains) amount of smokeless.
    Idea there,i guess evident enough,is that the very minor amount of smokeless will make the main blackpowder charge burn way cleaner.
    Yay or nay...you guys tell me.

Boolit Bub

Alright. So this is what ive been up to. Them there are the two primers ive noodled around with. First up a RWS one for shotgun shells and in turn a 9mm rimmed cartridge for blank firing revolvers.

Both of them sport an anvil within,which is the main trick here as far as im concerned. The 9mm blank in turn also sports a few grains of smokeless,which i hope will add to the gun burning way cleaner than on BP only.

Over all cartridge length here is approx 90mm. Ie;cartridge in case is intended for my "hotrod",but in essence the same thinking applies for cartridges for a stocker.
    Ive up until now been of the absolute opinion that some sort of primer holder is of need,not so anymore. What ive basically done is superglue a sorts of "lid" to the main cartridge body and in turn just poked a hole for the primer in it.

My main concern here being the integrity of the cap holder part. Any and all flex is bad news and might very well render a no go.

This previously led me to the conclusion that some sort of holder is/was needed. As it turns out though the main body of the cartridge is plenty strong,meaning that it all comes down to that "lid" being stiff enough to handle the poke of the firing needle.
    That,of course,also means that the bigger the primer diameter the less the flex, naturally.

Seing the mimic design vs a regular brass cartridge,just out of shrink sleeve,im happy to report that it seems like the main body withstands the movement imposed by a firing needle with ease.
    ..and see that 9mm blank is of dimensions where itll clear the rifling no worries.

So.

In the next couple of days ill try and make a few for the stocker of mine SANS powder. Ie;i WANT it to be as "lose" as it can be cause if the gun fires the primer no matter id say were home free.

In essence?
    Well,this made the whole thing come together as simple as can be in my book.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234