RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 480 gn bullet

Boolit Buddy

480 gn bullet

Hi Gents,
    Any recommendations for an inherently accurate slick bullet between 480&500 gns for 200-300 yards? Shooting a 45-70 with 1in 18 twist.
    Thanks, Richard

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Pick about any bullet .444-.446 diameter, cast it from 16-1 and wrap it in Seth Cole 55 w paper.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Don,
    I could only find one slick and is was a production Mould from Buffalo at 500 gns.
    Best Richard

BACO's .446 525 shoots very well to 800 but after that it starts falling apart in the 45-70,45-90 and 45-110. It weighs 518 or so when cast from 16-1 and 520 from 18-1.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m looking for a lighter bullet for close range practice that will be easy on my shoulder. I’ve had two shoulder ops on my right shoulder but it is not giving me any trouble now. Recoil never bothered me, but age and the idea of shooting a long string may give me a bit of grief.
    Thanks Richard

Banned

i have one such slick coming from tom @ accuratemolds, .443" at 490 grains, specifically for 200-500 yards. this was at my request and has been added to his mould catalog as 45-490P. cheap @ $81/shipped. i've had a few other moulds from tom, all are excellent. for the real long range distances i use a BACO JIM443530E. i use fidelity 9# onion paper for all slick patching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ppb.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	220891

Richard measure the butt plate on your rifle and get one of the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads, they really tame the felt recoil down a bunch.

Boolit Grand Master

Look at Brooks moulds He makes a very nice adjustable cup based mould that shoots great. He will make it to the dia specified in the alloy also. I have one itsa money style nose and adjustable cup base with the vented sprue plate. cast great bullets round and very consistant in weight. I use these blocks on a set of the old style locking handles also which I think aids consistency since they are held closed under the same pressure

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Gents,
    I just ordered an Accurate Mold 45-405P sized to .443+-.001 as per a PM discussion with rfd.
    Gotta look into a recoil pad....zlooking at the Kik but will check out the Limbsaver too.
    Country gent, the bullet mold I ordered has a pretty small radius ogive that would be needed in a lighter weight bullet. I had thought about getting an adjustable mold but I think when you decide on a nose (ogive & meplat) shape your somewhat limited in bullet weight choice. I may go that route later on but for a heavier bullet.
    Thanks again
    Richard

If your rifle has an 18 twist you may or may not get that short bullet to shoot well. You may want to reconsider the diameter on that bullet and move up to .444 or bigger.
    I've tried a bunch of different recoil pads over the last 20 years or so, and those limbsavers are by far the best I've used to date.

CG's suggestion on a nose pour adjustable is a good one. I like those as they do allow you to taylor the length to your rifle. KAL and Leeth also make good ones. Old West did make them but unfortunately has quit that style.

Banned

tom's 45-405P slick is more than fine in a 1:18 twist for a good 200yds in .443 wrapped to .449+ ... i proved that at last year's club fall match, and in a six stack wad cartridge, to boot. i worked with tom on a 405P bigger brother, the 45-490P which will first get tested 200 to 300 yards at the club range, and then out to 600 yards when i get down south.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ppb.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	220924

tried the past shoulder pad and found it more annoying that good. tried the limbsaver and it sure helped. but the kick-killer's leather boot with internal akton gel pad was by far much better for me. just a consideration.

http://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/

the main thing is, while it's good to get the opinions of others, particularly those who've travelled the road yer on many times already, all this subjective stuff still needs personal testing (and money, time, money, time, etc...).

rfd, you could always load your best stuff and head for Lodi in a couple of weeks. That Creedmoor cup match is a ton of fun, then followed up by the Midwest bptr regionals. 4 days of load testing to be sure.

Banned

don, right now i'm dealing with surgical med issues that won't get resolved 'til the summer, and was hoping for the quigley this year that just ain't gonna happen ... but i do appreciate yer suggestion, thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Don , Will be ordering a recoil pad tomorrow. You mentioned shoots at Lodi and Creedmoor and then the Midwest regionals...Where are these shoots located? I'm in far Eastern TN. Is there a list of BPCR shoots floating around any place? I have a place to shoot at 100 yards out of my back yard so I thought a light load to work up and use to practice my technique would work in my favor.
    Thanks, Richard

Richard the Lodi matches are at the Winnequah gun club in Lodi Ws. The Creedmoor cup begins on June 7 and ends June 8. Course of fire will be 3 sighter shots and 10 for record in a 25 minute time period at 800,900 and 1000 yards. The only spotter you will have is yourself.
    The regional begins on the 9th and concludes on the 10th. Regular bptr rules there, unlimited sighters and 10 for record, 800,900 and 1000 yards. you can have a spotter.
    The Riverbend gun club in Dawson Ga, runs silhouette and an occasional midrange bptr match. There are silhouette matches in Ashland Ky, and Shippensburg Pa, and Friendship In.
    We try to keep on list of competitions and the results on Historic Shooting Forum, and you can also pick up a copy of the Black Powder Cartridge News at most newsstands that sell Rifle and Handloader magazine (or take up a subscription) the keep a pretty extensive list of ranges and matches by state in those pages.
    Nothing wrong with light loads for trigger time and if you get into the bpcrs those light loads may work well for the chickens.
    I would urge you to get to a match sometime, and shoot it if possible, you'll learn more shooting a match than you will reading stuff in print over the course of years.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Don, I just finished looking up Lodi Wi and reading about the match. I’m very tempted to drive up and be a spectator, no way would I be able to compete at such short notice. But would like to drag my spotting scope along and watch the boys at work.
    Regards, Richard

Well watch for the Wyoming flag flying at the camping area.

Richard bring your rifle and shoot the match. Lodi has a fine bunch of guys and Gals shooting there and you will be squatted with someone.
    I just live 2-1/2 hrs from there but I will be in Montana when that shindig is going on or I would be pleased to shoot with you and I would even offer my rifle and loads for you to use if you didn't have any ready. It's a heavy brute of a rifle for the Tollofson class in the .44-100-2.6 Rem straight that is a fine shooter.
    Bring a Gypsy wagon or a tent and spend time there.

Boolit Buddy
    Gee whiz guys that sounds fine and thanks so much for the kind offer Kurt...too bad you cant make it. Would love to try your rifle. If I make it I will sure look for the Wyoming flag Don. Brings back many fine memories of years gone by pronghorn hunting in the Medicine Bow area and spending weeks handloading ammo for a half dozen varmint rifles to use on whistle pigs in the Bighorn Mountains. All this when I lived in Colorado.
    Best, Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast