Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Aerial Assault on Wild Hogs - no cast boolits

Boolit Master

Aerial Assault on Wild Hogs - no cast boolits

Georgia has more than enough wild hogs and has an open season on them. The DNR just conducted a managed assault with the help of the feds on one of our WMA hunting areas. Over 400 were killed in a weeks time.

http://www.gon.com/hunting/aerial-assault-wild-hog-war
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Thats pretty neat, but thanks for posting. The people that commented after the story raised good points.

I have a hard time with this. Had a hard time when Texas did it and a super hard time when they allowed poisoning..

Florida is said to overrun with hogs, odd, I rarely see them, when I do, it is on state land that cannot be hunted. Lived here for over 50 years, most of us eat them, so there is no over abundance..

yes I live fl too I hardy ever see a pig either ..but ive see what they tear up wow
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I have a hard time with this. Had a hard time when Texas did it and a super hard time when they allowed poisoning..

Florida is said to overrun with hogs, odd, I rarely see them, when I do, it is on state land that cannot be hunted. Lived here for over 50 years, most of us eat them, so there is no over abundance..
    You might not see them, but they are definitely there! I've seen plenty of their handy work, but I've only seen them once.

I don't agree with poisoning them though. That's bad for anything that eats them after they go off and die.

Boolit Master

A better plan would to have numerous hardened blinds on the ground to get the strays that the chopper ran by you.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    nm game and fish along with a few other agencies did the same thing here, but did it in a huge scale. now there are nearly wiped out. never did get to go hunt them.

Boolit Buddy
    The couple of aggressive tactics to reduce the population is a reflection of the lack of management ability at a couple of WMA's.
    With the exception of a new season recently implemented (May 16-31), hunting hogs on public land was limited to when other game animals are in season (and only with the weapons legal for that game animal), basically August 15 - February 28 and March 24 - May 15 was the only allowable time to hunt hogs on most WMA's.
    DiLane Plantation and Ossabaw Island are prime area's for for this population explosion and are being very aggressively managed.
    A "year round hog season" on public land would certainly help but in some locations it will not be enough. The paid shooter and his group are very effective at quickly returning the population to a safe level the given environment can support.
    Benny

Boolit Buddy
    At one time, it was considered listing the hogs on Ossabaw Island as their own species. Best I recall, it was determined they were not really no more distinct than other regions where the hogs were introduced.
    It would be interesting if samples from these various area's could be preserved for later tests when/if the money ever becomes available.
    Benny

Boolit Master

Yes the hogs are destructive of habitat and compete with wildlife for available food. They're spending lots of money it seems to control them. Until they make a serious effort to eliminate the coyotes that are unatural predators in our (GA) environment that have decimated quail and rabbits, and are working on the turkey and deer population heavily, I have little respect for their management practices. BTW, the guy that wrote the story is an old classmate and the biologist I.B. Parnell is a good buddy. Grew up hunting all over that territory.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Yes the hogs are destructive of habitat and compete with wildlife for available food. They're spending lots of money it seems to control them. Until they make a serious effort to eliminate the coyotes that are unatural predators in our (GA) environment that have decimated quail and rabbits, and are working on the turkey and deer population heavily, I have little respect for their management practices. BTW, the guy that wrote the story is an old classmate and the biologist I.B. Parnell is a good buddy. Grew up hunting all over that territory.
    Spot on !

Boolit Buddy
    Here in Saskatchewan, the wild boar problem has become very bad in areas of the province. The problem started when people were raising the animals for meat and had lots of escapes. Its been said that when market prices were very low some just opened gates and let them out. The authorities discourage individuals hunting because its felt that when a hunter harvests one or two boars the others that got away are essentially "taught" to avoid hunters in the future. Large organized hunts including aircraft that can take large numbers of the boars. The damages sustained by the animals is astounding to look at, beautiful alfalfa fields ripped up. A news article on the subject. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...says-1.2657050
    https://www.grainews.ca/2016/02/04/w...uble-on-farms/
    Last edited by james23; 05-25-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi Dave.I was born and raised in Vero Beach,Fl.Lived there from 45 to 85.Just about every time I went fishing along State rd 60 West of there,I saw wild hogs.
    Shot two nice sows in one day.Good eating too.Last that I read about two years ago,the wild pig herd in Fl was at about 900K and growing.Getting a bit crowded in places.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    You might not see them, but they are definitely there! I've seen plenty of their handy work, but I've only seen them once.

I don't agree with poisoning them though. That's bad for anything that eats them after they go off and die.
    I will rephrase the statement,,, I rairley see hogs or their rootings except on or near State lands that cannot be hunted In this part of rural Florida. To many rednecks that love pork.

I remember when the Florida Wildlife folks has a size limit and season on them. Lots of Private clubs are making a small fortune guilding folks to big hogs.

With that said, I saw 2 this morning just outside of town, on State land, rooting up the side of the road.
    Last edited by MyFlatline; 05-26-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder what it cost per pig to shoot them out of the helicopter? And then they paid a gunner besides. I sure got into the wrong business.