Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows...

Boolit Master

Windows...

Somehow I got a windows update that fried my laptop. I went to Best Buy and bought this HP Chromebook. Now I gotta learn how to use it....So far it ain't a lot of fun, but it is a lot like my android tablet... But I gotta remember all of my passwords that were saved to the forums that I go to... Oh well...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Well. You figured yours out for here. That’s a good start.

I picked up an HP spectre and seem to like it. With the SSD HD it’s lightjing fast.

Vendor Sponsor

Linux Mint ftw.....
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I get so frustrated with Microsoft! When my students overhear me mutter "Microsoft!" or "Windows!" under my breath, they know that I am cursing.

Boolit Master

i have dos 6.22, winxp, and win7 on boxes that have a need. (ham radio/programming/home schooling)

everything else has xubuntu.
    xtra ftw.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Somehow I got a windows update that fried my laptop. I went to Best Buy and bought this HP Chromebook. Now I gotta learn how to use it....So far it ain't a lot of fun, but it is a lot like my android tablet... But I gotta remember all of my passwords that were saved to the forums that I go to... Oh well...
    Did you shut off your computer while windows was trying to update? Typically Windows won't harm your physical computer, but doing that can definitely cause some serious problems.

Boolit Master
    Nope, just let it do it's thing.... the geeks at Best Buy said the thing was fried, corrupted and unable to be fixed.... maybe a virus coming in piggyback?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Yep, they call that virus "Windows 10"...

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

USMC 77, USRA 79

Just outta curiousness, what were the specs of the old computer that "fried" ???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    OP, if you had any files you want on that PC, you should still be able to recover the data. Get with someone that can extract the hard drive and connect it with an adapter. Then the contents (docs, pics, etc) can be recovered.

And no disrespect, but the folks at many big box stores either aren't the most technically savvy or aren't allowed to spend too much time on those pursuits.
    The easy answer to the customer is the computer is fried, get a new one. Or the hard drive, etc...
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I got a Chromebook last fall. Didn't like it at first, but really like it now.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I can suggest what to do to recover most any data off most any old computer, I've been building and using computers since the 8008 days, it's changed somewhat :P Not many 8" floppies around any more! LOL

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, just let it do it's thing.... the geeks at Best Buy said the thing was fried, corrupted and unable to be fixed.... maybe a virus coming in piggyback?
    I'd want details as to what was "fried" and "corrupted". Fried means hardware failure and corrupted means software failure. If it was truly corrupted you can wipe and start over w/ a new install. That's a lot cheaper than a new computer.

Boolit Master
    But I wanted a new one anyway...... the other was rather old, and had been cleaned once before, at a fairly high price for around here...

I saw a Dell for $30 cheaper, but I've had it with windows. The best they ever had, in my opinion, was XP...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Another vote here for Linux...I'm not a fan of HP laptops though...I do like their printers and displays though...

Boolit Grand Master

But I wanted a new one anyway......
    Don't need any other reason. I'm stuck w/ Windows. PLC programs don't work on other platforms.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    dragon813gt you can run Windows under Linux in a Virtual Machine, lets you have both worlds & keeps Windows from messing the Linux install up. Then your PLC software will work just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Windows...

Never mind
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 05-30-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Banned

I wouldn't ask an opinion on the condition or my computer but a store that makes there living selling new ones and whos techs are usually high school grads working for minimum wage. About like asking a car salesman if he feels you need a new car.

Boolit Master

I keep my Dell laptop (Win 7) updated and try to minimize what I load on it. However it is so slow I have resorted to using my iPad, which can be very awkward at times. It is handy, but haven’t figured out how to drag and drop yet.

New laptops come preloaded with promotional stuff that I don’t need or want, plus most are designed for gaming, which I don’t do or multimedia applications.

I’m not a PC guru, which leaves me to the sales type wolves when trying to purchase a replacement.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast