Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Load All II

Boolit Master

Lee Load All II

I am curious to know what reloaders who own the Load All II think of them. I have been thinking about one in 16 gauge. Just wish they made it in 410. What I would like to hear is first hand experience, not what someone had heard from another source. Any short comings, strengths, etc.. Thanks in advance, james

James, I recently was able to acquire a Lee Load All for 20ga. ( and 20 bucks), and just got it the other day. I had my doubts from watching the videos. It seemed that they were fighting to re-size. I got worried and found a MEC jr, which is on it's way. That being said, THe Lee came Monday, I thought I would play with sizing and priming. I am impressed, not nearly as hard as some made it out to be on utube. I would say that if you are not wanting to load a few thousand rounds per year, it will do fine. Again, the simplicity of the Lee is intriguing.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have been thinking about one in 16 gauge.
    I pulled mine out and set it up on the bench to reload new 2 3/4" Cheddite 16ga hulls. I couldn't set the hulls into the wad guide because they are affixed too low . Called Lee Precision - answer ... "The Load All's were not designed to reload new hulls" Said Thank You, ordered a Mec Junior and threw the 16ga Load All in the garbage
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

I got mine (12 ga) used, and its worked great for what i need. I've reloaded plastic and paper hulls with it. simple setup and does what it was made to do. I don't load new hulls so works fine for my needs. best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time...
    It might not be as refined as other loaders, but it works for me. I don't do high volume anyway..
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Master
    I have been using one in 12 gage for over 30 years , and like it , that being said a few years ago I ordered a 20 gage conversion for it and couldn't get the shells to line up correctly - but it was originally for 12 gage so I didn't feel to bad . I like that it comes with a set of bushings and I can easily load up a box or two of shells . It's cheap and flimsy but mine always works for me .

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a LoadAll in 12,16 and 20. Acquired at different times, used, over the last 30yrs or maybe more. The 20ga has the steel deck so it must be pretty old.
    I used nothing but these for years back then. Never had a problem.
    They are not a progressive and are not sold as such. The sizing is a bit slow as you have to place the ring on the shell in the first step, then it's pushed off in the second(priming) step. But big deal, it was much better than the mallet method of the table top LeeLoader at the time!

I didn't even use the sizing ring when loading for my SxS's. Didn't make a difference if one was a tiny bit snug chambering. Most all would chamber just fine in my pumpguns too w/o sizing.

I've since graduated to a MEC 9000 for 12ga as I shoot a couple hundred rounds at least twice a week.
    A MecSizermaster does 20 and a 650JR does 410 but the LoadAll in 16ga still does my shells in that gauge.

I use the 12ga LoadAll to load BlackPowder substitute loads using card and fiber wads. Great for that still.
    A couple friends use them to load specialty ammo like buckshot, slugs (rollcrimp separately) or small batches of other shells for hunting they don't want to set their big machines up for changing the powder and shot reservoirs.

If you're only going to do a few boxes every once in a while, they're fine.
    But if you're going to load say 100rds every wk and more, then I'd say step up to at least a Mec singlestage.
    just so much more solid a machine,,you pay for it of course.

The Loadalls seem to be around used for not much $$. I'd probably buy one off of that market if I wanted one now.
    Make sure you get all the powder and shot bushings with it.

A MEC 650Jr single stage would be my next choice up.

Boolit Master
    I bought one 25 years ago. I loaded 12 gauge with it. It worked fine for me but I was only loading two to three boxes at a time. It was used when I got it and worked good. I haven’t used any other shot gun reloaded so I can’t comment on any other kind. I guess it’s like reloading presses. If your the type like me that can reload with a single stage press and be happy loading 500 to 1000 pistole or rifle shells go for it. Some people want the fastest and most gadgets you can get. I think reloading is a fun way to spend my free time instead of watching tv. So the slowness of a single stage press doesn’t bother me. Now if I was a competitor shoter going through 1000 rounds a week the progressive would be great. If I ever decide to start shooting skeet a lot I might get a quicker better loader but for now the older I get I just want to keep is simple. Also when I did load for shot gun with the lee load all I only loaded two kinds of hulls and only three different size of shot. I really didint need a lot of different shells. Most where for skeet

Best tip I saw was someone who drilled a hole in powder/shot bin just smaller than the foam earplugs you can get for the range. Need to make a change? Grab a bowl, pull the plug, same on the other side. Made things a lot simplier.

Me I went with a Lyman Easy Loader in 12 and get by with that. I have the conversion kits for 16 and 20 but have not played with them yet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a MEC and a LEE and use them both. I load a lot of 12 ga steel shot, and use an adjustable shot dipper and use a powder dipper for charging, so both take about the same time. The MEC is much more finicky and I tend to use the LEE more. I like the crimp on the LEE better anyway. Different strokes for different folks.

Boolit Master
    lee missed a boat load of sales by not making it in 410 same for slug molds what were they thinking ???

I've had a 16 and 20ga Load All for many many decades; they got me into shot shell loading for little "outlay" of funds. I found that if I used the reloaded ammo within months, rather than years, of loading the shells, they worked without problem. If you loaded them and did not have the proper wad for the shell casing, or didn't employ a very "firm" crimp, some would "unfold" over a long period of storage time. I used "candle wax droppings" to help seal the crimp, which did help in most cases, but seemed to loose a couple of shells in every box. I did not know that "Lee" didn't recommend using new cases and have done so on more than a few occasions. Although I still use the 20ga Load All, I have "upgraded" my 16ga loading with a MEC 600jr. The MEC does give a better, longer lasting crimp on the finished shell. MEC reloads new "hulls" without a "hitch" and the shells look like "factory rounds" (unlike the Load All loads); however, they do not shoot any better! Your experience may differ, but the 16ga ammo is becoming harder and harder to find in some locals and is the reason many of us were motivated to start reloading. If I could find the garbage can that contained a 16ga Load All in it I know more than a few eBay buyers that would give more than $20 for it ("one man's garbage is another man's treasure") - no offense intended. Regards

I also wish they made them in .410, but Lee keeps insisting that they have no plans to produce them in that gauge. I own a 12, 16, and 20 gauge loaders and all work very well. They do a great job on star crimped hulls, but I crimp hulls that were originally roll crimped on a drill press with a tool you can purchase from several sources.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have had nothing but good luck with the Load All II. It's downfall is the fact you can't final crimp hard enough on some loads, the stack has to be perfect. The resizing of the Lee is fantastic. The Mec 600 Jr. ... as far as I'm concerned, that press is not able to size shells. Pure Garbage. Priming is the same for almost all presses, the Lee works fine. The shot and powder, the Lee knocks it out of the park. I can understand how some people don't like to dump powder and shot when changing bushings. I just pop the handle off, put my hand over one side, and dump. Nothing to it. There are enough bushings to load any shells I've ever thought of, and besides the powder generally throwing lighter than the chart, they are accurate. I put an adjustable bar on my Mec, and it works, but powder drops can vary but up to .5 grains depending on the powder. The Mec bushings are as good as the Lee bushings, but cost way too much. MEC could have made them out of plastic and sold a whole set for what they want a single aluminum bushing for. Finally the crimp is what really matters. The crimp starter is great on Lee, the Mec works, but has caused a number of problems for me. I purchased a brass starter, and that works better than anything. The final crimp, the Lee can be be finicky. It takes practice, but a good fitting load provides great looking crimps. The Mec can crimp nice and tight, but I've never been able to get anything all that good looking from mine. In my opinion, if the Lee wont work for you, there are only two single stage presses worth looking at. One is the PW duomatic, the other a Mec sizemaster. I finally got so sick of my 600Jr., I ended up with a sizemaster. So far I load all my 16 gauge on the Lee, and am completely satisfied. I am much happier loading 12 gauge with the Sizemaster, and will convert my 600Jr. to 10 gauge. I've long been eyeballing the Ponsness Warren 800plus, which I think is the cream of the crop for multi-gauge reloader.

Also, from what I've seen of loading .410, you will want the best you can get. Those tiny shells are a bear to load without buckling.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee Load All 2. I cant compare to anything else. It works just fine for me. I shoot a couple hundred rounds a month for clay busting and just started buck and slugs. I am sure my horrible crimps would be just as bad on any other machine. Using on over shot card punched out of construction paper has turned my crimps into almost factory looking.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

I have used 12 and 20 gauge. I have two 16 gauges for some reason but haven't used the 16 yet. They seem to work just fine for me, though I've mostly used them for round ball loads.

Boolit Master

I seldom shoot the 16 gauge anymore (cost of ammo is ridiculous). I just don't shoot the 16 enough to justify a $200.00 plus MEC. That is what got me thinking about the Lee Load All II. I had one in 20 gauge many years ago (the one with a steel base) and I made the mistake of buying a bunch of new Remington hulls to load. A day or so after loading a shell, the mouth would be coming open and spilling shot. I ended up selling the press and the hulls (all but one piece of a box). I thought I would get some opinions on the new Load All II and see if it did any better. I might still have the little 20 loader if I had just tried once fired hulls. Oh well, live and learn, james

Last I checked 50 dollars on Amazon. I have the 12 gauge and have not really had a chance to use it(I am only going to try slugs and buck). I am glad I have it, and it looks to be quite a bit better than most naysayers claim.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I seldom shoot the 16 gauge anymore (cost of ammo is ridiculous). I just don't shoot the 16 enough to justify a $200.00 plus MEC. That is what got me thinking about the Lee Load All II. I had one in 20 gauge many years ago (the one with a steel base) and I made the mistake of buying a bunch of new Remington hulls to load. A day or so after loading a shell, the mouth would be coming open and spilling shot. I ended up selling the press and the hulls (all but one piece of a box). I thought I would get some opinions on the new Load All II and see if it did any better. I might still have the little 20 loader if I had just tried once fired hulls. Oh well, live and learn, james
    The most bizarre thing to me is the fact that the 16 gauge actually seems to be growing in popularity, very slightly, but you can find a range of ammo. Nothing is dirt cheap, but you can buy Federal 1 oz loads from Walmart for just under $8 a box. This is while the 10 gauge seems to be loosing popularity, and the cheapest of ammo is steel shot $25 a box. They don't even make a 1 1/4 oz- 1 1/2 oz lead load any more. It's either full power turkey or full power waterfowl loads. That and Federal makes a slug, and a buckshot load, equally expensive.

By the way, those Federal hulls load great on the Load All II.

Banned

The problem with the 16 gauge is the only loads you can find commonly are #8 shot, fine for doves, but not much else.

I cleared out an estate sale of an avid shotgunner and got enough 16 gauge stuff to last the rest of my life. Quite a bit of #5 and 6 loads. Worked well on squirrels though my old Savage 94 that has rapidly become my favorite shotgun.

Boolit Master

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the 16 gauge. It was THE shotgun in my family in the 40's and 50's. I have my dads old 16 Browning and my father in laws 16 single barrel. We hunted everything with them--dove, squirrels, rabbits, and even ducks on the river and lake. Never felt under gunned and if a shot was missed, it was not the gun but the guy behind it. Miss a shot on a high flying duck and you might get off with a grin. Miss anything else and you were in for some first class ribbing. I miss the days when the whole family hunted together. james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast