Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beeswax, Paraffin & 2 Cycle Oil??

Boolit Buddy

Beeswax, Paraffin & 2 Cycle Oil??

Been looking through some of the "old posts" and haven't found anything, so my apologies if I am re-inventing the wheel.

Has anyone tried a combination of beeswax, paraffin and 2 cycle oil? I was thinking about 3 pounds of each of the beeswax and paraffin and add a quart of 2 cycle oil.

I would like to get a lube that withstands summer heat and is not sticky, tacky or runs. I can use a heater on the lube press.

Thanks for any insight and comments.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    and add a quart of 2 cycle oil.
    A quart is going to turn the lube into a soup consistency.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

+1 a quart is a bit much
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Master
    I would suggest that you make a much smaller batch to determine if it meets your needs. Here is a link to a lot of home mix lubes, but certainly not all of them. You might not want to use the paraffin since it has a lower melt temp than beeswax.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lube/LubeFormulae.html

Boolit Buddy
    I agree the 1 quart may be a bit much. I am looking for a firmer lube than Speed Green, kinda like a "heater required". I like that it is an easy formula to make, just a few common ingredients and relatively quick to make. Has anyone make something similar?

Boolit Master
    Would you consider just using about half of the plate lube that the recipe calls for and test. Easy enough to keep adding a little more until you either get it right, or try another recipe.

Moderator Emeritus

If I were making a boolit lube to fit your parameters "I like that it is an easy formula to make, just a few common ingredients and relatively quick to make". I'd use 357Maximum's recipe for 666+1, AKA: Satan's lube. But it does get soft in high heat...so I guess you'd have to further define your comment "a lube that withstands summer heat" are you talking 95ºF at the range, or 160ºF in the trunk of your car on a hot sunny day?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

9 parts beeswax, 6 parts softer parrafin (bought from a candle supply store) and 3 parts 2 cycle oil. It is a good blackpowder lube as it is soft but works fine in my 38, 9mm and 45 acp ammo. Might not work in more high pressure ammo like 44 mag, but I never shoot that sort of thing. Not sticky on my hands but stays in place in the bullet. Very similar to teh NASA lube the Bullshop used to sell.

Boolit Master

Get some vasaline from the dollar store and you have the basic ingredients for River's Simple Lube. Then you can experiment to your hearts content.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    Been looking through some of the "old posts" and haven't found anything, so my apologies if I am re-inventing the wheel.

Has anyone tried a combination of beeswax, paraffin and 2 cycle oil? I was thinking about 3 pounds of each of the beeswax and paraffin and add a quart of 2 cycle oil.

I would like to get a lube that withstands summer heat and is not sticky, tacky or runs. I can use a heater on the lube press.

Thanks for any insight and comments.
    No wait!
    No more than 1/3 of whatever oil your using, more than that you will exceed the capabilities of your waxes to absorb and hold the oil. You can try 20% instead of 33% and it will hold up to heat a little better. Less oil and you may lower your lube capabilities to handle higher pressures.
    Beeswax will hold/absorb more oil than Paraffin without bleeding under pressure or heat.

You can add other ingredients to help harden up your lube to handle more heat; Carnauba wax (expensive), Stearic acid (much cheaper) , Microcrystilline waxes with higher melt temps.

Too much of these extra ingredients and you go backwards with capabilities of your lube

Boolit Master
    I made a mix of 8 ounces (weight) to 2 ounces (liquid volume) Quicksilver 2-cycle oil. At that ratio there wasn't a problem with consistency or oil weeping. I don't think I would add any more oil because it simply isn't needed. Bullet lube simply don't need a lot of oil to be effective. The paraffin would add hardness, so I think I would add it in little bits at a time until I found the consistency I was looking for.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I make the old NRA lube with ATF and it is almost the same as this lube but use ATF not 2cycle oil and also Ivory soap add to the mix and depends on how you want the mix to be is up to you and I use it for all my smokeless reloading of rifle and handgun of cast boolits.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday, I didn't have time to search for the recipe for 666+1
    see post #5
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2653932
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

In Remembrance

I used to play with various formulas for making bullet lubes in my younger days, now days I just send out an order to Lars for ready made sticks. Don`t get me wrong I did enjoy playing a `mad chemist` mixing ingredients, I just lost the thrill of doing it and hung up my lab coat.Robert

Boolit Master
    Start small with the oil......you can always remelt and add more ....IMHO,the big test of these lubes is will the powder be contaminated if the loaded ammo is stored for a week?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Start small with the oil......you can always remelt and add more ....IMHO,the big test of these lubes is will the powder be contaminated if the loaded ammo is stored for a week?
    An extreme test for this is to put a bit of lube (a chunk the size of a boolit) on a paper towel, then set it on the dash of a closed up car on a sunny day. Look and feel if any oil migrates to the towel.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    Bullet lube has been discovered.

The best lubes, ...give the best bullets, ....reasonable accuracy, ...up to around 2200 fps, and that is pretty much the upper limit.

Re invent the wheel on bullet lube, that's ok, but the limit is still around 2200 fps, for the reasons of cast lead bullet strength, rifling twist, flame temperature at the bullet base, acceleration, etc..
    Best lube I dunno, but a good practical lube home made bullet lube, is a mix of cooking oil, and bee wax.

Boolit Master

Bullshop was able to go way past 2200 fps Using conventional bullet lube and I have no doubt about it. You too can do it, if you use the right lube and do your homework.
    The QUEST go on friends

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Bullshop was able to go way past 2200 fps Using conventional bullet lube and I have no doubt about it. You too can do it, if you use the right lube and do your homework.
    The QUEST go on friends
    Thanks for that reminder of posts from the past...that one was a good one
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ocity%20usable

and here is another one:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...and-Lotak-lube
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast