Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1858 or 1860 remingtons? which do you prefer?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robert12345 View Post

My old Remington shoots dead on at 20 yards, with a round ball, after I sighted it...
    And, I can shoot right along side any Glock, or Smith Wesson..
    For 6 shots

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is fun.
    "If you swap the grips , build it up with modern parts , convert it to CF , add the quick change pin/wedge and a half a dozen cylinders , modify the design to fix/cover up the flawes , and finally get the sights dialed in their just like shooting a modern gun" ..........
    You do know that when you convert the 58' with a CF cylinder and a loading gate it effectively becomes an 1875 , right ?
    It's about soaking up the flavor feel of a time gone by . If you modified all of the design flaws out and convert to CF then you might as well shoot SAA 3rd Gen , or RBH . It's kind of like buying a $289 Philippino SA 1911 copied from an early WWII gun and putting all the best part from Wilson Combat , Les Bear and Kimber you've got a slick gun every bit as good as any of the big names but you spent a bunch of money to get it there and it's not a Kimber or a Baer and when someone looks it over it's an SA Philippines and it'll never be a a 1912 built or a Singer built 1911 Colts .

So shoot em' , mod them shoot them some more . The beauty of either design is that scale up or down , develope the correct technique to avoid the malfunctions of design and they are as good as anything else designed and mass produced 1859-1872 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    For 6 shots
    Both my 1858 and ROA keep the same group size throughout my range days. At times it is maybe 60 shots each if I make paper cartridges. Gatofeo’s #1 lube seems to do a fine job for my guns. I’m no pistolero but my 15 yd groups are often better than many of the fellows with autloaders shooting at 7 (offhand shooting). And I don’t clean between shooting but will oil the base pin on my 1858 and wipe the outside of the cylinder once in a while.

If its good enough for Jose, its good enough for me.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

My second gen Colt SAA wears a '60' gripframe and trigger guard with the 1 piece wood grips ( made by Uberti) and is THE most comfy revolver i have ever put into my grubby mitts.

Shooting Lee 200 grain tumble lube over 7 grains Unique it is more accurate then I will ever be.

And yep ... a REAL Colt. Better than any Rem ive ever shot ( plenty) or cap Colt. Totally reliable and totally historic. Cant be beat in my humble opinion ... does it all for me.

Opps guess i am at the muzzle loading section. Srry for the deviation ... got a bit carried away
    Last edited by bigted; 06-04-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Forgot the section we are in

Boolit Master
    I am sure many understand the deviation due to the Clint Eastwood effect, no one here is innocent I would bet!

Boolit Master
    Well if I fought in the civil war I would be carrying a Remington as my side arm. Yes I like the colts & the feel in the hand. But cap jams
    have always been the problem with Colts. Lost wedge was also a problem. Modern revolvers are almost all top strap fire arms for a reason.
    Many confederates stole the Remington's off the Norths dead officers to replace the Colts.

Fly

The 1860 's grip feels better in hand for me but I kinda like the 1858's sight configuiration so the deciding point for me is the overall looks and the colt gets that department.
    BTW my Whitneyville Dragoon is my favorite to shoot , albeit a bit heavy with a loaded cylinder.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Both my 1858 and ROA keep the same group size throughout my range days. At times it is maybe 60 shots each if I make paper cartridges. Gatofeo’s #1 lube seems to do a fine job for my guns. I’m no pistolero but my 15 yd groups are often better than many of the fellows with autloaders shooting at 7 (offhand shooting). And I don’t clean between shooting but will oil the base pin on my 1858 and wipe the outside of the cylinder once in a while.
    How long for 18????????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    How long for 18????????
    Can you please clarify your question? I’m not sure what the 18 is concerning.

Boolit Grand Master

He thought you were meaning 7 shots, not 7 yards!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Remington 1858.

I read a lot about both before I decided to buy.
    I knew that I didn't want to get involved with gunsmithing at all if I could help it.
    I didn't like dealing with barrel wedges on the Colts that I have handled.
    I'm very satisfied that I decided to go with the Remington 1858.
    Last edited by arcticap; 07-04-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I like the grip of my 1860 better than my 1858. But, I'm more confident shooting heavyer loads in my 1858.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12