WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
StainLess Steel Media

Thread: Speer manuals

Speer manuals

Lookin over some of my manuals and came across a #7 circa 1966, #8 -1970, and # 10-1979. Would these be old enough to stir up any interest from collectors of old manuals ? All three in pretty good shape.

Boolit Buddy metricmonkeywrench's Avatar
    Definitely of interest not only to collectors but reloaders in general, as times change so does the available components and listed calibers. Having references that you can refer back to can sometimes be invaluable

Sounds logical. Think I'll just keep em. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, wish I had kept my Dad's #10; some Red Dot & Blue Dot loads in the older Speer manuals that I can't find anymore.
    I expect that I could find more useful loads that were dropped if I happened to have a few manuals side-by-side.

Rather unfortunate that my powders are usable for longer than the revision cycle of reloading manuals, lol.

Boolit Bub
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Yupper, they are great for when I started to use up some of the vintage powders in my stash. 230, and several other old Win. powder from the 70s. Gave me a place to start and work up so I could use up those old timers before I take the big dirt nap! If I do not use them up they will end up in the land fill or be destroyed by the bomb squad. I decided to burn it up one shot at a time!

Boolit Master
    I've got a speer from the 70s that was part of my uncles equipment, I like to use it for reference compared to newer manuals.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Mold
    My oldest is the #8. Bought it when I got out of the Army, just back from Vietnam. Still have it though the pages have yellowed with age. And still have the notebook style Lyman manual from the same era. It too is showing it's age as most of the tabs separating Rifle, Handgun, Shotgun, & Muzzle Loader are worn or broken off.

I regularly go back to these for loads the new manuals don't list. Yea, I know the new stuff is supposed to be much safer but people shot these older recommended loads for thousands of rounds (me included) so I have trouble believing they are all so dangerous. Guess I'm getting cranky as I get older. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-06-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

I used my No 10 Speer manual last weekend brewing up some Win 231 loads for my 38 Special SWC's. 4.1 gr under 160 gr lswcs.

Boolit Buddy
    I have about fifty manuals including Speer books that go back to the '50s. The old manuals remain excellent sources for comparison and reference.

Boolit Master
    All manuals are invaluable. The caveat being that pressure testing methods have changed and the older manuals contain hotter loads. This shouldn’t pose an issue for a reloader that does things correctly and works up the load. It can cause issues for people that skip right to max loads.

Boolit Master

Back in the middle of the great powder shortage , I discovered a can of Alcan #5 , had S&W name on it , that had hidden itself in the back of a closet shelf. It Looked good , smelled good and Speer Reloading Manual #8 (1970) had plenty of load data on the Alcan powders ...so I used it !
    Waste not , Want not ...as Mom would say.
    Them old manuals come in handy at times....that's why I never get rid of one.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

Boolit Buddy
    I run across some older and some newer manuals in yard sales and estate sales, some of these people don't have any idea of what they are worth so I snap them up. that is a good place to look .

Makes me kind of sad that manuals I bought new are now "vintage"

Boolit Buddy
    Speer #2 and #4 manuals are for Wildcat calibers. Those two are also the hardest to find.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

I gotta get the most recent manual otherwise I have them all. The number 4 is probably my most treasured

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still using my Speer #9 as reference for most of my reloads. Just found load data in it for my 7.7 Jap using a 100 grain carbine bullet (I know it's a condom bullet) which looks like a lot of fun.