Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading Cast Boolits issue

I am using a cases feeder, and the cases are all the way into the shell holder. The one pic of the leaning case is extreme, most of the time it is tipped out just enough to barely catch the edge. But they are always tipped out, not tipped in. Reading and researching on the internet it seems this is a common Lock and Load issue. The shell holder has enough slop in it where the base of the case sits to allow the case to slop around, and not be held tight enough. When the spring is pulling on the outside of the case, the slop allows the case to lean enough where it wont go into the sizing die. Spring tight on the outside bottom of the case, and slop on the shell holder on the inside of the case and it leans out. Common solution seems to be to stretch the spring a little so it doesnt fit so tight. more sophisticated solutions is to machine some of the bottom of the shell holder off so the slop goes away, but then the cases dont feed as well.

I will try to stretch a spring a bit tonight and see if the cases stand straighter with not so much pull on the bottom outside. Knowing my luck I will break 3 or 4 springs because if a little bit is good, a lot must be better

Boolit Master
    Another proponent here of sizing after powder coating. Powder coating does add a very measurable difference to your boolits.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Sounds like you have the shaving solved but if you have more issues , check out NOE. THey have expander plugs for a range of sizes. I have the LNL AP and have not been all that happy. Lot's of money to sit idle. Best of luck.

Trying to post a video of the case feeding into the sizing die, I justs cant quite get the case to stand straight enough to go in the sizing die, other than that it seems to be working fine. I continually have to reach in there and stand that case up a little bit so it feeds into the sizing die. Rather than buy a different die with a larger mouth, I may open up the mouth on this die a little.

Hope the link works.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...vd1AKdb4MtIB_9[/VIDEO]

I do have to say the Lock and Load requires a lot of tinkering to keep it feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
    The only 9mm dies I have are the Hornady I just bought with the press.

Since it wont cost me anything to flare the neck more, I will try that tonight, if the boolits keep getting stuck in the die, which by the way is a PIA to get out, and I keep getting shaved lead rings, I will get a different set of dies and try that.

I know I have a few bugs to work out, it wasnt obvious the Hornady dies might be the problem, they still have the shine on them.
    It is not the die but the setup. I have a set of 44mag dies, work fine with lead bullets, just give the case more flare. The Hornady seating die is one of the best with the floating nose punch, helps keep the bullet straight.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
    Expanded the case necks quite a bit more, and the first two casings thru the press, had a brass ring cut off the case, where I was getting a lead ring from the boolit before. Didnt go so dramatic on the flare, and after 30 rounds looking perfect, I went from single case per round, to full AP loading. Around 150 rounds loaded before I ran out of cast boolits. No more rings cut from the boolit or the case, so I am hoping some neck expanding adjustment remedied that issue. No more boolits stuck in the seating die.

I am still having issues with the first stage, 1 out of 3 +/- of the cases just dont stand straight to go in the sizing die.

I can reach in there and touch it each time and get it straight, but that is kind of a PIA. I checked; correct shell plate, I tried a new spring on the plate, shell plate was tight, I havent found a way to remedy the shell cases that dont go in the sizing die straight. A bit confused why the cases dont like this stage. I am shooting once fired brass I bought. Maybe I try a different batch of brass???
    Ok stupid question, do you have the correct shell plate installed? The case should never do that. I am not sure, but is there any adjustment for the slide that pushes the case into the shell holder? My buddy started on a LNL, he has modified a bunch of stuff to get it running well, he is a machinist. He still has it but bought a 650 & just goes & goes.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Shell plate #8 for 9mm installed on unit. if you watch the video linked you will see it just barely doesnt go in the sizing die usually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12