Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 29-3 to the factory

Boolit Master

We have a motto around our house - Just because you don't remember it, does not mean it didn't happen - and conversely - Just because you remember it, doesn't mean it did happen. Being an older couple, we have a lot of fun with that.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by mustanggt View Post
    One thing I didn't like about it was the grips. Color is too light and they are too small for my hands. Good thing I still had the original stocks from the -3 those are nice and hand filling.
    Yep, it seems that S&W went out of their way to make stocks that are ill conceived for big bore revolvers. Note to S&W... quit "improving" revolvers grips!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

mustanggt, I bought a S & W 22 mag with 6" bbl back when 22 mag ammo was not available....when I got to shooting it I noticed that out of each cylinder one brass would be consistently ruptured.....I marked the cylinder with a pencil lead and then shot one shot until I identified the problem cylinder.....the pistol when I bought it would qualify for a 98% with no scratches or dents and a beautiful blue finish.....I sent a letter to S&W, in the fall of 2017, and explained what I just related to you plus there is no chance that any reloads were ever shot it the weapon, since i know of no way to reload 22 mag brass.....I gave them the make of ammo and all the other pertinent info and sent the gun in.....they researched it and charged me $198.00 for what was obviously a factory defect......the weapon shoots great and the long and short of this story is that you got a good deal on the new gun and I hope it works well for you. Whether or not they give or charge you is a **** shoot....but they did do a great job on my revolver....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I really do like it. I have been shooting it weekly since I got it. For those of you with small hands the new grips will be to your liking. However they are too small for mine. Fortunately I have the big target stocks from the -3 and they are perfect for my hands. Glad I remembered to take them off before I sent them off.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Master

I can believe that. Several years ago I picked up a S & W Model 30 for my wife's carry gun. Some rust specks and original box. Came from an old woman who gave it to a friend for a painting job. Been in the drawer in the box for eons. Came with a box of .32 Auto with six rounds gone. I'll bet that was all it had ever been fired./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I listened to a podcast where they said a Smith and Wesson Representative told them at a trade show the average hand gun is fired only 15 times. I can believe it.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mustanggt View Post
    I bought a 29-3 S&W back in Feb. and couldn't get over my luck that I found one this nice for the price. It looked like it never been fired or very little. Took it to the range and tried out some trailboss loads in it at 825fps and moved on to 10 of Unique. Didn't shoot too well. Probably me since its been a few years since I shot a 44 mag. Got it home to clean and saw all kinds of bluing missing from the ciylinder and the bolt turn mark had gotten way more prominent. End shake was terrible and cylinder gap was .009" I checked over all the necessary points on buying a used revolver. They all passed my test. No way did those two loads cause the frame to crack from the bottom of the barrel through under lug of the crane housing. Sent it off to Smith and it's a total loss. I get a brand new one for my troubles. We'll see if it is made as well as the 29-3. I hope it will live up to its billing. real disappointed.
    The newer ones shoot just as well as a good classic one. I have a 629 made right after they started putting the Hillary hole on them. It'll shoot cloverleafs if you do your part.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12