Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 29-3 to the factory

29-3 to the factory

I bought a 29-3 S&W back in Feb. and couldn't get over my luck that I found one this nice for the price. It looked like it never been fired or very little. Took it to the range and tried out some trailboss loads in it at 825fps and moved on to 10 of Unique. Didn't shoot too well. Probably me since its been a few years since I shot a 44 mag. Got it home to clean and saw all kinds of bluing missing from the ciylinder and the bolt turn mark had gotten way more prominent. End shake was terrible and cylinder gap was .009" I checked over all the necessary points on buying a used revolver. They all passed my test. No way did those two loads cause the frame to crack from the bottom of the barrel through under lug of the crane housing. Sent it off to Smith and it's a total loss. I get a brand new one for my troubles. We'll see if it is made as well as the 29-3. I hope it will live up to its billing. real disappointed.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

A free new gun? Lucky you. A new 44 mag will have the endurance package. My M29-2 didn't and is back for repair now.

Well I did pay $1000 for the 29-3 so I'm out money for the one I really wanted and only put 40 half power rounds through it. I think it came with a flaw from the factory where the crack appeared. I'm ok with it and hope it looks and works as good as people say. Thanks
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

My 4" bbl'd 29-3 has seen a couple rounds down the tube, actually a couple rounds too many.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Too bad about your 29-3, they are an excellent workhorse proving shooters with countless hours of quality range time.

Banned
    I once purchased an old S&W model 12-2 that was unfired.

It was a beautiful, new in the box, 30+ year old revolver. I have experience with the model 12 and didn't wish to abuse that alloy frame. I selected some mild target loads and on the second cylinder full the groups opened up to shotgun patterns. The frame had cracked just under the barrel.

I didn't think S&W would warrantee that one but I asked anyway. I was right, they would not cover that one. So, I have a lot of spare Model 12 parts now, which is fine because I have another model 12. I lost the price of the gun but I was taking a chance when I purchased it and I knew it.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I bought a new M-19 (blue 6") and tried to duplicate Super Vel ammo by handloading. I built loads with 125 JHP bullets and SR4756 powder loaded as recommended by a Speer handbook. You know what's coming... The frame cracked under the barrel where the yoke closes. I found the damage during my cleaning routine after firing the revolver. Frustrated, and scared, I shipped it back to S&W for correction. The M-19 was a routine production item at that time so parts availability was not an issue. The factory fitted all of my original parts to a new frame and returned it to me at no cost. Since then I have stayed clear of hot charges with light bullets in the K-frames, actually most all hot charges with any bullet in the K's. This exercise in caution is more important now that earlier style frames are no longer available. That M-19 still gets to go out with me for the occasional fun day.

Boolit Master
    Owned a 29 just after the Dirty Harry movies. Fired it maby 20 rounds and put it away. It hurt to shoot even with Hogue grips. Lost half the value when i traded it.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I think I remember Dirty Harry saying he liked 44 special loads in his 44 mag and used the S&W 29 because he liked the extra weight of it. It has been a while and I do occasionally remember things that never happened, according to my wife.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    You are correct.

Well S&W called it irreparable. They sent me a brand new one free of charge. It turns out it is a better revolver than the -3. It has a better trigger and the blueing is nice as the -3. I've been shooting it this past week and like it a lot. I've been shooting 6gr of Red Dot and 8gr of Unique. Very nice accuracy and the recoil is just snappy enough to let you know your shooting a big bore revolver. Can't say a bad thing about it. Even the hole isn't that noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I think I remember Dirty Harry saying he liked 44 special loads in his 44 mag and used the S&W 29 because he liked the extra weight of it. It has been a while and I do occasionally remember things that never happened, according to my wife.
    Magnum Force was the movie and he was talking to David Soul( Starsky&Hutch) when he said it.
    I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One thing I didn't like about it was the grips. Color is too light and they are too small for my hands. Good thing I still had the original stocks from the -3 those are nice and hand filling.

Boolit Master

Too bad about the 29-3, but it sounds like you at least got a decent replacement.

An off topic comment, but I used to really stress about loss of value on a gun (or car, or tool). It really hurt to damage a valuable item. I've never blown up a gun, but it would have felt like the end of the world to accidentally destroy a $500 gun. Now, especially after a recent (minor) hospital visit that cost me $5,000, I wouldn't stress about it so much. It's just money, whatever.

I've heard a saying that if your only problem is money you really don't have any problems. I try to tell myself that. I really am happy with that 29-10 classic so I'm over the -3. Now I'm looking for a pre 17 k22 masterpiece. Really like these old Smith revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I once purchased an old S&W model 12-2 that was unfired.

It was a beautiful, new in the box, 30+ year old revolver. I have experience with the model 12 and didn't wish to abuse that alloy frame. I selected some mild target loads and on the second cylinder full the groups opened up to shotgun patterns. The frame had cracked just under the barrel.

I didn't think S&W would warrantee that one but I asked anyway. I was right, they would not cover that one. So, I have a lot of spare Model 12 parts now, which is fine because I have another model 12. I lost the price of the gun but I was taking a chance when I purchased it and I knew it.
    S&W has changed hands and policies. You should try again. They may fix it or replace it now.

Boolit Master

I've heard a saying that if your only problem is money you really don't have any problems.
    I like that. I’ll have to remember that, and occasionally remind myself of all the problems I don’t have.

I listened to a podcast where they said a Smith and Wesson Representative told them at a trade show the average hand gun is fired only 15 times. I can believe it.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Well, we knew we were all way above average, didn't we?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I listened to a podcast where they said a Smith and Wesson Representative told them at a trade show the average hand gun is fired only 15 times. I can believe it.
    I think I have that licked Chris.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    You are spot on with your memory in this case....he said so in "Magnum Force" ...... by the way my wife says the same thing about me!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast