Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Charter Arms pitbull 45 Opinions needed

Boolit Master

Charter Arms pitbull 45 Opinions needed

Hey guys, looking to add a 45 acp revolver to the collection as a CCW and general purpose carry piece. What are your opinions and experiences with this gun?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Dan: I don't have the 45 but I do have the 40 S&W five shot C.A. The C.A. system of rimless case loading without moon clips is slow and a bit of a PITA but other than that, nice enough little revolver. Gp

Boolit Master

I have a new Charter Pit Bull 45, but have not fired it yet. It chambers ACP rounds only, no Auto Rims and no moon clips. It's easiest to load the rounds with the ejector held partly open, then release the ejector and press the rounds home. I like the little bugger.

I also have a CA Pitbull 40, I had to send it back for a couple issues, but it was swiftly repaired. The loading is a real PITA, I wish CA would make it with moon clips instead. The Pitbulls can be loaded from a semi auto magazine, but the taper crimp tends to hang up. I found the cylinder is easier to load by depressing the ejector slightly. Keep in mind that without backup if any time is needed to reload even if only a second, it may be a second too late. Bad guys do not do time outs while the good guy reloads. My CA will not eject using aluminum cased ammo, probably what broke my ejector in the first place, use only brass ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm wanting one of the new Charter Arms Pitbull XL in 45 colt. (which some people call "long colt")
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quite frankly I would rather have an Auto Rim chambered variant so the use of speedloaders is possible.

As it is I view it as inferior to a rimmed case using revolver. The loading hang up and inability to recharge it quickly relegates it to a range toy in my opinion rather than a carry piece.

Boolit Master
    Just opt for the 44 Special, easier to load and more versatile. However, just don't expect it to fit in your pocket. Even though is roughly the size of a J-frame, that extra barrel length, makes a huge difference. This is mine, I carry it, mostly while bow hunting or working around my acreage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060775.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	220769

Winelover

Boolit Master

Handled a CA Pitbull 45 today in gun shop. I was NOT impressed. It is nowhere near as nice as the undercover 38 I bought my wife 18 years ago. Guess I will just keep shopping around. My 1950's era J frame smith hasn't let me down yet...
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    The finish is a little rough but mine has a decent trigger and the throats are all pretty much even and cast bullet friendly.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    The finish is a little rough but mine has a decent trigger and the throats are all pretty much even and cast bullet friendly.

Winelover
    That's good to know. I've not seen one yet, hope to soon.

From the more recently made CA production, they are not finished as nicely as before. A friend has a 22 Pathfinder that has a rough bead blasted finish. Not pretty to look at but it's not a Smith or a Ruger, and the price reflects that.

Boolit Master

I've bought two new Charters in the last few months, a 44 Off Duty and a 45 Pit Bull. Both are finished quite well and work smoothly. The 45 throats are dazzlingly perfect, the 44s are rough (will send that one back for work).

Boolit Master
    Good to know on the 45 cylinder throats, will look as soon as I come across one.

Boolit Master
    I bought mine, new, off GB............so I didn't get to examine it. All and all, I 'm pleased with it. But it's not a finished like a S&W, nor was it priced like one.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I have no experience with the new Charter Pit Bull 45acp, but it sounds like a dandy little .45. I might look around my LGS for one.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master

I’ve seen a few of both flavors come through our CPL classes, fired a few of each flavor they both seem fine to me, good buddy had the 44 undercover and traded it for the .45 pit bull, he wishes he would not have and wants the special back. The PITA loading for one and he thought the 44 was better finished and smoother

Boolit Master

I bought one of the Pit Bulls in July of 2016. Wanted to get something with less weight for casual carry rather than my 1911, but still have the advantage of the 45 acp cartridge. IMO, this revolver serves it's intended purpose very well. No, it's not a S&W. It's fit and finish cannot be compared to a S&W. But, it's not junk either. Also, IMO, CA has come a long way in the past years to improve both the function and finish of their products. I don't have any problem whatsoever with the way one loads the chambers. I can feed it as easy as my S&W revolver. Others have stated that it would be detrimental to have to reload the Pitbull quickly in a desperate situation. I do believe this is true. I also believe that the same would be true of my S&W revolver. I don't carry or use speed loaders.
    Another plus with the PitBull, is that when fully or even partially loaded and the cylinder open, one can point the barrell up and still not have the cartridges fall out. Try that with your S&W or other make of revolver.
    I would like to have adjustable sights on the piece, but for what the Pitbull's intended purpose is, it is perfectly acceptable. I replaced the factory grips with a pair of large Pachmayr grips to fit my big mitts. They are very comfortable, and make the piece a lot easier to control with full acp loads. I bought one of the form fitting De Santos holsters to carry the little beast in. They are very nice, although not very cheap.
    Just my .02

Boolit Master

Oh, by the way. The trigger pull, both single and double action are very nice.
    Does it shoot good you ask?
    Even with my aging bad eye sight, I can hit a baseball 5 times at 12 yards with the Pitbull. Not bad for a little 2.5" snubby.

Boolit Grand Master
    The slow reload compared to a revolver that takes rimmed ammo in speedloaders (the 45 variant cannot use them) makes it more of a range toy or sportsman’s piece.

Nothing wrong with that, but the 44 variant is a better CC piece. If it is not a CCW gun, have at it. If one is contemplating it for that use (concealed carry) it is better to acknowledge its limitations and pass on the purchase.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    bought wife a ca 32hr had to send it back for a couple issues fast turn around. took to range yesterday works great i feel the finish is quite good trigger aslo quite good. may not be quite as good as my sw but it ain't far from it. was impressed enough i got a ca 41 mag pug on the way. had a sw snub 44 mag one of the one of 5000 that came out in the 80s was stolen in breakin and wanted one ever since i think the 41 mag may be the trick at least i hope.