Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lube on tip of Button nose wadcutters

Lube on tip of Button nose wadcutters

Hi all, I just got my first Lubesizers and have tryed to set it up. I am getting lube in the rings, But i am also getting 6 spots of lube on the point of every bullet, I think it could be lube transfer from the holes in the die but not sure, can some one help me out on how to fix this

thanks

You may be running your boolit to deeply into the sizer.
    Most wadcutters only need lube on the bottom couple of grooves. Many who can shoot well enough to tell say to lube only the bottom groove.

Yep, the bullet is too far down into the die when the lube is applied. You don't say what kind of sizer you're running, but if it's an "up and down" sizer, such as Lyman, RCBS or Saeco, then adjust the depth so the bullet isn't pushed so far into the die. If it's a Star, then adjust the top punch so the bullet isn't so deep when the lube pump is activated.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Sometimes the Star will do this if you have too much lube reservoir (not the pump) pressure.

Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Taz and Fred are correct. Had this same situation when I first started lubesizing 45 ACP 185 button nose swc in a Lyman 450. Boolit was going too far into the die and was leaving lube dots on the swc nose. Simply back your depth adjustment out until you are only lubing the groove or grooves you want. No problem. And have fun on the learning curve, and don't hesitate to ask questions. I have only been casting for 15 years so I am still a newbie and refer to this site for info I might need. When you have a problem go to the stickies section and you will probably find your answer there

Moderator Emeritus

pkchwy,
    welcome to the forum.
    Judging from your previous posts, I assume you are lube-sizing in a Star.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post4365759
    Too much lube pressure and/or too much heat (if you are heating the lube).
    Also, there is a learning curve to setting up (adjusting) the top punch...so once you get the pressure/heat dialed in, then work on top punch height.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    No worries, Pkchwy. I am new to the hobby as well (37 years along) and I trip over something new every now & then. Welcome to the site.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

thank you all, I will try then and see if i can get it working