WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any HAM's here?

Moderator Emeritus

AS a novice I used a HW16 and an Eico 722 VFO that warbled frequency bad if bumped... Straight key and I was copied doing 25wpm one night... with the arthritis and carpal tunnel now CW is sent via computer KB...

And I am on 6 meters with a 5 element beam so if any of you do 6 we may run into each other during an opening!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    WD4SCZ, the radios I use vary a bit, but NONE of them are computer driven or made in Japan. It's either straight key CW or AM phone.

Attachment 220952Attachment 220955Attachment 220953Attachment 220954
    Great looking setup! I used to run 3885 AM with a DX100, D104 just like yours. The receiver was a National NC300.

Boolit Master

W5pv,Philip,Orange TX,been ham since 1976,maybe 1975,Just don't remember
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Just saw this thread to join in on. Beautiful pictures of shacks and rigs. I use to DROOL as a kid over one day having a Collins ham station.
    Mike, WA2DLN. Ham since 71’ at the age of 13.
    Built several Heath kits as a novice. DX-60B, keyer(hw-10?) used a hallicrafters HQ-110. Put up several inverted V’s nd dipoles since I worked 80,40 mostly then. A heath VFO w/ general in mind. I built a 2el 15m beam out of the ARRL antenna book (60’s issue), and 15 cw became my primary qso’s
    Worked and Saved up enough paper route cash to buy a TA-32 2el tri bander as I passed my general in late 72’.
    Built an HW-101 and worked mainly 15m cw. Some SSB here n there on all 3 hf bands.
    10 meter AM was popular and the local county civil defense and races group had “Bunny Hunts” and storm related functions on 28.720 am. Hunts on Monday night. Road with some hams and had a blast. Worked in a TV repair shop for one of the guys and inherited his 1960 olds 88 with all the ham gear when he became silent key in 76.
    Johnson Viking 60w 80-10 xmitter w/ crystals and VFO, Gonset (G12?) converter for the am dash radio, Viking ant tuner and 8’ whip. Did hunts till 1980.
    I now understand they do 2 mtr. hunts to keep the hobbie alive.

Those were the days. Very little activity now, 2m mobile, few hf contacts several times a year when time permits. When I retire I hope to be more active on HF.

73 fer nw, Mike
    Last edited by myg30; 06-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Bottom of the sunspot cycle so HF kinda sucks right now... Even 20 meters has been quiet some days!

Definitely tough on the high bands right now. Low bands are OK. I enjoy 40m in the evenings when I get a chance to play radio.

Moderator Emeritus

6 meters has been rocking the last week, made 3 contacts to Japan on FT8 digital via multi hop e-skip... heard EU but it faded to fast for me to make a contact. Right now there is a e-cloud over Southern Indiana area and the band is open. No new grids so I am being quiet... if I get on during a stateside e opening I get slammed with QSL cards. Semi rare grid square(EN24) on 6 meters!

Boolit Buddy

Anyone operating Field day? I will be from a club members property. We will be using the call sign N3EC running 2E from WPA. If you hear the call be sure to say hi! Mostly 40 and 80m, some on other bands if we can get them to tune up, and when it gets later we may be on with digital modes too.

Jake KC3BDF

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Moderator Emeritus

Probably tomorrow night... have to mow tomorrow afternoon...

Had 2 meter e-skip yesterday, worked a half dozen station out on the east coast!

Boolit Master
    Interesting read fellas'. In the army they taught me to receive, not send. I could push 30 gpm when I got out in '72. A persons fist was something you could know on any freq. The Russians and the east germans had some women that were textbook. I listened to the MARS people a little and thanked them a lot for the links they provided. It was a shame to see manual morse go out. Thanks for the HAMS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aws1963 View Post
    Noticed a couple with their calls in the signature. Just curious who and where they may be located.

I'm W6AWS and located in NE Sacramento.

My Station
    I don't do Ham, but was wondering if you shoot at Sac Valley. I try to get there as often as I can.

Boolit Buddy

My dad was a Ham. He was an RM in the USN. Then one year, he went to sea, and when he came back everyone had gone to digital or transistors (I forget which) and all his tube driven equipment was obsolete. Mom said there was no money for new equipment. But I have learned more about her, the last couple years. She just wanted to spend the money on dog breeding and showing.

I have long kjnown about the HAM Operators and their history of emergency and disaster help. What does it take to get a license, currently?
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by OeldeWolf View Post

What does it take to get a license, currently?
    15$ test fee and a little studying. Check out www.hamstudy.org, they have flash cards and practice exams for technician license and its all free. My wife just spent a few weeks using that site and aced the test.

Then when you get consistent 80% passing scores go to http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session and find a test near you. If they dont list one try googling ham radio clubs local to you and ask about one. There's always one somewhere. And that club you find can help you a lot with your ham questions and let you play on their gear to get a handle on things.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by OeldeWolf View Post
    My dad was a Ham. He was an RM in the USN. Then one year, he went to sea, and when he came back everyone had gone to digital or transistors (I forget which) and all his tube driven equipment was obsolete.
    And just FYI, that old tube gear is not obsolete, if it still functions it will still communicate, with even the latest fancy radios. It just takes a little more know how and patients to operate it.

KD0LWU in KS. Had a couple guys talk me into it, I used to run 1kw on CB outerbands and they wanted to pull me out of the “dark side”. I really wanted to like it, certainly the phone bands, but really got turned off with the contacts I made on 10m. I didn’t “have to walk barefoot, uphill, both ways, in the snow to the FCC office to test”, so I wasn’t worthy to talk to. It’s a shame as that mentality is going to kill the hobby.
    Rant over.
    Now I’m down to 2m rigs and just get active during severe weather spotting for Skywarn.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Bub
    anyone here hang on 3916 at night??

Moderator Emeritus

2 meter SSB tropospheric ducting last night! Not super great but made a 731 mile contact. Always love it when the band opens up. My best distance so far on 2 meters tropo is 1273 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I don't do Ham, but was wondering if you shoot at Sac Valley. I try to get there as often as I can.
    Sorry for the late response. Thought I had notifications set up but I did not.

I don't shoot much at Sac Valley. I'm fortunate to have private property in the foothills to shoot at. If I'm shooting local, I'll go to the Sacramento Gun Club in Rancho Cordova.

Andy

Boolit Buddy

Just put together a new ( well quite old but new in the box) multi band HyGain vertical antenna. Made contact with Maine Iowa and South Carolina from here in PA.

Antenna is in the background, thats my son sittin at the radio. He helped put the antenna together and is now wanting to get his license.

K0BRZ here
    Was active on HF early summer till a wind storm took down my Titan verticle.
    Have not found the energy to put it back up after repairs.
    Run 2 meters simplex everyday.
    Attachment 227687

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast