RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Imr 5010

Imr 5010

So I recently acquired a 8lb can of 5010 mil surp powder and from what I’ve read it’s good in large capacity magnum cases and can be used down to 30/30 in some of the older black powder cartridges. Is there a way to find some solid data on the powder or does someone have any info on how to work up a load with this powder? I’ve looked on a few calibers on handloads site but the powder never pops up for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've used it in 45-70s with 550gr bullets in Black powder guns but you get so much of a mess from unburned powder it's not worth it. It does work fine in things like 30-378s or anything of that class.

I have a 7mm rem mag but the only book I have with that powder load is a Speer from 1962 which the round wasn’t invented yet lol

Using Tapatalk

I am curious how close the burn rate is to the black powders you can purchase

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I tried 5010 in .375 H&H with cast loads; poor choice, for me anyway. Heavy recoil (no doubt due to using 76 grs. with a 312 gr. bullet to get a muzzle velocity of just over 1800 fps), lots of unburned powder even with magnum primer, and poor accuracy.

Arrow

Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...52j13067722j19

Scroll down to the 5th item and those below it. Btw, I wouldn't recommend IMR 5010 in "low pressure" cartridges such as the .30-30Win. or .45-70 Gov't. Additionally, I've got improved combustion and lower extreme spreads & standard deviations when using it with a filler" in both the .30-06 and 8 x 57mm Mauser and CB's of at least 175gr.: those were ~full case loads.

*Grex or powdered bran (bran run through a coffee mill) and no more than 1cc (Lee dipper) and as little as .3cc (Lee dipper) in the '06 and 8mm Mau., respectively.

Boolit Master
    I use it with duplex loads in larger cases and cast boolits. Start with a case full. Velocity will be low with a lot of unburned powder. Remove a couple grains of 5010 and replace with a couple grains of a powder in the 2400 range over the primer. Probably will still have unburned powder. Replace 3 grains of 5010 with faster powder and test. Continue until powder burn cleans up or pressure signs or velocity gets high enough. Not exactly loading manual data but it's like any load you find in a book, start low and work up. There are some smaller cases that will push pressure with a case full of 5010. 308 Win is one I tried that showed pressure with just a case full of 5010. I'm sure there are others.

Imr 5010

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...52j13067722j19

Scroll down to the 5th item and those below it. Btw, I wouldn't recommend IMR 5010 in "low pressure" cartridges such as the .30-30Win. or .45-70 Gov't. Additionally, I've got improved combustion and lower extreme spreads & standard deviations when using it with a filler" in both the .30-06 and 8 x 57mm Mauser and CB's of at least 175gr.: those were ~full case loads.

*Grex or powdered bran (bran run through a coffee mill) and no more than 1cc (Lee dipper) and as little as .3cc (Lee dipper) in the '06 and 8mm Mau., respectively.
    You linked the post clicked on it 3 times before I realized what ya did there lol would it be worth a shot to try in 7mm Mauser? It 7 rem mag 308win and maybe the 7.62x54R would be the only big cases I could think of off hand that I have.

Using Tapatalk

Yes, I wouldn't hesitate to try it in the 7 x 57mm Mau. or the 7.62 x 54R. Oddly enough, I have the latter, but haven't tried 5010 in it. Also, I have no experience with the 7mm Rem. Mag., or .308Win. for that matter, so I hesitate to recommend it in the former. Btw, the biggest problem I had with 5010 was finding a powder measure that could "digest" those big sticks of powder: A Lee dipper was much faster!

Boolit Master
    I always though that 5010 was a hogdon powder and meant only for overbore cartridges and a waste of powder in smaller cartridges.

"I always thought that 5010 was a Hodgdon powder and meant only for overbore cartridges and a waste of powder in smaller cartridges." ...MT C

Well that's only partially correct, MT C. It is/was an IMR military surplus propellant used in large capacity cartridges such as .50cal. BMG and possibly some 20mm cannon rounds. It's main virtue for reloaders was its price @ $24/8lb. jug. Absent that, I doubt many of us would have tried it. And yes, there is typically an appreciable amount of unburned powder in say the .30-06 cartridge, even when heavy CB's (~200gr.) and LR mag. primers are used. Poly- or cereal fillers used judiciously, raise pressure enough to reduce the amount of unburned powder and significantly reduce velocity spreads to boot.

My granddad used a early 60s? Uniflow to meter it and he said he loaded between 79-81 gr of the stuff and have fine shooting in his 300 win mag. I happened to luck into a rem 700 in that caliber yesterday so once I find some brass I’ll see what the books say and try something. Least I have a known caliber to play with. I think I’ll look through and see if I can find the 7x57 in there as well.

Using Tapatalk