Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Got me a Turkish Smoothbore Semi-Auto Shotgun - Info needed!

Boolit Buddy

Got me a Turkish Smoothbore Semi-Auto Shotgun - Info needed!

I just got another Turkish Smoothbore Semi-Auto Shotgun – it is labelled: “EFE AV Falcon ‘Automatic’ ‘Magnum’” [Phew! Quite a mouthful – but all these names are all inscribed on the firearm!]

This is my second shotgun now [In addition to my Mossberg 500A] and would really like to know more about these guns before I start to put it through is paces.

I have for a long time now wondered why there seems to be little or no information online about the many cheap Turkish semi-auto shotguns that come to my country Nigeria [Both Legally and Illegally.]

My first shotgun was a Turkish Magnum EFE http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...erian-shotgun/. After a few months of shooting, the firing pin broke. Yes, I confess, I had shot a lot of experimental, improvised, heavier-than-safe loads – but it seems the firing pin material was more or less a brittle substandard casting.

Nothing seems to be available anywhere about the makers, or the specifications. I have really been looking:
    • Any info anywhere on these shotguns?
    • How do I know if it has a choke?
    • What kind of choke would they have? Improved Cylinder?
    • Is it of a reasonable quality that could serve me if well-treated for some time?

I plan to shoot 00 buckshot out of it [I now have a Buckshot mold!], and maybe Lyman 525 slugs – will these damage the shotgun over time? Etc.
    NOTHING on the web anywhere. I even bought a Turkish translation service and could not get anything, apart from mentions of “Silah” and “Huglu” and “Yildiz”– but nothing pointing to MY own specific shotgun type.

Can anyone help? Any of you guys ever come across these Turkish shotguns?

I have been able to [finally!] slug the bore to get an accurate reading of the specs:

So that sorts out one of the concerns with my need to know the real bore dimenions, especially of the choke on this bore.

I cast a round Lead ball of 0.735" diameter, and pounded it down my barrel: basically "slugged my bore".

I got a final result of 0.705" [17.9mm] - so at least I know now that I have an Improved Modified choke on this bore. Right?

I believe this is good enough for the kind of accuracy I am looking for.

My Lyman Slugs measure out at about 0.681 [17.3mm], and with Wad Petals: I should be up to 0.720. The wads should compress well, giving me a good seal.

I am SURE I will get good accuracy.

This is what the shotgun originally came as. Simple PGO.

I have done some [Improvised] work on it. This is how it is now...

I apologise for the picture issues: first time using imgur. Good thing they are not pulling bandwidth as they are hosted on imgur, not locally.

Also: apologies if the pseudo-Tacticool look of this shotgun offends anyone!

Banned
    Let me be the first to congratulate you, it is looking very nice.

Best of luck with it, to me it looks very much like the Weatherby shotguns made in Turkey.
    Please check this chart for the Lyman 525 slug in wad fit:

Sorry you need to do the backward push test without any nitro card for your own safety:

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Boolit Master

That's a mighty tight squeeze for the lyman 525. Looks like a screw-in choke, do you have others?
    If not, I would not personally shoot it with the lyman. THe buckshot should benefit the tight choke though.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Y-man,

I've had two Turkish semi-auto 12ga shotguns, but neither look like yours. Both of mine tended to be fussy and not want cycle correctly with lighter target loads. Since they were to be used in 3-gun shoots this was a problem. Both had screw in chokes and I used the IC choke for 69 cal RB loads. Minute of pie plate at 50 yards with a red dot. Parts are really hard to find as the importers don't tend to hang around very long. Your shotgun as modified would be a big hit with my fighter pilot son, he loves his black guns.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Ajay,

I completely did the Push-test [Shows you that I have learnt a LOT from you!]
    The slug, in wad passed through the bore with little effort, but was snug [Passed through airtight actually.]
    I have some high hopes for this Shotgun and these loads.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Y-man; 05-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Banned
    Good Morning Y-Man, if you did the push through test and feel confidant then please proceed with caution:

I would still request you to please measure your barrel OD at muzzle, did the barrel taper down gradually or suddenly at the end like a choke ?
    We all come here to help one another and learn from.

In the end we all need to win and put food on the table for the ones we love ! !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 05-26-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Banned
    Y-Man, I think you would benefit from Lyman Foster slug since your barrel beasures .705 the same as the Lyman Foster slug without wad.
    Do give it a try and might be in for a surprise, never know till you try.
    In the end we all need to win and put food on the table for the ones we love ! !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Banned
    Hello Y-Man, don't feel bad perhaps even the .662 RB in wad just might do justice to your gun and it simply might be a blessing in disguise.
    God is great and loves to amaze us every chance he gets.

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots