Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Wisconsin Elk season

Boolit Grand Master

Wisconsin Elk season

For the first time in many,many years Wisconsin is going to have a elk hunting season
    there will be a limit of 10 permits for this season but it is historic and exciting
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

That is great news, what with all the seasons being taken away around the country, it is a start !

Boolit Master

That is great! I love elk hunting!

Idaho has a ton of moose, but only allow one tag per lifetime per resident. But they are going to allow a Grizzly bear hunt this year.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Bet there will be a lot of applicants. Good to see a season being added somewhere not taken away like stated in a post above.

Banned

we had them in MI for quite a few years now. Ive applied every year and even though theres a couple hundred permits given out ive yet to get one. Problem at least here is you compete with out of state people too. Another thing is its far from a real hunt. these elk are in areas that are mostly privately owned and you have to hire a guide (land owner) and they know right where the elk are and you go there and usually have your elk in a matter of hours. They do kill some huge bulls though.

Lloyd
    Just want to respectfully clarify a couple things
    Michigan Elk Permits are Resident Only
    You don’t HAVE to hire a guide but it helps improve land access and therefore success, especially if you aren’t a “local”.
    The elk are spread across the northern Lower Penninsula. The hunt is geared toward maintaining a balance between Habitat Carrying Capacity and “Social” Capacity, what the people that live there will tolerate. Since crop damage is an issue, most of the permits available are for private land areas, The CORE of the herd is in the Pigeon River National/State Forest areas.
    While not necessarily an Elk Hunt in the Western State traditional sense perhaps, success rates show it aint a slam dunk either.
    Keep applying. I call it the great $5 chance (application fee. License is $100 if you draw). I drew and got one in 1994, nice 7pt bull. Back in every year now until I draw again.
    Kevin

By the way, Wisconsin can Thank US (MIchigan) for their elk.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    we had them in MI for quite a few years now. Ive applied every year and even though theres a couple hundred permits given out ive yet to get one. Problem at least here is you compete with out of state people too. Another thing is its far from a real hunt. these elk are in areas that are mostly privately owned and you have to hire a guide (land owner) and they know right where the elk are and you go there and usually have your elk in a matter of hours. They do kill some huge bulls though.
    Sounds exactly like our Pa elk season . I've applied since the first years they have had it same with my dad and brother still no dice for the three of us . The same issues about the areas they live and can be hunted too .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    yes we thank you for the elk
    but we also thank Kentucky for their elk in
    the Black River area
    just putting in for a hunt in my own state is amazing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

you are correct and I made a mistake in that it is for only residences. I was mistaking elk for bear when I said that. I have a buddy that lives in elk country down state and he told me its insane to even bother trying to hunt them without a guide. Not if you want a trophy animal anyway. Its tough enough to get a permit. Ive been trying since they started and even would have excepted a cow permit and haven't been picked. I only have one person I know that's got a permit and that was YEARS ago. I think it was the third year they had the hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Lloyd
    Just want to respectfully clarify a couple things
    Michigan Elk Permits are Resident Only
    You don’t HAVE to hire a guide but it helps improve land access and therefore success, especially if you aren’t a “local”.
    The elk are spread across the northern Lower Penninsula. The hunt is geared toward maintaining a balance between Habitat Carrying Capacity and “Social” Capacity, what the people that live there will tolerate. Since crop damage is an issue, most of the permits available are for private land areas, The CORE of the herd is in the Pigeon River National/State Forest areas.
    While not necessarily an Elk Hunt in the Western State traditional sense perhaps, success rates show it aint a slam dunk either.
    Keep applying. I call it the great $5 chance (application fee. License is $100 if you draw). I drew and got one in 1994, nice 7pt bull. Back in every year now until I draw again.
    Kevin

By the way, Wisconsin can Thank US (MIchigan) for their elk.