RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure stands

Question Powder Measure stands

Hi, I am looking to get a couple of Powder measure stands.
    I have looked at RCBS Advanced (made of aluminum) it states it is 9 1/2" rise and the base is 4 7/8" x 2 5/8".
    The Lyman Powder stand (Cast Iron) no other measurements listed.
    The Redding powder stand (aluminum) no other measurements listed.
    The Hornady powder stand (cast iron) no other measurements listed.
    The Lee Powder stand (steel PCed) no other measurements listed. It is relatively New release. It appears to have a much larger footprint than all the others (more space occupied)

Then there is a Powder stand (steel) made just for the Lee Classic Cast Turret on 'You Tube'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9IttaJGv4Y

This unit seems to be nice with added features, good height & is quite adjustable. But.... the price is much higher than all of the others listed above. So that is a bit of dilemma for me as to the cost.

So I would like opinions/comments on the above mentioned Powder Stands. All comments or info would be appreciated.

TYIA, SharuLady

I have the Lyman, RCBS, and Lee powder measure stands. I use the Lyman because my rifle case blocks pass under it a little better than the other two.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Hi, Ty for your comments & info on the stands. I have been searching the web for examples of Home built Powder stands. Have found 4 that seems to be fairly easy to make and still do what I am wanting it to do, Was even able to get pics of them so My husband can figure them out from there.

But I certainly appreciate you taking the time to comment.

SharuLady

Boolit Grand Master

Make your own stand make on with interchangeable tops and then only one is needed. A piece of 1/4" x 3" X 3" for the base a piece of 3/4"" X 2" square tubing, a piece of 1/4" x 1" x2" flat stock and 1/4' x 1 1/2" flat stock in desired lengths. Drill 4 1/4" holes in the corners of the base to mount. weld the tube to the base. drill 2 1/4" dowel holes in the 1/4 x 1" x2" and a 1/4 20 hole on center. Weld this to the top of the tube. The 1/4" x1 1/2" makes the powder measures mount. drill and tap a 7/8 14 hole on center from one end and the stands hole pattern on the other end. Thedowels keep it from spinning the one thumb bolt holds it together. Make the mounts as needed and just change out as desired.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen some nice metal shop built stands and a few homemade ones. The main thing is for it to have the clearance to run a tray of cases under it. Some powder measures come with a flat bar used to mount the powder measure to the top of the press under a die. This bar could be screwed to a short board to make a stand. I doubt that there is a wrong choice between the common brands.

Wish to TY 'country gent' & 'lightman' for you comments and info. Have made a copy & paste to a text file for the listing of needed items & measurements & all the instructions.

That is my desire to make sure I have ample clearance on the stands for the loading trays and an ideal height for use.

SharuLady
    Last edited by SharuLady; 05-22-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Online metals will sell short lengths 10" up to 3 ft lengths of material for the hobby worker. A really nice stand could be made substituting brass stock for the steel. braze it together radius out the braze and then polish and buff to a bright finish. Really fancy and cut the tube in a parallelogram with ends at matching 20* angles this moves the top forward in relation to the base.

In Remembrance

Being an old plumber and have made up different things over the years I decided to make up powder measure stands from copper fittings and pipe. I silver soldered a 7/8 x 14 steel nut onto a piece of pipe and just kept adding 1/2" elbows and nipples till I had what I wanted then I mounted this stand onto a wall flange using a thread connector. I mounted this stand onto a piece of 1" x 10" pine board so I can clamp it to my bench and remove when not needing it. By the way I painted it green.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Being an old plumber and have made up different things over the years I decided to make up powder measure stands from copper fittings and pipe. I silver soldered a 7/8 x 14 steel nut onto a piece of pipe and just kept adding 1/2" elbows and nipples till I had what I wanted then I mounted this stand onto a wall flange using a thread connector. I mounted this stand onto a piece of 1" x 10" pine board so I can clamp it to my bench and remove when not needing it. By the way I painted it green.Robert
    This one really needs a picture! It sounds like you have a winner.

Another possibility, frequently seen on the benches at Scheutzen matches, is a pipe clamp with a suitable length of pipe and having an adjustable plate for the powder measure to mount to or through, then additional plates or pipes to mount a spotting scope, rifle rest (for between shots) and even a cartridge tray. To get back to the original spirit of the thread, one could buy a pipe clamp with a short (9-12”) length of pipe and the plate I mentioned above to use on one’s loading bench at home. Cost would be pretty minimal, and utility would be pretty high.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    My only measures for a long time have been Redding and I use the Redding stand, which works fine. I haven't looked at the others but would assume they are similar in design.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an unknown powder measure stand that is just a piece of 3/8"x 1 1/2"x12" bent into a "Z" shape. One "foot" has 2, 5/16" holes for mounting and the other has a 15/16" hole for mounting a powder measure. Very solid, won't flex and is high enough to run a reloading block w/cases underneath. I mounted it on the corner of my "scale table" (a heavy table 8" high and about 12"x20" that I place my scale on to have it closer to eye level).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Hi country gent, for the great info on what could be used and the build. Sound's like it would be very pretty & fancy.

TY for replying,
    SharuLady

Hi Robert, This sounds like a very interesting way of building a stand! You should post a picture of it. I as well wish to have mine so that it can be moved when not in use.

Hum mm, you painted it green or did it turn green on its own with that copper pipes & fittings?

Ty for your reply,

SharuLady

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post

Hi Green Frog, Ty for your reply. This is another interesting idea for a stand. I like minimal cost but yet having a pretty high utility usage.

SharuLady

Hi lotech, Ty for your reply on the Redding stand. It was one of the commercial stands I originally looked at. But an considering building a stand (with my 'great' better half's assistance).

SharuLady

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have an unknown powder measure stand that is just a piece of 3/8"x 1 1/2"x12" bent into a "Z" shape. One "foot" has 2, 5/16" holes for mounting and the other has a 15/16" hole for mounting a powder measure. Very solid, won't flex and is high enough to run a reloading block w/cases underneath. I mounted it on the corner of my "scale table" (a heavy table 8" high and about 12"x20" that I place my scale on to have it closer to eye level).
    Hi Mdi, That sounds like a great solid, unflexing but yet high enough like your powder scale being eye level.

Your mention of your "scale table" caught my eye as well. That is something I wish to have as well. It would definitely be beneficial to make it easier to read.
    Do you have a pic of your stand and of the "scale table"?

Ty for your reply,

SharuLady

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    That sounds like what I have. Mine came with Pacific powder measures that I have had for many years.

I pounded mine back flat and just C clamp the end to the reloading table and mount the powder measure to the other end. Not fancy but works like a charm.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

My measure stand which I used with my Lyman 55 is just a price of 1” strap bent in kinds a S with 2 holes for screws on one end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

There at many great ideas here. One thought: Having used both threaded and unthreaded powder measure stands, I have a strong preference for unthreaded. That might sound counterintuitive, but it is vastly better for me.

With an unthreaded stand, I secure the powder measure with a lock ring hand tightened from below. The lock ring spins off quickly so that the powder measure can be conveniently lifted out and unused powder can be poured into the canister. Some of us also have multiple powder meters, and that makes it far more convenient to swap them.

A threaded unit takes far longer to remove the powder meter for emptying powder or switching units. No going back to threads for me.

I’ll take a picture of mine when I get home. Mine is similar to the ones described by Hardcasttaylor416. RCBS sent me the flat bracket for free and the rest is made of galvanized pipe and fittings from the hardware store. Only tools required was a screwdriver to mount the base to the bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast