Thread: Powder Measure stands

I just found this stand on EBay:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJEcFEiksFGmQBRK4Put)u!__60_57.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	221024

This would solve multiple PM placement on my bench
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I tapped the strap 7/8 and used the jam nut to lock it. The strap was bent with brute force (before I had a bender) and welded to 2 stacked pieces of 1/4" plate. This stand was one of the few things that was fireproof. After and before. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loadbench05.jpg   pmeasure.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Here’s a picture of one I made.

Name:	B052149C-D330-491F-9D4D-11D7BBC68534.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	221093

Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    I just found this stand on EBay:

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJEcFEiksFGmQBRK4Put)u!__60_57.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	221024

This would solve multiple PM placement on my bench
    Hi daboone, I like the look of this stand, but... it would be really cool if the stand would rotate (possibly with a way to lock the position) so it wouldn't create a possible problem with different Powders or one could just leave the other 2 measures empty (That is probably the safest way). Also, if it is high enough to get a loading block under & to be able to not have to bolt it down to the bench so it can be moved.

Oh well, I guess one cannot have everything, or can they?

SharuLady

Hi Mal Paso, This is a very nice stand as well! Ty for sharing!

There has been so many great ideas from all & that is awesome!

SharuLady

Quote Originally Posted by SharuLady View Post
    Hi daboone, I like the look of this stand, but... it would be really cool if the Shane would rotate (possibly with a way to lock the position) so it wouldn't create a possible problem with different Powders or one could just leave the other 2 measures empty (That is probably the safest way). Also, if it is high enough to get a loading block under & to be able to not have to bolt it down to the bench so it can be moved.

SharuLady
    I've ordered one so I will find out. I know the top part does rotate (lazy susan). I hope it can be modified to lock the preferred PM in place otherwise it will get returned.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

I use the flat bracket that came with the RCBS powder dropper. Just goes under the seating die.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I use the flat bracket that came with the RCBS powder dropper. Just goes under the seating die.
    That's cheating! Did you read the directions or something?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I got the carousel PM stand pictured in # 21 and 24 above. It's not a stable platform even if it was bolted down to the bench. Also there is no way to lock the carousel from turning. Great Idea but sadly this isn't what I hope. Waste of $$.

Maybe, hopefully someone here will build one worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    I got the carousel PM stand pictured in # 21 and 24 above. It's not a stable platform even if it was bolted down to the bench. Also there is no way to lock the carousel from turning. Great Idea but sadly this isn't what I hope. Waste of $$.

Maybe, hopefully someone here will build one worth the money.
    Hi, Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. It looked like a good idea but one never knows until in your possession and check it out.

SharuLady

In Remembrance

In my humble opinion, the stands take up too much real estate on my bench. The powder measures screw right into the reloading press. You will have the dies out of the press when you get done full length sizing. Perfect time to install the powder measures. Save your money, and skip the stands...

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Real estate is the reason a PM stand supporting 4 or 5 PMs appeals to me. Safe storage space is also a premium in my reloading room. Not one of my measures is suitable for every type of powder used. Thus the need for multiple PMs.

Boolit Grand Master

A good stand can be very usefull. built with some fore thought it can be very versatile also. The copper tubing is a good idea and instead of an elbow on top use a tee with the top half cut off. remove the stops with a dremil tool and epoxy a long nut in the stand pipe. you can now make mounts with a mount on each end and a hole in the center bolt into the half mount with a thumb screw. a piece of dowel where the hole is will stop the tube from crushing also.

Another thing to keep in mind is the powder measures operation. RCBS Lyman and many others are rotary meaning an up and down stroke. Belding and Mull, qientics and some others are a sliding measure meaning side to side or front to back operation.

A stand with the flange on top would allow for 1-4 pins to locate rotation and a center screw to lock. I top plate of 1" X8" hard wood square could then be used for the measures mount and cut down as desired for weight.

Boolit Grand Master

Another trick I have used making wood stands this would work for using copper tubing also. Pick up a couple 7/8" 14 bolts and washers. Coat these heavily with paste wax. insert and center in holes. mix up some JB weld epoxy and work into the gaps and let cure. you have nice threads that are stronger than the wood cut ones and easier to do. Also saves the price of a big tap.

Boolit Master

My flat bar is screwed down onto a shelf over my bench. The RCBS stand I have could have a little more height but useable as is. However I rasped/filed the threads out of it. Both measures secured with lock rings making them both solid and easily removed to dump out the powder.

BTW, nice to have a lady on board the forum!!!
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12