RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 mag pistol groups

Boolit Master

My Ruger SBH 7 1/2" likes H110 / 296 but my hands do not so i stick with 2400 Unique and Blue Dot for mid range shooting
    sometimes for real light loads Red Dot
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED FROM THE GUYS IN THE REVOLVER FORUM IS THAT YOUR HOLD IS EVERYTHING. AFTER LISTENING TO THEM, I CAN USUALLY HIT A DOG FOOD CAN AT 25 YARDS,FROM A STANDING POSITION, NOT A BENCH, USING A 275GR KEITH FROM NOE, AND W-296. MAKE SURE TO HAVE THE CORRECT HOLD, AND THEN MAKE SURE THAT YOU HOLD IT THE SAME EVERY TIME. ALSO, IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO GET IT, BUT SHOOTING FROM A BENCH, AND SHOOTING OFFHAND IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. SO IF YOU SIGHT IT IN ON THE BENCH, IT WILL SHOOT TO A DIFFERENT POINT OFF HAND. I HAVE FOUND ITS A LOT LIKE ARCHERY, FORM FIRST, AND THEN JUST PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! IF I DID IT YOU CAN TOO! PS- sorry for the caps lock, I didn't loo up while I was typing! lol go talk to the guys in the revolver forum, they helped me a ton! (try searching for my posts, then look for my questions about accuracy and such)
    Four words encompass 90% of pistol shooting: Front Sight And Squeeze. Focus on the front sight, and I mean CONCENTRATE on the front sight - notice how sharp the upper left-hand corner of the front sight is! Concentrate - and Squeeze...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I am new to revolvers, and feel my hold is just some adaptation from shooting autos. Do you have any good reading on revolver hold types/theories? Sorry for the hyjack.
    One thing to remember re grip - the grip should be fore & aft, not a circular squeeze. Finger tips should be loose, even floppy...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

5 - 5 1/2gr Bullseye with a 250ish boolit works good for a light load for me
    Last edited by reloader28; 05-22-2018 at 09:09 AM.

6.5 of red dot with a Keith boolit has been accurate in some of my .44s.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

7 gr 231 with 255 cast 429421 Keith work great for me. AA9 for heavier loads.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Hard to beat clays for plinking loads in the 44mag. 6.0gr to 6.5gr of clays and bullets in the 200gr to 250gr range do extremely well.

Mihec 245gr hp's & 6.0gr of clays
    [IMG][/IMG]

h&g #142 gc'd 220gr swc/200gr hpswc doesn't matter both bullets combined with 6.5gr of clays
    [IMG][/IMG]

lyman 429303 200gr sp with gc & 6.5gr of clays
    [IMG][/IMG]

Cramer 200gr wc & 6.0gr of clays
    [IMG][/IMG]

You might consider picking up a # of clays. I burn a little clays myself
    [IMG][/IMG]

6.5gr to 7.0gr of trailboss will also shoot bugholes @ 25yds in the 44mag with bullets in the 200gr to 250gr range.

Just another opinion:
    What someone can or can't do offhand @ 25yds doesn't mean a lot if they have never shot nra bullseye. You'd be better off starting @ 7yds and putting 1/2" pasters/dots on blank paper and practice hitting the dots. When you can consistently hit that 1/2" dot @ 7yds, move back to the 50ft line and work on 1 1/2" circles. When you can consistently hit a 1 1/2" circle @ 50ft you will be doing extremely well considering your using a "field grade firearm". While 1 1/2"'s @ 50ft doesn't sound like much, most of the nra shooters that spend decades honing their shooting skills end up with an expert rating.

Anyway you could just as easily start on the 50yd line as the 7yd line. A hit is a hit and a miss is a miss. The 7yd line takes the load out of play and shows instant results without breaking your position or having to use a spotting scope.

Outback, just a side note, if you are shooting off of your rifle rest and it has a canvas or leather bag, get a piece of leather to cover the bag. I split a front bag one time with a 44 from the cylinder blast. It will damage it over time for sure. I cut mine from an old welding jacket.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Some guns will shoot better than others, when shot by the same guy on the same day with the same loads, so there's no real answer to the original question here. Also, with the .44, there's a heaping helping of recoil, and no two people handle recoil exactly the same. Main thing when trying to get your best accuracy is to try enough loads to get one where you're satisfied, and then, just keep shooting it until the recoil isn't something that crosses your mind, and your groups should tighten up considerably. If using a single action pistol, that long, arcing hammer fall means you have to have a good follow through as well. It takes enough time for that hammer to fall that ANY flinch or inconsistency at all can move your barrel enough to widen groups considerably. One has to keep the gun stock dead still during the hammer fall, to get really consistent groups, and this is doubly true with single actions.

That should be good news to you! Just another excuse to shoot more!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outback32 View Post
    hey guys I'm curious to what you consider good groups from a 44 mag pistol. with lead and shooting off hand. I'm loading the Lee 240 gn swc in a 7inch ruger sbh hunter. I've loaded 9.0 gns universal and 9.2 gn of unique. interested to see what you guys consider good groups. thanks
    In fhe original post the poster said offhand.
    Please dont take in in a trolling or baiting way but you will find very few people that can shoot 3 inch and under groups consistantly off hand at 25 yard. I am not talking about the once in a while 3 inch or under group I am talking about doing it far, far more than not.
    After watching many people shoot over the years and seeing great evidence of what I speak of I have come to that conclusion based on actual observation and not Hearsay.
    Take what I have said as you will. It is based, as I said, on actual observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Outback32 View Post
    well my results were terrible in my opinion. with both unique and universal powders. both are barely in a pie plate. could it be gun or powder
    If a lead bullet wont shoot with unique, it wont shoot imo. Sub 2" offhand groups at 25y would be my goal. Of course the shooter needs to be up to it. Most of my 44mags will do that. My RBH with 2x scope will do 3" @ 100y from a rest. Plenty good for hunting out to about 125y or so.
    Accuracy statrs with a good bullet. For lead, fit is king. Check the cyl throats, you do not want them smaller than bore/bullet dia.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I've decided. There is only one thing better than shooting rock-chucks at 60-100 yards with a 44 mag.

Getting PAID ! to shoot rock-chucks at 60-100 yards with a 44 mag. Boss says I can shoot all the rock-chucks I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Shooting off hand is a real show stopper for most. At 25 yards the bullet and load are not going to be the deal maker, it's going to be your shooting ability. More so beyond that distance. Most loads will shoot "OK" at 25 yards and then fall apart from there. The vast majority of shooters cannot shoot 2" groups off hand at 25 yards with any handgun or any load. You need to separate the concept of accuracy shooting a handgun from the load you're using. Good shots and good loads go together. The best loads in unskilled hands won't give you good accuracy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're not already a good handgun shot just finding the "right load" won't make you one. Develop your load shooting off a rest and then load that load and shoot a lot off hand to become a good off hand shooter. A really good handgun shot can shoot five shots into 3"off hand at fifty yards with the right handgun and load. That's with years of dedication to becoming a good shot.
    This is exactly what you should be doing!

You can't develop a load and actually accomplish anything useful without shooting off a rest first. Once you've got a load that shoots well of a rest, then go shoot it offhand and have fun. That way you aren't worried about whether or not your load is performing, you only have to worry about how you are performing.

That is the way most of us do it anyways.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This is exactly what you should be doing!

You can't develop a load and actually accomplish anything useful without shooting off a rest first. Once you've got a load that shoots well of a rest, then go shoot it offhand and have fun. That way you aren't worried about whether or not your load is performing, you only have to worry about how you are performing.

That is the way most of us do it anyways.

Randy
    Again I dont mean to offend or to disrespect you or anyone else on this great site with my answer.
    But I will say this. At the club I belong to is two 50 yard slowfire target shot by Hershel Anderson in 1975. The range used to host the military matches in a June military NRA bullseye match. Bonnie Harman and some other of the nations Best bullyeye shooters for the Navy, Marines, Air Force and Army shot on that range.
    Those Anderson targets are a 200 point total for the two target with ten shots per target.
    The 10 rings are 3.375 inch in diameter. That was the first time it was done. Not done again in the years that the military matches were held.
    If it is so easily done why dont more do it. Ive seen my ex shooting buddy shoot a few 99's in practice but he was a master class bullseye shooter.
    Shooting 3 inch or less at 25 yards is pretty difficult consistantly much less 50 yards.
    Most people are only fair shots with a handgun overall. Sure there are some, very few, that are really good consistantly but not many.
    Again I mean no disrespect or offense to anyone on this great site in any way. Just trying to keep everything grounded in reality.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 05-26-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12