RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went shooting today

Boolit Master

Went shooting today

Went shooting today my S&W model 10 and 64 38 special police trade in. The trigger in single or double is super smooth and slick and fairly light.Just wondering if any body has had a double tap. Shoot once and the recoil lets it shoots again without really pulling the trigger. I know the recoil is light but it has happened two times or so. I asked a retired cop I know that started out on s &w revolvers about it and he said it has happened to him also. The loads where not that hot thanks

Nope, never had it happen in roughly 100,000+ rounds through revolvers while rangemaster, competing in PPC matches, qualifying or carrying on duty. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's never happened to me, and some of my revolvers have pretty good (and expensive) action jobs on them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I had it happen once when I had my S&W model 19-4. Prior to that I never thought it was possible with a revolver. Surprise!.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have never heard of this or experienced it. I wasn't aware it was even possible.
    It sounds like the cylinder isn't locking up properly.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have never heard of it either nor ever experienced it and I've put thousands of rounds though Smiths. I'm with taxman - I'd be having the revolver checked out for possible issues with lock up. You're shooting a 38 special which is a very manageable recoil - I'm a bit confused as if you pull the trigger in either SA or DA, the trigger still has to go forwards to re-set and then advance the cylinder to the next chamber and the hammer drop to discharge. You say your triggers are super smooth, just how much has been done to the revolver to make it so smooth?

I had a Bersa 380 CC once that I bought used that the previous owner had "slicked up" and the first time I took it out, after firing the first round in DA, I experienced double taps as the SA had been made so light I considered it dangerous - especially for a carry gun.

I'm not saying it didn[t happen - we can all learn new things everyday and I'd be interested in hearing from others that may have experienced what you did and the reasons for it. I have a number of Smith K frames and you've got me kind of scratching my head how it is mechanically possible for it to occur on a SA/DA revolver.

Boolit Master
    Has not happened on my 10-8. I didn't think this was possible. Looks like I have learned my new thing for the day.

Boolit Master

The only time I have ever heard of this is when a primer gets pierced and the escaping gases re-cock the hammer and it acts like a semi auto.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I own 9 S & W DA Revolvers. All are pre-1980 guns. I have put more rounds down range through them and 5 COLT DA Revolvers in the past 60+ years. Never have I had a revolver of ANY KIND "DOUBLE" on me.

Only time I've heard of anything like this is an OLD Luger or G.I. 1911 with a very worn sear.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    A double on a DA Revolver? Never heard of it, or experienced such a thing. I can't see how it is even possible.

I have a bucket full of S&Ws, from 22/32 HFT through 25s & 29s. All my keepers have trigger jobs
    and I never had a double tap in 50+ yrs of shooting. This includes any DA revolver that I have
    owned, which is in the hundreds. I have had old High Standard & Colt 22 semis double tap and
    a Win 1400 shotgun that would go full auto, lucky it was 3 shot model.

Boolit Master
    The model 64 has only did it in da shooting. It has happened twice in about 5000 rounds. I only thaught it could happen with only very stout loads in magnum revolvers from what I hear. The loads where factory Remington 158 gr copper jacket rnfp. They where hotter than my loads but not magnum hot. The gun locks up tight and is shooting great. It was hot yesterday at the range very hot around 98 in the shade. if I rember the last time I had this happen it was also very hot and happened after being out at the range a few hours. This happened boath times about the time I was getting ready to leave after being out in the heat for about two or more hours. Just wondering if the heat is making me pull the trigger unconsciously. I can’t hardly handle the heat any more since I had my heart attack. Just a thaught. The guy I know that retired from the police force said it has happened a few times on him in double action shooting the 38 fast like in qualifying.it just thaught it was weird to have happen. I remember pulling the trigger once and it shoots two rounds fast like semi auto. The gun looks and feels locks up tight so could it be me just getting to hot? Full sun no shade around the benches. I was working outside all day in the sun working on my rider and had to quit because I got to hot. Years ago when younger I worked in the heat all day no problem. I came inside cooled off and felt fine about two hours then went to the range.

Boolit Master
    I had a customer back in the days when I worked at a gun shop who had this happen with a model 29. I thought he was joking till I saw it happen to him on the range. He asked me to send it back to smith and get it fixed so I did and got a very enlightening phone call from smith & wesson's repair department. It seams when a revolver double taps its not the revolver but actually the shooter. It mainly happens with the heaver magnums but they have seen it with just about all of them. Its caused by a involuntary flinch where the shooter squeezes the trigger a second time but does it so fast they didn't realize they have done it. There's nothing wrong with the revolver at all. I hope this solves the problem.

Boolit Master
    Many a thousand rounds through S&W Model 66 and 686. Hundreds of thousands of rounds on a 120 ofc. police department with similar S&W 19's and 66's and never saw or heard of it happening to one of them.

Boolit Master
    That’s what I was thanking also. It was very hot got to the point of feeling sick. It shot two rounds as fast or faster than you could with a semi auto. When I got to the range no body was there. By the time I was getting ready to leave I had shooters on boath sides shooting very loud guns causing me to flinch.

Boolit Master
    As I stated before, and have most of the rest, I'd never had it happen before, but it did that day. Let me also state that after my chemotherapy my fingers are pretty numb, tingly feeling like my hand is asleep. I believe that is a leading factor as to why it happened to me. The good part is that both shots were touching.....

The man that sold me the revolver came by and asked if I'd sell it back to him. I did so, and bought a CZ 75 SP01 to replace it with....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I have noticed after my heart attack or being diagnosed with diabetes that my fingers go numb sometimes. It sucks getting old. I can be holding sompthing in my hand and I just drop it can’t really feel sometimes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had it happen a couple of times with a very slicked up Model 66 and a weak wrist and a limp trigger finger that allowed it to bounce and give a double tap. At least that was the only way I could figure out what was going on... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    i have had it happen. What occurs is that you have your finger on the trigger and squeeze off the 2nd round inadvertently as you respond to recoil. It is especially easy to do with a heavy kicking gun, or one with a light trigger when hurrying. First time it happened to me, it was in a match where I double tapped a metal hanger during a walk-up, man against man, shoot off. I did my best to convey the notion that I meant to do that. But I didn't.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

After all the descriptions, I can see how it would happen. I am glad it hasn't happened to me yet. I would be concerned.

Boolit Master

. ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast