Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's that time of year again

Boolit Master

It's that time of year again

Just killed my second snake of the week. Probably a 4 foot rat snake that decided it wanted in our birdhouse and took up shop about a foot from our front door. It's gonna be a long summer.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen any snakes yet. And I've been looking. Maybe it's the severe drought we are under. Gopher snakes are common here, with the usual Diamondback rattlers.

Boolit Master

Yep. Mowed my yard yesterday and stumbled across two big garter snakes. Scare the heck out of me every time even though they are harmless and good for the environment. Had a rattlesnake show up at the local movie theater entrance last week. Those are super rare up here.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Make that 3. Son of a gun was on the awning over our front door, and man was he a mean one! Another rat snake after our birds.

I'm fine with Garter snakes. We rarely see them, and they don't do any harm. These rat snakes look a little too much like water moccasins (we have plenty of those), and like to get a little too close to our house for my liking though. Dang things used to give us hell when we had chickens too. I haven't seen a rattler this year (knock on wood), but they're common.

Moderator Emeritus

Big bullsnake living out back by the field. Since he moved in my gopher population has been almost nil. Saw a half dozen garter snakes with a 3' one living next to my front door in a hole by the foundation. Hisses at you LOL

My Jack Russells got 2 garters this weekend, both in a small fenced in yard. I saw the 2nd snake before the terriers but they are a bit quicker than me. They love to play snake tug of war but I don't think the serpants enjoy the dog's game very much.

BB

I haven't seen my neighborhood rat snake for several years, but that isn't what I am most interested in I haven't seen any copperheads in nearly a decade, I used to have a cat that considered them the "perfect" chew toy. but that cat lost an argument with a car before someone says I shouldn't let my cat outdoors, He was a "volunteer cat" and "Let" him out was not the issue Keeping him in against his WILL was.

Boolit Master
    I see snakes, I just don't tell my wife about them! Generally, I just don't kill snakes.

6' blue racer around the garden. Snakes have nothing to fear here.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I saw a few in benbrook while I was fishing last week, its already gettin' hot out there yall.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    We could use a few snakes this year, gophers are the worst I've ever seen. I wouldn't turn away a rattler this year. Fortunately a juvenile Redtail Hawk has been hanging out and what gophers are left are keeping their heads down.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

3' garter snake by the front door wasn't happy today. I ran the garden hose past his den and he struck at me LOL I slapped him on the head and he backed off... I don't want to kill him. To many mice around here!

seems like garter snakes are welcome and handy ,good pest controllers .

is there any of you guys who eat them from time to time?

my buddy living in texas is affirmative that he don't back off from sliced and fried rattle snakes!!!

is this legend,or is it true?

My six foot black runner/rat snake was in our backyard about a week ago, I moved him out a bit, see him once in a while. Missed getting a rattler about a foot long last week, couldn't get the tractor stopped /turned around fast enough and he went through fence and escaped. Killed his brother near my front door a month ago.... Yep they are out

Boolit Master

I was fishing at the pond next to the gun clubs backstop ( Where 50% of the dirt came from ) and I saw 5 Black Water snakes on the rocks
    With several Fox and Garter snakes in the weeds behind the 100 yard backstop
    I am NOW 100% sure winter is over LOL

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I had to corral a 3' Black snake here the other day. I was mowing and must have disturbed him as he came out of the bushes and was heading for the house. (I've found 2 of his cousins in the house and don't want any more in there, thank you very much). I gently persuaded him to go to the woods and away from the house. He went to the woods and I went back to mowing, neither one the worse for wear.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    seems like garter snakes are welcome and handy ,good pest controllers .

is there any of you guys who eat them from time to time?

my buddy living in texas is affirmative that he don't back off from sliced and fried rattle snakes!!!

is this legend,or is it true?
    Never had any myself but yes, people do eat rattler. I heard it tastes a bit like chicken. I wouldn't shy away from it either. Weird things can taste very good. I've had frog legs, crawfish, gator tail, and squirrel. All were good enough I'd eat them again if given the chance.

Crawfish Étouffée over fried catfish is a special kind of heaven.

Moderator Emeritus

Rattler is okay to eat... kind of a dry fishy chicken flavor...

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    Never had any myself but yes, people do eat rattler. I heard it tastes a bit like chicken. I wouldn't shy away from it either. Weird things can taste very good. I've had frog legs, crawfish, gator tail, and squirrel. All were good enough I'd eat them again if given the chance.

Crawfish Étouffée over fried catfish is a special kind of heaven.
    ah! thanks for the first hand info. exactly what i've been told.taste a little like chicken.i'd try,seems like any meat after all; it's all kasher to me

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Rattler is okay to eat... kind of a dry fishy chicken flavor...
    Exactly. Tastes a lot like wild pheasant.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast