Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's that time of year again

Boolit Master
    Got another one today while mowing. Some kind of black snake. Very similar to a rat snake, but the back was almost pure black and the white belly had more markings on it. Wasn't a cottonmouth, but at a glance it sure looked like one.

Moderator Emeritus

As I mowed last night I saw 2 huge bull snakes out back. Big enough to leave a wake as they went through the tall grass... saw them as they hit the clear spot inside my wild patch I can't mow.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Mower got a copperhead Saturday so they are out here..

Rattler is kinda stringy as I recall and not much meat on the prairie rattlers in NE Colorado. I'll tell you once was enough for me unless it was all I could get. I think I'd go for a bowl of sage brush first.

Boolit Master
    The last rattler I ate was bony, tough and stringy... I probably needed to find someone who really knows how to prepare one....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    The last rattler I ate was bony, tough and stringy... I probably needed to find someone who really knows how to prepare one....
    haven't been introduced to the meat myself yet (while it,s definitely on my list when i'll visit my buddy in el paso) , but seems like sliced thin and rolled in seasonned breading then fried gives a tender treat. also,seems like a cold one is the side order by excellence. i guess the snack itself is a part of a folkloric things of the mid west?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    seems like garter snakes are welcome and handy ,good pest controllers .

is there any of you guys who eat them from time to time?

my buddy living in texas is affirmative that he don't back off from sliced and fried rattle snakes!!!

is this legend,or is it true?
    Quite good but easy to overcook. A bigger snake makes better eating because smaller portions will be overcooked before the crust browns.

I don't much care for rat snakes but have a little one (less than 3') under the back porch. I had a big cranky one in my warehouse at work over ten years ago. Didn't have much trouble with salesmen or rodents for a week or so.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    haven't been introduced to the meat myself yet (while it,s definitely on my list when i'll visit my buddy in el paso) , but seems like sliced thin and rolled in seasonned breading then fried gives a tender treat. also,seems like a cold one is the side order by excellence. i guess the snack itself is a part of a folkloric things of the mid west?
    You're making me hungry enough to go out back and start overturning stuff just so I can try that...

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    You're making me hungry enough to go out back and start overturning stuff just so I can try that...
    LOL!!!!!...you guys are quite willing to....... . i can't picture myself living with rattlers around.i think i would wear cow boy boots year round in fear of getting bitten . rattle snakes bites gives you a nice fever , strong flue alike symptoms i heard ; i'd prefer to kill them and eat them if it happens,but i for sure wouldn't run after them in the field. while they are good critter hunters,so it keeps the household free of those, but i bet that seeing some specimens electing your yard as house isn't really fun especially if you have young kids ....but i know we humans ,we're quite adaptable and flexible as the environnement we live in . we cope with what we have to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12