WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationGraf & Sons
Lee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2

Thread: .357 mag '92 Rossi, velocity data

.357 mag '92 Rossi, velocity data

I shot a few different loads over the chronograph today.

19.8gr 300-MP, WSPM primer, Lee 358-125-rf coated with VHT epoxy
    Avg. 2146fps
    Ex. spread 109fps
    Shots fired 15
    No leading, outside of cases were sooty

20.3gr 300-MP, WSPM primer, Lee 358-125-rf coated with VHT epoxy
    Avg 2178
    Ex. spread 31
    Shots fired 5
    No leading, outside of cases were sooty

21.0gr. 300-MP, WSPM primer, Lee 358-125-rf Harbor Freight red
    Avg 2264
    Ex. spread 39
    Shots fired 8
    Bad leading in bore,

I will have to investigate that 20.3 grain load a little more. I don't know if the extreme spread is just so tight because I only fired 5 shots over the chrono, well, that the chrono picked up. If I throw out the high and low velocities of the 19.8 grain load I get an extreme spread of 47fps.

Thank you
    Good info. I would love to see some 158 grain data

I have the Lee 358-158-rf mold and I do intend to see how it does. I am new to this powder coating epoxy coating thing. I am impressed. The lead alloy is just wheelweights. When I baked them, I turned the oven off and let them cool with the door closed so they should be as soft as wheel weights will get.

Boolit Master
    I thank you for posting your results and look forward to more. I too have a rossi in 357. I have had good luck with everything I have put down the tube. I will say that with everything going on in my life at the moment I am not a the point I once was with reloading and shooting. In the coming years I plan on getting back to the details and the bench more. This is the kinda info I will be looking more into then just down a barrel to clean it and if I hit a steel plate. Thanks again for posting and keep it coming.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Please include accuracy data next time as well. I've had two .357s and one 44-40 Rossi and they were pleasingly accurate.

Texas,

Unfortunately my range set-up is not perfect for chronograph work. If I shoot from a bench at paper, the chronograph is underneath tree branches which screws things up. So to chronograph, I have to move out in the open so the best target I get is one of those self-sealing contraptions suspended from a chain. That was about 50 yards away and took me a few shots to figure out the sight picture, then I was making that thing dance with regularity using the 19.8gr. charge. With the 20.3gr. charge it seemed like a just got it figured out when I ran out of ammo, but it did dance a couple times. The 21.0gr. charge never hit the target. The target is orange and about 4-5" wide. I was in the kneeling position.

I think it helps to do the chronograph work first. Especially with cast boolits since I could probably use better Q/A-Q/C in my casting. The chronograph tells me if the powder is operating efficiently. The paper just tells me something is going wrong (or right perhaps), but not whether those fliers were bad boolits, bad lubes, or powder charge not running right. For example, my first run with Alliant's 300-MP was using a Rem standard pistol primer. The velocities were all over the place - like a 200+fps spread. So 300-MP does much better with mag primers.

The max charge for the 300-MP and a 125 grain bullet is 22.3 grains. I get bad leading at 21.0 grains. No need to climb the ladder any further (not to mention 2100+ fps is dang good for a plain base cast).
    I'll be back with some accuracy data.