Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: straight wall cartridge for deer hunt

Boolit Master

straight wall cartridge for deer hunt

Are the states that had straight wall cartridge regs for deer still sticking to that law? I ask as I have a 35 caliber barrel I want to use up and was planning to go 35 remington until the thought of having at least one legal gun for those states, just in case!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    That must be a calibre less used in straight cases than just about any other. It is very rare for anyone to actually need a wildcat cartridge, but there is a little-known .35/.30-30 Winchester that is about as practical as I can think of, for woodland deer shooting.

Boolit Master
    Michigan is still straight walled cases at least 35 cal. and case no more than 1.8" long in restricted deer hunting zones.
    I am quite sure the CO's would not be amused to find you hunting with a 35 Rem for deer. You would be free to use it for ground hogs and predators though.
    I never said our game laws made any sense.

Boolit Master
    ^^^^ Don't forget squirrels aand rabbits in Michigan

Boolit Master
    Wife's cousin loved to shoot ground hog with a Ruger No. 1 in 25/06. Just couldn't use it Nov 15-30. Family farm is about 25 miles south of Flint. Jerry used a muzzle loaded for his deer hunting. His grand sons couldn't wait for November so they got several with bow and arrows, every year.

Boolit Master
    Ok so mich is still in the dark ages on ballistics. Well, I half feel like chambering this rifle barrel in 357 magnum just in case I get invited to mich! I would kinda like to see what can happen in a 22inch barrel. After that I can go 35 remington and if that wears off we can do 358 win. I like options!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Go 357 Maximum and load it to 223/556 pressures. That puts it in factory load range of the 35Rem. Michigan limited zone legal.

Boolit Master

I vote for .357 Max. also!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I have been rolling around the idea of a .223 blown out straight, should be about 35 cal. I am sure someone has done this already though. It would be usable in all .223 platforms which makes it an ideal wild cat for Michigan deer.

Boolit Master

In Illinois we have to use a straight walled case too I use a Encore pistol in 454 to hunt deer we can't
    Use rifles only shotguns or muzzle loaders
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I am a big fan of the 357 max in a carbine. Been using one for the past few years in Indiana. Cast or j words they take a deer down quite well. Lots of fun loading too. Lots of options to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I have been rolling around the idea of a .223 blown out straight, should be about 35 cal. I am sure someone has done this already though. It would be usable in all .223 platforms which makes it an ideal wild cat for Michigan deer.
    Google 357AR, there's a thread on here about my son's rifle from a couple years back http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Rimless)-AR15 Made the first one a couple years before they changed the regulations here in MI and hunted with a pistol chambered in it the season prior. First year for the new regs I got a buck that year with my 357AR rifle. Starline has straight walled 223 cases that are 1.8" ish +- about .020" that make case forming very easy.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 05-20-2018 at 07:27 PM.

I believe Ohio will stay with there current strait walled deer gun laws now that it mirrors there handgun caliber choices, Any centerfire cartridge between .357 and 50 cal. as long as it has a strait walled case.
    We have no case length restrictions so just about everything between the 38 S&W to the 50-140 plus all wildcats that fit those limits are legal deer calibers.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Belm calls it the 357 Max rimless.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I did a little searching on this in the archives, and it seems to have been done. The stumbling block is trimming the brass to headspace on the case mouth, but it works with the .30 carbine, so why not with the 223-357.

Boolit Master
    It's hard to beat the 357 Max for versatility. You can load it up for a light bear rifle with the 204 gr RFGC. Load it moderate with the Keith 173 gr SWC for deer out to 150 yards (MV about 1400 fps). Back way off with a 125 gr RF at 1300 fps for fun and small game. You can even use 357 mag. brass. All have shot well in my 357 max carbine.

Boolit Master

AR barrels are available. The 357AR (357 Max length case, requires magazine "adjustment") is in what I would call limited production. I am looking seriously at buying one. Check out:

https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/?forum=645266.

A shorter case version to fit unmodified existing magazines has been tried by some. One is the "357 mini-mole" discussed at:

https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/...pid=1304276200

On a number of occasions, I have promoted the advantages of the DW 360 length. It has advantages in both rimmed and rimless versions. In a suitable break open long gun, the rimmed version will come real close to standard 357 max performance and will shoobetter with long seated loads in 357 mag case than a max. In rimmless guns, making the brass from 5.56 is much easier than max and again the performance will come real close to standard 357 max.

Boolit Master
    Another for Max.

Although 45 LC and the Hornady 250 grs FTX in a rifle that will handle Ruger loads would be my straight wall choice.

Boolit Master

I have a 50-70 Govt Trapdoor Springfield set aside for this fall's deer hunting in Indiana. Should make a good enough hole in a deer if I should see one within 100 yards or so for accuracy sake.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    In Illinois we have to use a straight walled case too I use a Encore pistol in 454 to hunt deer we can't
    Use rifles only shotguns or muzzle loaders
    This is not quite true, 300 BLK and 30 Bellm are legal pistol cartridges and have used both to harvest deer here is So. Ill.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast