RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Tek Aqualube 5000 question

Boolit Master

Hi-Tek Aqualube 5000 question

I must be the dumbest person on here. I've been Hi-Teking boolits for about a year, and just running them thru the sizer with no lube. I thought the coating was the lube? The sizer does mar the finish on the boolit but they still shoot well and don't lead that I can tell. Am I supposed to be lubing them before sizing? I didn't even notice the lube for sale on the site when I bought my only (so far) container of powder.

Boolit Buddy
    If your coating is applied correctly you shouldn’t necessarily need lube to size them BUT sizing with lube is much easier on your bullet, your sizer and your shoulder. I switched to Aqualube a while back... great lube for sizing. Get some.

Boolit Master

I'm about to order some!

Boolit Buddy
    I just lubed my last batch of PC'd boolits what a difference ,smooth as Tennessee whisky, I just hit them with a light spray of Dillon case lube . They were a little stiff going through the die @ .453 down to .451

CC

Boolit Master

Ordered 2 bottles. Was hard to tell how big one was. also figured shipping would be about the same. Guess if I don't like it, I'll use it on my hair till it's gone This stuff is specially formulated for hi-tek boolits-says so right on the site! I hope it's not like the "primer sealant" that I bought years ago that turned out to be 9.95 for a bottle of clear fingernail polish that would have cost $.79 at Rexall!
    Last edited by T-Bird; 05-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    As I remember it is a small pump mist bottle that’s basically empty. When you see this it’s a bit surprising but nevertheless it’s correct; just fill the bottle to the top with 100% alcohol and give it a shake.

As always, a little goes a long way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by razorfish View Post
    As I remember it is a small pump mist bottle that’s basically empty. When you see this it’s a bit surprising but nevertheless it’s correct; just fill the bottle to the top with 100% alcohol and give it a shake.

As always, a little goes a long way.
    My experience exactly. It works quite well.

Boolit Man
    Dillon's lube is lanolin. You can buy a bottle of pure liquid lanolin and a few big bottles of 90+ percent alcohol and have a lifetime supply.

Boolit Master

I've only seen 70% and 90% in isopropyl available here. Everclear is 95% ethyl alcohol. Use either?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    I've only seen 70% and 90% in isopropyl available here. Everclear is 95% ethyl alcohol. Use either?
    You’ll find 100% denatured alcohol in most hardware stores (Lowe’s and Home Depot) in the paint department. If possible, I’d stick with that.

Boolit Master

Also you can buy HEET in an autoparts store. It's pretty much pure alcohol.

I did the HEET/lanolin mix myself and it does seem to last forever.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Thanks, I'll use the 90% isopropyl- about a buck fifty a pint from Walgreens. Thanks Donnie. I spoke with you yesterday.

Banned
    IF you don't use the Aqualube 5000 regularly you will need to clean the spray tip after each use or it will plug up on you.

Boolit Master

Good to know GRMPS, refrigerate?

Banned
    I take the spray head off the bottle stick the tube in alcohol and squirt a few times to clear the lube out of the tip, then squirt until it runs dry then replace the spray head.
    Aqualube is a good boolit sizing lubricant and was formulated to work with Hi-Tek coating so you could size between coats (with hitek coating we usually use 2-3 coats, and aqua lube doesn't interfere with the next coat of hitek adhering)
    If I'm done coating I'll just add 1.5 ounces of lanolin to a RED (has to be red) jar of heet and a couple boolits for agitators and mark the jar. I use this for case lube and sizing boolits if I'm done coating them. when my spray container runs low I just pour more out of the mix in the heet bottle.
    Last edited by Grmps; 05-12-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    the new Aqualube 3000 is being tested and, so far, works better than the 5000.
    Super slippery. no problems sizing 44 (.431 as cast) down to .427 for 44/40 rounds.
    HITEK is working on a powdered version of the lube.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    I must be the dumbest person on here. I've been Hi-Teking boolits for about a year, and just running them thru the sizer with no lube. I thought the coating was the lube? The sizer does mar the finish on the boolit but they still shoot well and don't lead that I can tell. Am I supposed to be lubing them before sizing? I didn't even notice the lube for sale on the site when I bought my only (so far) container of powder.
    T-Bird
    Nooooo, you are not dumb, the Hi-Tek Aqualube 5000 was used mainly for sizing down much larger diameters, where there is a very high load being required.
    It is also used for sizing down harder alloys which really load up equipment. This product can be used as a lube, after all coatings are done and completed. The Hi-Tek coatings, generally self lubricate adequately as is, but using the Aqualube certainly saves on arm fatigue as it allows much easier sizing with manual sizers, and works well in saving wear and tear on automated sizing machine gearboxes.
    The components for the Aqualube 5000 are no longer available so the new product called Aualube 3000 will replace it . Donnie at Hi-Performace Bullet coatings has stocks of Aqualube 5000, so first in, best dressed.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I ordered mine from Donnie

Boolit Master

Used the lube 1st time this am. Seems to work well. Preliminary results suggest that in addition to easier to size, the sizer doesn’t mar the finish on the driving bands as much

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    the new Aqualube 3000 is being tested and, so far, works better than the 5000.
    Super slippery. no problems sizing 44 (.431 as cast) down to .427 for 44/40 rounds.
    HITEK is working on a powdered version of the lube.
    When will the Aqualube 3000 be available?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast