RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hollywood Sr. Turret press variances

Hollywood Sr. Turret press variances

I have one Hollywood Sr. turret and it does not look like the one in the pic below... the shell holder area on mine is different from this one and the linkage is also different but in the front of the cross/leverage bar only. My press does not have the protrusion that the press below has where the lower white arrow is... it does have the one closer to the handle but the set-screw is different. Any ideas/help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Edited: I forgot to mention that I have the opportunity to purchase this press but do not want an aluminum one. Mine is HEAVY and I love it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollywood-question.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	210427
    Last edited by maxreloader; 12-27-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

Hollywood Sr. Turret press variances

On the Senior Turret there is a bushing in the shell holder base to allow the use of standard H style shell holders made by Hollywood, Dunbar, RCBS, Texan, CH, and probably some others. Removal of the bushing allows use of proprietary 3/4 inch shaft shell holders made by Hollywood, e.g., shot shells, 50 BMG, and other large rifle calibers.

The bushing in photo does not look like a factory one. Usually they are flush and sometimes even difficult to tell that there is even a bushing present.

Left to right, bushing, standard H shell holder, 577 rifle, 20 gauge. Behind is the Progressive loader.

As far as the the linkage strut stop bolts. Some Senior Turrets have them on both sides, and some have them on only one side, usually the right. But I have seen some with stop bolts only on the left. I have 3 Sr T’s with stops on both sides an 2 with stops on the right side only.

The same Sr T base and linkage was used for both the Shot Shell Automatics as well as the Metallic Automatics. One of my Shot Shell Autos has two stops and the other has only one. My metallic has one only and my ultra rare Progressive has two.

Senior Turret on the left has one stop, the other has two.

As Tracvision, the current owner of Hollywood Reloading Tools will tell you, Hollywood’s were manufactured by several different owners. Some put their own spin on certain aspects of the presses.

To my knowledge, the only aluminum Hollywood’s were the Turret Tool (Universal design), Super Turret, and the medium height of Seniors which are single stage presses.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 12-27-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Thank you for clearing up every one of my questions and then some LUBEDUDE!

While I was waiting on answers I was reading lots of old threads featuring yourself, kevin Rohrer?, tracvision, etc...

The member I want to contact regarding turret heads he made last logged in over a year ago... his name is MDphotographer... hopefully he is well and if anybody knows how to get in touch I would appreciate it. PM would be fine. I am looking for an extra turret head or two for my Senior.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    I haven’t spoken with MD for over a year. I will send you some contact information.

If you want to convert that press to two stops, Tracvision may have the parts. He can be contacted at: x3c.tampabay@gmail.com
    He has tons of Hollywood parts!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post

As far as the the linkage strut stop bolts. Some Senior Turrets have them on both sides, and some have them on only one side, usually the right. But I have seen some with stop bolts only on the left. I have 3 Sr T’s with stops on both sides an 2 with stops on the right side only.
    I wondered what those were. Mine is on the left and is a tall screw.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    I have no mechanical engineering background. For loading, I can’t figure what kind of forces would cause those struts to be pulled back. Now I could see some extreme cause for letting them slip forward.

Maybe when the links are placed in the shorter swaging position there is a chance for them to back out during a strange swaging situation?
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Mold
    Where can I get a standard shell holder bushing ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger541 View Post
    Where can I get a standard shell holder bushing ?
    I answered this on the other thread you posted on.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Here is a shot of my Senior Turret's base. Yet, another variation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030360.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	269156

I don't prime on mine, use the RCBS bench mounted primer. I removed the primer post and installed the brass nut, too keep the threads free of debris.

Winelover