Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: 45 A.R. shotshell

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri

45 A.R. shotshell

I tried search, nothing.............Asking anyone/everyone about using Speer 45 shot capsules in 45 Auto Rim cases. What charge and how successful were they?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    They work, but often lock up the revolver unless you enlarge flash holes to 0.10"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I'm using a modified Ruger NMBH 45 Auto cylinder; it has been relieved enough to head space the A.R. case and still be useable for 45 Auto. I'll try it with Auto case and A.R. case.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I tried search, nothing.............Asking anyone/everyone about using Speer 45 shot capsules in 45 Auto Rim cases. What charge and how successful were they?
    I have used them with varing results. I converted over to the RCBS dies and used the metal speed loaders so I could use same loads in 1911s and in 25-2s. This has really worked well with much better patterns and single process for loads.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I wonder if you could do the same thing as the 45 ACP shotshells via the RCBS die sets I have, to use in a 45AR? Have to have the right shell holder though. I don't think I have an RCBS #8 so far, could get one though. (I am SOOOO backlogged, sigh.) If you cut some rimmed brass off just shorter than Cyl. length and then use a 41 mag die to size it in front of the chamber that should do it I'd think, though?

Boolit Master

Howdy, Sheesh. A Smith 25-2 in 45 Auto Rim was my first big bore revolver, so I've been down this same road with you. I know of no other longer case with a rim as thick as the 45 AR. In a Smith, I figured I could make cylinder length Auto Rim shotshells by using the same 308 parent case used for the 45 ACP shotshells and using moon clips. The availability of the Speer 45 shot caps deflated all those ambitions.

However, if one wants to make the sturdier full length brass rounds (and I have an old set of the RCBS dies) for use in, say, a 45 ACP single action, I would try cutting up some moon clips to make single round clips.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I guess that would do it! I don't have anything revolverish in 45 anything (yet anyways) - A 308 case could be cut longer than for the 45 ACP shot shell die sets but then you'd have to use some other dies, I'd think 41 Mag maybe. Have to look at cylinder measurements really!

The 308 case cut to length and necked with 41 mag die should work. In past when Ohio was Slug
    only we were trying to come up with Super Slug guns that could pass as 410s. We experimented
    with Brit 303, 30/06, & 444 necked to 41. All fired through smooth bores, didn't work out and
    we didn't get results as good as factory 410 slugs.

Boolit Master

Better yet than cutting up moon clips, look for some of the E-clips similar to the ones Lyman uses on HP mould pins. They come in all sizes and thicknesses. Check McMaster-Carr. Those moon clips get expensive to cut up./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Howdy, Sheesh. A Smith 25-2 in 45 Auto Rim was my first big bore revolver, so I've been down this same road with you. I know of no other longer case with a rim as thick as the 45 AR. In a Smith, I figured I could make cylinder length Auto Rim shotshells by using the same 308 parent case used for the 45 ACP shotshells and using moon clips. The availability of the Speer 45 shot caps deflated all those ambitions.

However, if one wants to make the sturdier full length brass rounds (and I have an old set of the RCBS dies) for use in, say, a 45 ACP single action, I would try cutting up some moon clips to make single round clips.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....