Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: The American Sharps Shooters

Banned

The American Sharps Shooters

A great BPCR/BPTR newsletter courtesy of Mike Nesbitt (Muzzleloader Mag) - check it out!

www.BPGang.com/tass/

Boolit Master
    Thank you for this Link ! I need to take a smokeless break, and get back to black

Banned

black is good, black is yer friend and has been for hundreds of years before that white devil dust showed up

Bob.

Mike does a very good job writing his articles and he is a very fine person to spent time with. This is one he wrote of my hunt with my Wife Carolyn. I have to say, I been a hunter since age 11 when my Mother gave me my first .22 rifle to help put meat on the table, but this was my most enjoyable time spent with friends and my wife on a hunt.
    I'm not a writer and Mike and Rick did a fine job editing my scribblings.

http://www.bpgang.com/tass/The_Ameri...ers-2017-2.pdf

Banned

kurt, i read that story of yers a few dayze ago, most excellent sir!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	397 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	220685

Boolit Buddy
    Great! And I thought I had gotten past my urge to buy a Sharps.....Hmmmm 50-70 sound about right.

Banned

ya know, i been thinkin' the same thing, too, about a .50-70 .... hmmm.

Some great reading there ... many thanks for the link! If I ever quit buying old, original black powder cartridge guns MAYBE I'll get around to buying a modern Sharps replica!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Mold
    I have wanted a sharps for some years and finally got one this Christmas. Its a used C. sharps model 1863 in 45 120-3 1/4. Got some Jamison brass on line .Not cheep!!! Me and my son loaded up 20 shots with 80gr pyrodex and a 540gr bullet that I got on line . I am still looking at molds. Went to the range this past weekend set the gun up and got ready to try it out. sit down steadied and squeezed the wrong trigger!!!! I am not going to repeat what I said but every one there herd me. The next shot I did it rite and there was not much difference . ouch!! this thing lets you know what you just did. But hey I love it. 15 shots I went through that day. Got it centered at 100 yards with its windage and 8in up and down on elevation. Im new to peep sites and I think I want to change the front blade to the small circle. And next time I am not going to have just a Tshirt on . I need to find a good shoulder pad. 15 shots and the next day my shoulder is blue. I am not going to give up .this thing is fun!!!

Banned

i guess yer goal is godzilla hunting with that .45-120, eh?

you might wanna consider using real black powder, 1f or 1-1/2f, and do up a looong wad stack using .060 veggie wads and 1.8" hard felt wads in order to take up brass space for lots less of a powder column with no air space. and not so heavy a lubed bullet, go for 500 grains or less, that's at groove diameter or .001" or so above. and wear a thick shoulder pad and lace on a thick butt stock pad, too. they are purty guns, though! good luck!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lutherlewthwaite View Post
    I have wanted a sharps for some years and finally got one this Christmas. Its a used C. sharps model 1863 in 45 120-3 1/4. Got some Jamison brass on line .Not cheep!!! Me and my son loaded up 20 shots with 80gr pyrodex and a 540gr bullet that I got on line . I am still looking at molds. Went to the range this past weekend set the gun up and got ready to try it out. sit down steadied and squeezed the wrong trigger!!!! I am not going to repeat what I said but every one there herd me. The next shot I did it rite and there was not much difference . ouch!! this thing lets you know what you just did. But hey I love it. 15 shots I went through that day. Got it centered at 100 yards with its windage and 8in up and down on elevation. Im new to peep sites and I think I want to change the front blade to the small circle. And next time I am not going to have just a Tshirt on . I need to find a good shoulder pad. 15 shots and the next day my shoulder is blue. I am not going to give up .this thing is fun!!!
    You may want to explore some 1f blackpowder in that, I'm really liking the Olde Eynsford 1f in the 2 7/8 case. Those Jamison cases probably won't hold but around 115 grains maybe less. Be mindful of your fouling control. For the recoil problem, measure the butt plate, and get one of the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Going with a .45-3-1/4 sharps for the first powder rifle could develop to be a problem down the line. You already found that that long case will give you a purple shoulder with just a few rounds fired.
    The next temptation is to load it with a light load of smokeless powder to reduce the recoil..........DONT STEP INTO THAT TRAP!!.........

Boolit Buddy
    Leadpot, Great story! And a nice photo too. Congrats .
    Best, Richard

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    A great BPCR/BPTR newsletter courtesy of Mike Nesbitt (Muzzleloader Mag) - check it out!

www.BPGang.com/tass/
    rfd, thanks for the link! Very enjoyable reading.