Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Old redding scale

Boolit Grand Master

Old redding scale

I had sometime to play with an old redding, oil dampened, scale today.
    Without the oil, it was so frustrating. Takes forever for the beam to stop.
    I put some #30 oil in it, and it made a world of difference.
    Just as good as the magnetic dampened scale.
    Attachment 220675

Very good. Stay safe.

As good as any.

I prefer an old beam.

In Remembrance

After using this scale only for loading you get to the point of seeing a pattern of how the beam moves above and below the zero center mark for scaling a load before letting it settle. I grew tired of the oil wicking out of the resevoir and onto the bench is why I use my 2 Reddings without oil.Robert

Boolit Master

I have on also and it will be with me until I kick the bucket. What my son will do with it is another matter. Yes, without the oil the arm will swing a long time before yo can get an accurate measure on the charge. I have 2 oil dampened scales and I don't consider them a hinderance as some people seem to. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I use an old Herter's which looks to be a direct copy of your Redding. Like Hardcast, I use mine without the oil, preferring to see the scale swing about equally above and below the zero. That takes less time than waiting for the beam to settle, even with the oil.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Redding oil dampened scale (#1?) and it works quite well. I rarely use it anymore because I don't leave my scale/tools out when I'm through reloading and emptying and filling the reservoir can get messy (and for me often does )...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I have been using this Redding scale since the mid sixties. I leave the oil in mine but I put it in a shoe box inside a cabinet between uses to keep the dirt from accumulating.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these that I use as the measure of my measure... I compare all other scales to it.

On a recommendation from some forum or other I started using baby oil in the reservoir... don't think it made a big difference in settle time, but it doesnt seem to wick at all.

Boolit Master

Have a no-name oil dampened scale I inherited from my brother. I guided his purchases when he started reloading and taught him to use the scale. We never put oil in it. Just dip or throw a charge, hold a finger against the edge of the pan to stop the swing and slowly release it. By releasing slowly it does not swing and you can quickly tell if the charge is over or under. Standard practice is throw a light charge, stop swing, and then add powder till it is where desired. I started with an Ohaus 1010 in about 1971, and the no-name works just as well within its capacity. I use the no-name more often because it is quicker to setup.

Banned
    It's a good scale, it was, maybe still is, the standard scale all others were judged against.
    Most anyone who made reloading equipment had a version of it.

It was the first scale with this design readly available to hand loaders.

Ken

I have one exactly like the one pictured (with the brown wrinkle finish). I bought it used with a Redding powder measure with same finish in 1960 for $20.00.

It is the one that I use & my digital scale is idle (don't trust it).

Henry

I used to use the Herter's copy of that scale, same finish and everything. Didn't realize it was oil dampened until I gave up on its long swing time and bought a used Ohaus 505. I've since sent it along on a PIF to a new reloader, explaining that it is oil dampened.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Mold
    I'll chime in. Mine is a $10 gun show find that was missing the pan. I bought a pan somewhere--it was too heavy, so I ended up spending a good part of a rainy day trimming metal from the pan, reshaping and polishing it until I had the balance right. Might be poor economy in the end but I had fun and (oil dampened) it's been my go-to powder measure ever since.