MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Carl Gustav 1867 roller firing pin

Carl Gustav 1867 roller firing pin

Can someone please help me with a firing pin question on a Swedish roller.

I am considering a rifle online that is said to have the firing pin "frozen".

There seem to be different breech blocks on these rifles. The one in question has the smaller thumb spur, a screw that goes all the way through from left to right (though from the pic I cannot tell if the bottom of the screw goes completely through block).

My first though is that there could not be too much wrong with it. Maybe rusted in place, or the spring broken, or the aft end of pin mushroomed a bit and hammered/bound into the firing pin bore. What else is there?

I have never seen one of these in person, so I just do not know what could be wrong.

Am I just looking at this through rose colored glasses and about to waste my dollars, or is it likely minor and no big deal?

The rifle looks nice otherwise and mostly fits what I am looking for in a 12.7x44R roller.

Thanks, Tim.

My first thought is, if it was mine and the issue was minor and an easy fix, I would fix it before offering it up for sale. Is it a private seller? A business might just offer it up, where a private seller would be more likely to fix it first.

This is a Simpson Ltd. gun, I think they tend to just move them along as they find them.

Thank you for your input, Tim.

Boolit Master
    My suggestion would be to remove the breech block from the rifle and soak it in some sort of penetrating oil. May need to let it set for a few days. Apply some mild heat, from a heat gun not a torch, and try to get the retaining screw out. May not be as bad as you thing and may clean up.....then again the whole shootin match could be rusted together and then you have a problem.

If it is the one currently listed as sold on their site, it is a nice looking rifle. However, from the pics you can not tell if the pin is rusted in the in or our position. good luck.....and keep us posted please..

Yes Rusty, you are correct.

I have been looking at this rifle for several days and it was available earlier today, but I just now got off the phone and it is gone. I had not refreshed the screen on my computer and did not see it sold before I called.

Dang it!!! Indecision is such a burden.

Thank you for your help gentlemen.

Boolit Master
    One of the 67/89s I recently received had the firing pin stuck. It appears to me it has been dry fired a lot and possibly mushroomed the pin. I got it freed up but can't get it out without taking the breech block out. Which I will do when I get a chance. If you let the hammer all the way down it sticks again.
    I'll knock it out and stone the edges. It appears to me to still be long enough. Time will tell.
    I feel that these are a pretty simple firing pin to make.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

plenty of firing pins and breech block and hammer pins on my oriental lathe. About the simplest action you can work on, and clean up is a breeze.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!