Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: What is the pressure of this load?

Boolit Buddy

What is the pressure of this load?

I am a happy camper with my new rifle, a Winchester 1873 Miroku with a 24" barrel in 45 long colt. I shoot 1911's and have been using my lee 230gr TC 452 bullet in this 45 long colt. It shoots pretty good considering my 64 year old eyes with the stock rear sight. My load is 5.6grs of Red Dot and a WLP. I shoot off of my back deck at some clangers across the creek at about 70yds. I plan on shooting every day the weather permits and I do not want to stress out this toggle link style of lockup. I have plenty of other magnum style rifles and I am not looking to hot rod this beautiful gun. Is my load at black powder or less pressure? My chronograph gave up it's ghost so I an no help on velocity. Thanks
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that should be below factory pressure. Is that the rifle that Miroku is also making in .44 magnum? If so, you have no worries about pressure. Factory equivalent in .45 Colt and the old conical 250-260 grain bullet is 6.0 grains of Red Dot in .45 Colt. That bullet seats pretty deeply, too, so you are shooting a very mild load with the 230 grain and even less Red Dot.

The factory standard .45 Colt load is somewhere in the 14,000 psi range. Very mild.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Piedmont. No, miroku does make a 1873 in 44mag. I was hoping that someone can plug my load numbers into a program and come up with a good guesstimate of my load pressure? I'll keep shooting this load until I can upgrade and get a new mold and chronograph, once my funds recover.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!